Travelers were not taking their carry-on baggage on flights

john john

Veteran
Contributor
Sep 12, 2004
Travelers were not taking their carry-on baggage on flights that means more check bags with US Airways being 2/3 express and airport staff already strained. The more check bags problem is developing THIS HAS TO BE ADDRESS NOW!

"It will mean extra baggage volume, which will mean more labor expense because you need more people to load and unload the bags," he said. "The extra baggage also will displace cargo capacity in planes, used to carry mail and other cargo and, in the case of international flights, palletized cargo, which is very lucrative."
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburgh...s/s_465795.html

And checked bags weigh 30 pounds rather than 20.

It is good for the CRJ200 that is always nose heavy but bad for other planes.
CRJ200/700/900 are getting bulk out in the bin not enough room….

One of the problems that currently exists is that enforcement is inconsistent.

Anecdotally, we flew early on Thursday morning (the first day of the current reality) and returned on Sunday. At LAX check-in yesterday, we were told only one carry-on per person. A woman's handbag and a separate bag were not allowed. Upon boarding, there were several passengers with two relatively large carry-ons.

This was my first time checking any baggage since March, 1997. My wife is an anomaly among women in that she can pack for a ten day trip in a carry-on and a small shoulder tote. Guess that makes her a keeper. :D

Let's hope that everyone gets on the same page.

One of the problems that currently exists is that enforcement is inconsistent.

When has the TSA ever been consistant? I see NOTHING on the TSA web site that limits carry ons to one bag. In fact, their FAQ and information is quite clear on everything else.

I'm not sure why this is a problem? It was getting excessive the amount of things and the size of bags that people were carrying on. This weekend I think the most carry ons we had on a flight was 6 this weekend. The craziest was a DCA flight that averaged around 20-we had 3.

I always liked it at Christmas when everyone checked everything. You know what the restrictions are, especially on the Dash. When you have a max of 34/34, 33 people checked in and 37 checked bags, you know that you will probably won't have more than the 6 carry ons you can squeeze on. You can plan ahead. There isn't any last minute volunteers needed because you know ahead of time how many bags you have.

Also, do the rampers really mind? Carry on's are such a pain, especially for those stations that use jetways. The bags haven't grown in size or number. As checked bags they are just 30 lbs.

When has the TSA ever been consistant? I see NOTHING on the TSA web site that limits carry ons to one bag. In fact, their FAQ and information is quite clear on everything else.

In this case, the inconsistency is what passengers were being told by US Airways staff.

Someone decided to make up their own rules then, didnt read the entire memo, or has comprehension problems. There was never a reduction in carryon allowance, except for customers leaving the UK, at any time.

The rules are changing on a daily basis though, and what we were told in the morning was very often changed by the afternoon. If someone didnt get caught up on the current info, they would still be advising the earlier restrictions. Until the dust settles and the TSA decides exactly what they want to ban or not for good, its just easier to check things on the questionable list and be done with it.

If they had REGULAR JETS, this would NOT BE A PROBLEM.
Does not take a rocket scientist to determine this.

Here in lies (another) problem.
Philly is short ramp workers, right?
Can't seem to pay a livable wage so we resorted to giving bonuses for recruting...but that's another story.

Friday the LAX flight came in early...not due in till 1440 but arrived at 1420. It was suppose to park at B6 but B6
had a dumpster fire (excess from confiscated items is what was said).
They then moved it to B9. Flt parked there around 1430.
It was not until approximately 1610-1615 when rampers show up to unload the bags. Mind you this flight was suppose to leave for Pit @ 1530. So the 1530 finally arrived in Pit (I think) around 1810.
Now just add more bags to this situation and see the domino effect.

Here in lies (another) problem.
Philly is short ramp workers, right?
Can't seem to pay a livable wage so we resorted to giving bonuses for recruting...but that's another story.

Now just add more bags to this situation and see the domino effect.

Crellins head should roll for the mess that continues to grow in Philly. Local management is like a herd of deer looking at the headlights of oncoming traffic. The solution has always been simple for Philly Massive amounts of Equipment and Bring a wage that brings in skill and common sense workers who will want to work for a future. If they keep hiring fast food workers they will never rid the major problems. Tempe should stop putting Band aids on PHL and do a whole surgery before it dies.

I'm not sure why this is a problem?...

...Also, do the rampers really mind? Carry on's are such a pain, especially for those stations that use jetways. The bags haven't grown in size or number. As checked bags they are just 30 lbs.

Agreed. This "problem" is not effecting PIT express operations adversely. Same number of bags are going on the aircraft, and PIT rarely cuts bags for space or weight.

The solution has always been simple for Philly Massive amounts of Equipment and Bring a wage that brings in skill and common sense workers who will want to work for a future. If they keep hiring fast food workers they will never rid the major problems.

1. Although Philadelphia Ramp has gotten some new equipment, it is not nearly enough. The older equipment can rarely be counted on to be operational.

2. Only limited skill is needed to handle most bags. Muscle is useful.

3. Most fast food workers accomplish what they are asked to do.

1. Although Philadelphia Ramp has gotten some new equipment, it is not nearly enough. The older equipment can rarely be counted on to be operational.

2. Only limited skill is needed to handle most bags. Muscle is useful.

3. Most fast food workers accomplish what they are asked to do.

Got to disagree with point 2 sorry about that. I believe they are higher skilled than the public would believe, most think Fleet Service just moves bags. When a 30 million dollar airplane being pushed around on the field having a 9 buck an hour who doesnt care about his job or this Airplane driving it makes some nervous. You should see the way some of these new hires drive other ground equipment most of the rookies working this equipment dont own a car so this is there first time driving. They think ramp equipment are toys. Most dont have any skills in handling emergencys such as a ramp fire the other day. Most new hires just stood around and only a few seniors took proper action. Think about that the next time you fly you want the cheapest labor handling your safety? The new hires are thrown onto the ramp in less than a week with limited training. Its my opinion but I predict with this type of rushing troops to the battlefield will lead to a fatal accident due to no skills! Fleet Service when trained correctly are very skilled to handle many types of equipment procedures. We trained and skilled they hook up all electrical AC/Heating to Jets Park Planes thru hand signals and countless other duties including Tower Operations which direct Aiplanes on the inner field they also over see all the belts which sort thousand of bags on outdated broken belt systems. The conduct and process weight and balance for the airplanes to fly correctly oh yeah and they move and load very heavy bags on planes and a hell of alot of them in all types of weather.

As far as point 3 management at most Fast Food places wouldnt stand for any crap like we have in PHL they have huge turn over rates as well and at least have they guts to fire and correct problem people. In PHL the management just looks the other way and all it does now is just throw mud to try to get some to stick. PHL is so bad so potential good workers quit faster than they can replace.
They have to bribe workers to work weekends giving new hires ipods and tv as gifts. Management problem is it just doesnt Manage!

Latest posts