Trip Report PHL-FCO

Jan 19, 2010
Sitting now in the 1st class lounge waiting to board 719 back to PHL, have an hour to burn so will report outbound trip to FCO

Upon check in at PHL on a hot Monday, the lines were small, and upon asking the check in person, we were graciously and freely moved into row 1. I was happy about this for the experience, and also for the leg room, as i am quite tall. Moving quickly into the Envoy Lounge, found it to be clean, quiet, and a decent selection of food. Nice wines, French, Italian, and perhaps one Spanish, and a clean self service area. They could have used one more person collecting remaining dishes/glasses, but most importantly, they had someone tending the self service area non-stop.

Arriving at gate, the flight was oversold, and worse, the APU on 274 was broken, thus no A/C on board. They announced in the boarding area this dilema, and asked everyone to please board quickly. We were first to board, and it was sticky HOT on board. Used to flying transcon on 321s, i was expecting a riot in the back. 10 pleasant minutes later the enitre boarding was complete. Simply amazing how quickly it took. Engine start at the gate before push back, and because at A25, that was a good thing, as we waiting 10 more minutes for traffic to clear behind us to push. Once back, pilot used excessive engine power at idle, and taxi, and we had 2 aircraft wait, and we were off. Looking out the window, we were lucky, as a US757, must have had something wrong, and was taxing back down the taxi way, which caused 8-10 planes waiting on the apron closests to the teriminal to depart.

In any event, I was extremely surprised at how quickly, especially given the heat and hunidity, at how fast the plane got off the runway, and how quick the plane climbed. The 343 Air Tahiti was scarely slow to lift, and then climb.

Two male FA up front galley. Each guy took an isle to himself, and worked their tales off. LIterally running up and down the isle with drinks, appetizers, and the works. I was not expecting our meal to come from behind us, but we were served first. The nuts were not warmed at all, but nicely salted. The Caprese was cold, crisp, and right up there with Caprese we had in Italy; seriously. The filet was good meat, although slightly undercooked for my taste. After a food coma nap, nice moose, and petit fors for desert. I forgot to ask for, but they did not offer any expresso, and the machine was not used. Another glass of wine, then put to work the lie flat seats.

The seats were great with movement, although the hydrolics in my seats must be low or a leak, as when the legs were fully extended, the leg extension would lower 1/4. Problem solved somewhat by lifting the seat portion upwards. Found the seats comfortable, yet somewhat narrow. Wife found them great, and she could sleep on her side, whereas I could not. Nonetheless, the movie system was fine for me, maybe I do not know what else is out there. Last time I flew 1st AA-763 MIA-SFO, they handed out the movie player, and we had to hold. US is the same system I had in AF coach 7 yrs ago.

The experienced FA told me that the former Envoy was fantastic product, 2 FA just for 6 people, and 4 or 5 for the rest of first. He said he used to carve meat and fe4sh turkey breats up front for the Envoy people, and other amentities. You could see the pride on his face in talking about it.

Bottom line, it was a very good experience because of the people. The man from Boston could be pissed that his station was closed, but in stead he ran his ass off, smiled every time and gave the paying customers the best experience he was capable of providing. For that, I say thank you.

FYI, also upgraded to row 1 on the way home, interested to see how this experience goes. Also, this lounge is crowded, has dirty bathrooms, no toiler seats in the ladies room, and dirty mens rooms. Okay, they just called to board. Report on trip home in few days....

Reactions: 4 people
and upon asking the check in person, we were graciously and freely moved into row 1.

Also, is it worth the $300pp upgrade to row 1 for the sleeper seat on the overnight. How much light comes in from the galley and restrooms.
To get a free upgrade is violation of policy and ground for discipline. This is way it is. Service fee service fee service fee service fee
How much did you pay for you ticket? Since the topic is you trip did you pay any service fees?

Reactions: 1 person
I think I would just say, "Thanks for flying US..."
Sorry, But all upgrades are service fees and we do love your business and are devoted in helping you in every way thanks for using USAirways

Is that better?

Sorry, But all upgrades are service fees and we do love your business and are devoted in helping you in every way thanks for using USAirways

Is that better?
Much better .Don't be such a kiljoy. Jeez. what do you care if they upgraded him for free or not??
Either way, I am glad to hear you had a good experience going over. I will working PHL-FCO tomorrow the 19th .Looking foward to it .

Is that better?

No, it's not better, unless your goal is to drive away happy customers. BTW he did't say he was moved "for free", he said he was moved "freely", as in without a hassle.

No, it's not better, unless your goal is to drive away happy customers. BTW he did't say he was moved "for free", he said he was moved "freely", as in without a hassle.
If every body got a freely upgrade they would be very happy customers. What every that means
Did they pay or not. It is about a detail trip report

I actually got tears in my eyes when I read the part about the flight attendant describing, with "pride" the carving in First in the past. I sincerely appreciate REALISTIC OBSERVER's post and constructive critique and thoughtful words. Obviously this customer cares enough about base closures and what personal issues might have caused a flight attendant to have a harder time at work, etc. That said, thank you for the post. And for you, John John, seriously man, your posts gave me indigestion. I'm still annoyed about it.

And for you, John John, seriously man, your posts gave me indigestion. I'm still annoyed about it.

My point is about the upgrade free/pay not the cabin service
Management is all over this
I'm sorry I had to fight in the middle of your Flight Attendant party

My point is about the upgrade free/pay not the cabin service
Management is all over this

Was the passenger a very frequent flyer,was the passenger paying a full y fare?If there is room up front,why not showcase first class service for regular customers.This could translate in the best advertising possible,a satisfied customer telling others about his positive experience. :)

Was the passenger a very frequent flyer,was the passenger paying a full y fare?If there is room up front,why not showcase first class service for regular customers.This could translate in the best advertising possible,a satisfied customer telling others about his positive experience. :)
I agree 100% but unfortunately service fees is what management insist on
I don’t expect F/A's to be to concern about upgrade fees

Sitting now in the 1st class lounge waiting to board 719 back to PHL, have an hour to burn so will report outbound trip to FCO

Upon check in at PHL on a hot Monday, the lines were small, and upon asking the check in person, we were graciously and freely moved into row 1. I was happy about this for the experience, and also for the leg room, as i am quite tall. Moving quickly into the Envoy Lounge, found it to be clean, quiet, and a decent selection of food. Nice wines, French, Italian, and perhaps one Spanish, and a clean self service area. They could have used one more person collecting remaining dishes/glasses, but most importantly, they had someone tending the self service area non-stop.

Arriving at gate, the flight was oversold, and worse, the APU on 274 was broken, thus no A/C on board. They announced in the boarding area this dilema, and asked everyone to please board quickly. We were first to board, and it was sticky HOT on board. Used to flying transcon on 321s, i was expecting a riot in the back. 10 pleasant minutes later the enitre boarding was complete. Simply amazing how quickly it took. Engine start at the gate before push back, and because at A25, that was a good thing, as we waiting 10 more minutes for traffic to clear behind us to push. Once back, pilot used excessive engine power at idle, and taxi, and we had 2 aircraft wait, and we were off. Looking out the window, we were lucky, as a US757, must have had something wrong, and was taxing back down the taxi way, which caused 8-10 planes waiting on the apron closests to the teriminal to depart.

In any event, I was extremely surprised at how quickly, especially given the heat and hunidity, at how fast the plane got off the runway, and how quick the plane climbed. The 343 Air Tahiti was scarely slow to lift, and then climb.

Two male FA up front galley. Each guy took an isle to himself, and worked their tales off. LIterally running up and down the isle with drinks, appetizers, and the works. I was not expecting our meal to come from behind us, but we were served first. The nuts were not warmed at all, but nicely salted. The Caprese was cold, crisp, and right up there with Caprese we had in Italy; seriously. The filet was good meat, although slightly undercooked for my taste. After a food coma nap, nice moose, and petit fors for desert. I forgot to ask for, but they did not offer any expresso, and the machine was not used. Another glass of wine, then put to work the lie flat seats.

The seats were great with movement, although the hydrolics in my seats must be low or a leak, as when the legs were fully extended, the leg extension would lower 1/4. Problem solved somewhat by lifting the seat portion upwards. Found the seats comfortable, yet somewhat narrow. Wife found them great, and she could sleep on her side, whereas I could not. Nonetheless, the movie system was fine for me, maybe I do not know what else is out there. Last time I flew 1st AA-763 MIA-SFO, they handed out the movie player, and we had to hold. US is the same system I had in AF coach 7 yrs ago.

The experienced FA told me that the former Envoy was fantastic product, 2 FA just for 6 people, and 4 or 5 for the rest of first. He said he used to carve meat and fe4sh turkey breats up front for the Envoy people, and other amentities. You could see the pride on his face in talking about it.

Bottom line, it was a very good experience because of the people. The man from Boston could be pissed that his station was closed, but in stead he ran his ass off, smiled every time and gave the paying customers the best experience he was capable of providing. For that, I say thank you.

FYI, also upgraded to row 1 on the way home, interested to see how this experience goes. Also, this lounge is crowded, has dirty bathrooms, no toiler seats in the ladies room, and dirty mens rooms. Okay, they just called to board. Report on trip home in few days....
First of all--and above all--Thank YOU for flying USAirways. it was their pleasure to serve you. I've read some of the comments from John John and they make me sick--and I haven't been here for quite awhile. Soooo let me ask him--how much is good customer service and great customer reports to their friends worth to you. That's something US no longer understands. First of all you'll tell your friends what a great flight you had with outstanding service--next time ask for a seat extender--you can get on your side even in coach with one--and then you will probably either book envoy or pay to upgrade in the future. That in itself would have paid for the upgrade this time--and it will continue to pay for it when you tell your friends. (Deleted by Moderator: Vulgarity)

The plane home was #271, and my row 1 seat was a piece of crap. The motors stopped halfway to do anything, and the leg section had little to no hydrolic fluid remaining, so only a 1/4 leg lift off the floor even at full recline. Also, the head rest was not attached to the seat, so, i could not use the side comfort features while trying to read up right, and when fully reclined, it fell off.

We had some old school FA up front who was quite a character. I have seen posts on here from other people about a certain F/A who puts on lipstick every 20-25 minutes. Well I had her.

I have to say, the food was much better coming out of Philly. I had the same filet of beef on both planes, and the beef was tough out of FCO. The salad was small, not plated very well, and was brown at the base of the lettuce roots. However, the rolls were hot and great, and they were nice enough to hold the cheese plate for me until I was hungry mid way through the flight, but then there were no crackers. Potato chips and blue cheese actually make for an interesting blend. The chicken on the arrival salad was hot, tasty, and delicious, and the rest of the salad was crisp. I was never without drinks, or extra nuts, and again, the FA's did the best they could with what they had.

They only complaint I have is the temperature of the cabin. I asked once for it to become cooler, and I saw that the 333 has 3 zones for HVAC, and each was set on 76. I asked if they could turn down the front and they did to 74, I asked if they could make it cooler, and was told no. Is there a regulated cabin temperature by the contracts. I have been in planes which were ice buckets, which i have enjoyed. And yes, I understand how poorly the circulation works on the 321's. I thinkj it is more of how comfortable the F/A are which ultimately determines the temperature.

Final summation, paying for row #1 iis a toss up. If your seat does not work, then it s not worth the money My wife's seats worked perfectly on both flights, and the people next to me had no problem extending their legs and keeping the platform elevated, and the man was a big man too. There are 2 benefits; you get provacy being in the smaller cabin, and you do not have the peoples seats infront of you reclining over your legs. To me, that part alone is worth the $300 costs of the seat and smaller cabin. The bonus is that you also get served first, and you have an easier time getting your drinks refilled too. However, the seats are hard

Overall a good experience, but US should spend the little money to fix those seats, even though they are taking them out within the year. I also dont know what your outlined service routine is, or should be, but on a 9 hour flight, I would not mind a slower first course serving, whereas everything was done within 2 hours. Not for all, but for some, the experience of first/business on international IS the service, food, and drink. Again, it all goes back to the people who make the experience. Thanks to those who made it enjoyable.

Latest posts