When Carry-ons Don't Fit

Sky High -

Lighten up.....everyone knows and appreciates of the safety aspect of the F/A profession. But as a F/A you can not ignore the service aspect of your profession by saying "I am here to save your a$$, not kiss it".

When you sit in the galley like a large blue slug doing bid sheets, nails and crossword puzzles what do you expect creating that kind of perception? One thing I will say is that since the merger I've noticed much less of that type of behavior.
Thank you for your service to the customers of US Airways.

BOB.......that "slug" didnt decide to TAKE AWAY....HOT MEALS....HOT TOWELS....MINTS.. SUNDAES OR WARM RAMICANS OF NUTS. They received a Service MEMO of the changes. Just a shocked as............................YOU.

Geeze, this thread has gone to hay. What did I say about some f/as being spring loaded? Trust me, it's not that hard. Be nice and remember the passenger is not your enemy. Kiss kiss

Eye

We know, that's why when someone makes the kind of comments Twice does the response is what it is. I was one of the FFOCUS members who told Chris Chiames to his face that every worker needs to be treated with dignity & respect and that Please & Thank you was not merely nice it was good business as it would boost morale & Productivity.

You think for one minute of one day that we don't care? Maybe that's why we find the attitude displayed just as offensive as you found our reaction to it.

When you sit in the galley like a large blue slug doing bid sheets, nails and crossword puzzles what do you expect creating that kind of perception? One thing I will say is that since the merger I've noticed much less of that type of behavior. Christ there is a whole thread devoted to that kind of stuff. It ain't urban legend. Like anything else in life, the few spoil it for the many. Just keep on doing a great job and WE DO appreciate your efforts.

Thank you for your service to the customers of US Airways.

Speaking of slug, where did that limey guy end up? Pimpin' and ho'in on K-Street?

Eye

Christ there is a whole thread devoted to that kind of stuff. It ain't urban legend.

:D

When people like HalfBaked make comments like IT did, those comments demean IT's fellow employees who take pride in the service that they provide (both customer service and service of safety). I have a bunch of rules when I travel with other people and one of them is to not treat the FA's like it is the 60's. So, TwiceCrocked can call me out in a PM to tell me how IT really feels, OnceBroiled can challenge me to a duel, IT doesn't matter, IT has to live with IT's feelings of inadequacy, not me.

From the AFA website, a fairly recent article, March 12, 2006 (and back on topic) ;)
http://www.afanet.org/default.asp?id=775
Sad, the AFA should have filled the room with the hundreds of flight attendants and good customers that have been injured by carry on luggage to drive the point home. What strikes me most is the ATA concern with inconvenience for the business customer rather than safety.

She sounds more like a check out girl at service station. You know the type, chewing gum, cant make change without a calculator, not to mention the "home made" tattoos with babies daddy name, cross with a knife through it, blood dripping from the end. You know,.....real class act.

Some times when you're having a really crappy day, you lash out at somebody and later regret it. Although Twicebaked and I dont see eye to eye on many issues, I was wrong in the personal attack, and I want to apologize for that, and since the attack was in a public forum, so too should be the apology.

Sorry twicebaked.

Hula

Sad, the AFA should have filled the room with the hundreds of flight attendants and good customers that have been injured by carry on luggage to drive the point home. What strikes me most is the ATA concern with inconvenience for the business customer rather than safety.

No kidding! My ten year old son could have been in that room. Some old bag dragged her stuff out of an overhead bin and dropped a heavy case on his head. My boy had to go to the emergency room while the criminal took off up the jetway! :angry:

After that incident, I made doubly sure not to get an aisle seat (for me or my children). I like window seats but sometimes don't get one. I would rather sit in a middle seat than get a concussion from someone else's selfishness. :down:

No kidding! My ten year old son could have been in that room. Some old bag dragged her stuff out of an overhead bin and dropped a heavy case on his head. My boy had to go to the emergency room while the criminal took off up the jetway! :angry:

After that incident, I made doubly sure not to get an aisle seat (for me or my children). I like window seats but sometimes don't get one. I would rather sit in a middle seat than get a concussion from someone else's selfishness. :down:
If I had a dollar for everytime I got whacked in the head by a large purse, laptop bag, backpack, etc., well I would be retired and wouldn't have to travel. When will people learn to move bags from their shoulders to their hands when they hit the aisles? You can see the purse coming when she is yacking to the person behind her, and has to turn around to talk......FORE!!!! Everybody duck!!!!

The worst was one time when a woman whacked me really hard in the head, looked at me and then kept moving. I had a really bad day already and wasn't in the mood, so I grabbed her bag and pulled her back to me and said 'the least you could do is say you're sorry'!!

Recently I've seen far too many people open overheads from their seat and yank their stuff out. No thought to the other items stowed up there or the damage that can do to the person below. Thoughtless and really self absorbed behavior. Apparently raised in a barn!

It is important to keep in mind this is public transportation and one should carefully watch out for themselves. Self handling of luggage is important to keep down the CASM.

If I had a dollar for everytime I got whacked in the head by a large purse, laptop bag, backpack, etc., well I would be retired and wouldn't have to travel. When will people learn to move bags from their shoulders to their hands when they hit the aisles? You can see the purse coming when she is yacking to the person behind her, and has to turn around to talk......FORE!!!! Everybody duck!!!!

The worst was one time when a woman whacked me really hard in the head, looked at me and then kept moving. I had a really bad day already and wasn't in the mood, so I grabbed her bag and pulled her back to me and said 'the least you could do is say you're sorry'!!

My favorite incident occured on a PIT - LGA flight. The "gentleman" across the aisle from me removed his briefcase with the brass corners from the overhead and smack me right in the middle of my forehead with it. He didn't even acknowledge that he did it. The F/A's in the galley witnessed what happened and had a "deer in the headlights look" and came over to me to see if I was ok.

Do people EVER say "excuse me" or "pardon me" anymore?

They bump into you or hit you with something and usually give you a dirty look!!

Here is an article that comments about what a compactor is doing regarding carry on baggage: http://www.alaskasworld.com/NEWS/2006/05/0...board.asp?print

Carrying baggage One of the more surprising results of the tests, Bellinger said, was the effect of carry-on luggage on the boarding process.
“Everybody talks about the amount and size of carry-on luggage that people try to bring on the aircraft, which is an issue we need to address,â€￾ she said. “In one test, we put pictures of properly stowed bags in the overhead bins and divided the bins into thirds with parallel lines on the lids. Passengers spotted the stripes and automatically flipped their bags so they would fit between them. This really helped to speed boarding. Flight attendants loved it. We’re working to have bin stripes painted on all our aircraft by the end of the year.â€￾ “Not every passenger will see the lines and flip their bag the right way,â€￾ said Flight Attendant Kurt Mason, who served on the process improvement team. “But even if only a few do, it will help speed the boarding process.â€￾

Not so fast “CSAs can clear as many as 15 passengers per minute at the boarding podium, but only eight passengers per minute go through the aircraft door,â€￾ said Bellinger. “This often causes a backup in the jetway. It’s counter intuitive, but CSAs actually have more time than they perceive. They can create a better boarding experience without slowing the process by spending a bit more time with each passenger: tagging oversized carry-on bags and strollers, and addressing each customer by name.â€￾ Adds Mason: “CSAs tell me they like the idea of slowing things down a bit at the gate because it puts customer service back in the mix. Better matching the flow of passengers through the gate and onto the aircraft makes the whole boarding process calmer and less stressful for customers and flight attendants.â€￾

jec9, you rock, as always!
Both points of the article are right on target!
The lines on the bin are a good idea.
And, a calmer attitude during the boarding process helps IMMENSELY! Both from gate agents, AND FAs!

Latest posts