todays snow storm

robbedagain

Veteran
Oct 13, 2003
Visit site
Today Flt1523 ABE-CLT-MYR cancelled after 2 1/2 hrs of trying like he!! to get the plane deiced in ice and ice pellets. The crew never performed their walk around duties and if they had done so, they would hve seen the number two engine frozen--it wouldnt turn. we alerted them and we used a heater to help dethaw the engine turbine. Is that even allowed just curious? Also,the fluid from the deicer which was just above 2000 degrees, froze on the plane as it came down the side of the nose and on the wings. to put it simply, it was just a pure disaster today. The plane had left the gate a few min late, then the capt says there are 2 air wisconsin crews (scheduled to)fly home to CLT but then are told after pushback to leave the airbus to ferry the frozen CRJ out to clt (which never happened. So after the airbus cxld, i and one other guy hooked up the electric heater to the plane. Question is with 2 hoses, one of which is hooked in to the plane, the other no head, are we allowed to leave the avaionics door closed or put a rag thru it instead of the headless hose going up into it? I am asking cuz it is a pain to reach up and put the hose as far into the avaionics bay. if we can just put a rag so the doors dont pressurize can anyone help with the answers thanks in advance

Today Flt1523 ABE-CLT-MYR cancelled after 2 1/2 hrs of trying like he!! to get the plane deiced in ice and ice pellets. The crew never performed their walk around duties and if they had done so, they would hve seen the number two engine frozen--it wouldnt turn. we alerted them and we used a heater to help dethaw the engine turbine. Is that even allowed just curious? Also,the fluid from the deicer which was just above 2000 degrees, froze on the plane as it came down the side of the nose and on the wings. to put it simply, it was just a pure disaster today. The plane had left the gate a few min late, then the capt says there are 2 air wisconsin crews (scheduled to)fly home to CLT but then are told after pushback to leave the airbus to ferry the frozen CRJ out to clt (which never happened. So after the airbus cxld, i and one other guy hooked up the electric heater to the plane. Question is with 2 hoses, one of which is hooked in to the plane, the other no head, are we allowed to leave the avaionics door closed or put a rag thru it instead of the headless hose going up into it? I am asking cuz it is a pain to reach up and put the hose as far into the avaionics bay. if we can just put a rag so the doors dont pressurize can anyone help with the answers thanks in advance
what really are you asking? Sorry, a bit confused here...you can use a soaked rag with deice fluid for the engine....blades...not really sure what was frozen here? O course heat always works but I have found by the time the heat comes outta the hose and where it needs to go---does not help...

COULD BE WORSE
Multiple JetBlue flights stuck for hours
Planes ran out of food and water as they sat for over 7 hours

(New York - WABC, February 14, 2007) - At JFK Airport today, at least four JetBlue planes are stuck on the runway fully loaded with passengers and children for hours.
The planes were running out of food and water -- and the passengers were running out of patience.

Eyewitness News has confirmed that JetBlue Flight 751 from JFK to Cancun has been sitting on the tarmac with 134 passengers aboard since pulling away from the gate at 10:20 this morning. The airline says it's arranged at long last for three Port Authority buses to get the stuck passengers off the plane.

The flight, which was scheduled to depart at 8:15 this morning, was caught up in weather delays after the airline tried to get the flight off the ground during a narrow takeoff window earlier today. The attempt failed. And because arriving flights left no gates free, Flight 751 sat on the tarmac for about seven and half hours after its scheduled departure time.

Two passengers aboard the flight contacted Eyewitness News saying passengers were unable to deplane, and that beverages were running short aboard the flight. JetBlue says the passengers were held on the flight because "we were operating as if the aircraft would be able to fly." The airline says it was relying on forecast models that indicated there would be a departure window.

JetBlue says it's cancelled about 125 of its 500 daily flights system wide. About 150 flights depart from JFK on an average day. JetBlue says it can't say precisely how many of its JFK flights got off the ground today.

JetBlue says at minimum, all the passengers aboard Flight 751 will get a full refund and complimentary round trip ticket on a future JetBlue flight. Jenny Dervin, a JetBlue spokesperson, says "the driver of this situation is the weather. The weather just did not play out as forecasted. But we know it does not relieve our responsibilities for our customers' comfort."

Dervin says the airline would never intentionally leave passengers sitting for hours aboard a plane that couldn't fly. "We would never intentionally do that. We would only position an aircraft if we thought we could depart that aircraft within a reasonable amount of time."

And Eyewitness News has learned about another JetBlue flight -- Flight 351 -- at JFK that was scheduled to depart at 6:45 a.m. but has been sitting on the tarmac. A viewer called in to say shortly after 4:30 p.m., the pilot told passengers they will deplane and be transported back to the terminal.

Late Wednesday afternoon, we found out that JetBlue Flight 850, which landed at 9:44 a.m. at JFK, has been sitting on the tarmac since.

(Copyright 2007 WABC-TV)
Print story E-Mail story Newsletters RSS

2000 degrees? Are you serious?

I'll bet you my house that deicing fluid is nowhere near 2000 degrees. Never. Maybe 200 degrees, but not 2000.

i was trying to ask, sorry for confusion, the turbine engine was frozen is it ok to use our electric heater hose with no head to melt the ice? also for the avionice bay door are we allowed to just keep a rag without the use of a heater? see our electric heater has two hoses--one with a head and the other we use for the avionics. thanks
soory for the confusion

i was trying to ask, sorry for confusion, the turbine engine was frozen is it ok to use our electric heater hose with no head to melt the ice? also for the avionice bay door are we allowed to just keep a rag without the use of a heater? see our electric heater has two hoses--one with a head and the other we use for the avionics. thanks
soory for the confusion
I'd say refer to the Ops manual (or whatever covers this situation) and go strictly by that. If it isn't covered call maintenance control for clarification. I wouldn't do ANYTHING that isn't covered exactly or else you could be personally liable for ANY mishap or worse.

COULD BE WORSE
Multiple JetBlue flights stuck for hours
B6 had ATC put a stop on their flights bound for JFK around 2 pm local this afternoon. As of now, it's scheduled to expire at 9 pm local.

American Eagle did the same for flights to LGA, JFK, & BOS, but that has ended.

Jim

B6 had ATC put a stop on their flights bound for JFK around 2 pm local this afternoon. As of now, it's scheduled to expire at 9 pm local.

American Eagle did the same for flights to LGA, JFK, & BOS, but that has ended.

Jim

On days like this sometimes it is better to just start
cancelling early and plan for tomorrow. If you hang in
there hoping to get some aircraft off the ground hours
late it just backfires for the next couple of days.

You should have been with us in IND, after the weather cleared 1:10 min to deice one plane!

exnw - "On days like this sometimes it is better to just start
cancelling early and plan for tomorrow."

Absolutely, plus I wonder if AA wasn't cancelling Eagle so they could move more mainline flights, thus moving more seats/passengers.

exnw - "On days like this sometimes it is better to just start
cancelling early and plan for tomorrow."

Absolutely, plus I wonder if AA wasn't cancelling Eagle so they could move more mainline flights, thus moving more seats/passengers.
Jim:
You just don't know how much when I use to work in the tower I would try to get them to do that very thing. But they would just keep on holding & holding on to those flights till it was to late & the harm done. It appears they may have got a little better but seems to me much more needs to be done. I don't know how many was stranded in CLT last night but it was alot & again lines outside baggage well you don't want to think about it. Yes I feel they should've been more proactive. But again I don't have the big picture.

Robbed--

Why were you trying to de-ice when ice pellets were falling? Besides being an exercise in futility, isn't it illegal for a plane to take off in that stuff (zero holdover time for the fluids)?

As for the heat on the CRJ, I'm not sure what ou're asking, but on the ones we see here, we hook up the heater cart in the back, and slide open the avionics bay door. Which is what 9E policy asks for...

I would just like to add a few things here as well. First, yes the crew SHOULD have noticed the frozen blades upon their walkaround. I have always observed crews inspecting the engine intake area, and have even seen a few move the blades by hand to ensure they move freely in these type of conditions. Secondly, the Glycol should not even be close to freezing up on the A/C at these temps IF is was a true and correct 60/40 mixture. I believe that is what is currently being used, and it should always be tested prior to using it. I can't recall the exact temps anymore, but that mixture ratio is not subject to freezing until the temps are well below Zero, which they were not. I know that we used to have the engine inlet tubs that were meant to avoild these type of situations, but not sure if they have them for the Airbus A/C or not. I know when I was still working, that we had them for all of the 737's, as well as the MD-80's, DC-9's, and F-100's. Whenever there was any type of a snow /ice event, we installed them on all of our RON A/C. As for the heater issue, the electric type needs to have am inlet hose as well as a return to work properly. If the return hose doesn't have the correct fitting for the E&E compartment door, it is worthless to have it just stuck up in there. When we used the diesel heaters, which are much better they didn't require a return hose. On some of the A/C, we had to leave a door cracked open a bit to keep the A/C from pressurizing. I hope that this covers all of your questions... :rolleyes:

You should have been with us in IND, after the weather cleared 1:10 min to deice one plane!
after the storm, it took us 2 1/2 hrs to clean the plane--the ice and snow was literally frozen on the plane

Robbed--

Why were you trying to de-ice when ice pellets were falling? Besides being an exercise in futility, isn't it illegal for a plane to take off in that stuff (zero holdover time for the fluids)?

As for the heat on the CRJ, I'm not sure what ou're asking, but on the ones we see here, we hook up the heater cart in the back, and slide open the avionics bay door. Which is what 9E policy asks for...
well it was sleeting and the capt had us deice in the sleeting but afterwards, the ice pellets came hard and fast and we couldnt keep up at all. as for illegal to take off i think it is although i saw a CRJ 700 of United take off and an Allegiant Air MD88 takeoff we dont heat the crj at all we have only one heater that works--an electric one but the return doesnt work too well the diesel doesnt put out heat at all. However, when we lost our mainline jobs, they took all of the covers, and we have never had the airbus engine covers. we only have one deicing truck the other one blew up a few weks back.

Latest posts