When Carry-ons Don't Fit

Not so fast “CSAs can clear as many as 15 passengers per minute at the boarding podium, but only eight passengers per minute go through the aircraft door,â€￾ said Bellinger. “This often causes a backup in the jetway. It’s counter intuitive, but CSAs actually have more time than they perceive. They can create a better boarding experience without slowing the process by spending a bit more time with each passenger: tagging oversized carry-on bags and strollers, and addressing each customer by name.â€￾ Adds Mason: “CSAs tell me they like the idea of slowing things down a bit at the gate because it puts customer service back in the mix. Better matching the flow of passengers through the gate and onto the aircraft makes the whole boarding process calmer and less stressful for customers and flight attendants.â€￾ [/font] [/size]
Slow down boarding and interact with the customers sounds go to me
I didn't know we were on a slow down are we in contract negotiations is their a labor dispute? Seriously if you slow down boarding the passages slow down and every thing is in slow motion I think gate agents would love this one problem ground time.If CWA went on record and say this the company would possibly try to impose a fine

Not exactly on the topic of carry-on baggage, but an article abouting boarding in general. Notice that HP is mentioned and that changes are probably on the way in the future....

Article

Jim

Worked trip to PHX and noticed the sizers going the way of the US one’s. The sizer just ahead of security checkpoint at Terminal B had a trash can and table in front of it so no one could have gotten to it if they wanted too. Let’s just get some nice ferns and place them in the thing so it at least looks nice.

Also noticed on this wonderful 4 day trip that many folks are coming down the loading bridge with 3 bags! :shock: Did the limits change and no one told us?

I can't believe this....A woman actually came down the jetway for our flight to vegas today with TWO yes count em T-W-O rollerboards. Now how in HELL could she get by the agent collecting tickets at the door? Then another guy comes down with a rollerboard and a mini halfsized rollerboard. I'm sorry, that is not a personal item. Do agents know that we don't get paid until the door is closed? That all the boarding we do is charity work? Our objective is to get that door closed and get paid (hoping they are done loading below. The carryon bag issue is getting waaaaaaaay out of control. I understand people are afraid to check luggage but to carry all that around with you is nuts.

I can't believe this....A woman actually came down the jetway for our flight to vegas today with TWO yes count em T-W-O rollerboards. That all the boarding we do is charity work? Our objective is to get that door closed and get paid
Sizers at every Jetway door is the only way we are going to get a handle on this! Also don’t forget, if you work for US-East the a/c has to MOVE FORWARD NINE FEET UNDER IS OWN POWER BEFORE YOUR PAY STARTS.

I did like the suggestion of the lines in the bins…this would work on all US East a/c except 767.

As I am typing this I’m thinking maybe we (flight attendants) should start our segment off by talking a little more with the agents working the flight. Open the line of communications about the bag issues and make sure we are all on the same page.

I have also begun taking a quick look in the customer boarding area to make sure there are no obvious problem bags. If I do see one, I introduce myself and explain that the luggage is too large for the a/c cabin and offer my assistance with taking care of it now, rather than hold up the boarding process and possibly delay the flight.

I remember flying DCA-PIT about a year ago with one rollerboard shared by myself and my female traveling companion. I asked the F/A's if it was okay to bring it on board, because up to that point I had been used to leaving it either planeside or in a jetway for Express agents to load in the cargo bin. The F/A's were taken aback in a good way and told me it should be just fine to place in an overhead, and then they thanked me for taking the initiative to ask them.

That was a good experience. To boot, we spent two nights in Washington with what we packed into one rollerboard. That's two changes of clothing, toiletries, and assorted gifts for family during our visit. Our personal items were small daypacks with our electronics, her purse and sneakers for after we got off the plane. They weren't overstuffed and fit very well under the seats.

It would be a good idea to teach passengers how to pack appropriately for a trip. Besides the obvious benefits to F/A's, traveling light makes it easier to get around before and after the flight. It also makes unpacking a breeze when you get home.

Why would they care?
Meaning that we want paid. Some take the stance that we are going out of our way to delay the flight. We want out of there and possibly leave early. This kind of crap usually leaves you arriving into your last city late and delaying your already short 9 hour and 15 minute overnight anyway. I do honestly think the bags could be monitored more before they make it down the jetway. I also think on the f/a end that most and I'm sorry to say this but are not that proactive on getting the overheads closed and spaces made. Ya know...the B that hides in the back and the C that pretends to be busy saying Hi up front... We all have worked with that kind.

The policy is somewhat ambigious because further in that section it says:

Underseat Stowage--21L x 16W x 8H

Note that this is has an overall dimension of 45" - the sum of length, heigth, and width.

That's over 1/2 the size of my crew rollaboard - as long as the outside pockets aren't stuffed. Doubling the above would yield 32L x 21W x 8H which would only fit in the overhead lengthwise.

Jim

Latest posts