Twinkees Dead, Union Charged with Ho-Homicide..

What is wrong with WalMart wages?

There is NOTHING wrong with Wal-Mart wages! What is wrong is Wal-Mart's management approach.

For example take a Wendy's. You start there at around $8.00/hr now. However there is a solid career path that can take you from associate, shift lead, assistant manager, Assistant General Manager right up to your own store as General Manager, Assistant GM pays about $26,000 and a good General Manager can break $50,000. Not the greatest for sure but if you leverage the opportunity you can get a college degree courtesy of Wendy's and some student loans if the degree in in food service or hospitality. It took my friend about 5 years to climb the ladder and in June she graduates from Baker University and is already fielding inquiries,

OTOH, Wal-Mart offers no such opportunities. After 3 to 5 years as an associate the company begins disciplinary actions, often out of thin air and within 6 months you are terminated in many cases. Top of Scale at Wal-mart isn't that bad for retail it's just that the company makes sure very few get there.

The rest of the problem is YOU the consumer. Don't like the way they do business or their cheap arsed falling apart products, stay home or go to Costco, Target anyplace else that suits you. The people need to speak with their wallets or NOTHING will change

Wonderful......is Wally required to provide paths to betterment??

Wouldn't that be some type of gimme a libertarian would shun?

People are not required to work at wally anymore than your or I are required to buy there.

Retail for the most part is high turnover low skill jobs. Has been will be forever.
Extra income for the wife or income for the hubby in between jobs.....you are in between jobs and now it is a requirement you get the same wage you left?

Or better yet, KC indicates now we have to work two jobs to make a paycheck....why is that?
All kinds gov't freebies available for schooling to better ones self, especially under Dems.....

Or the old lady has to work because prices are so damn high due to taxation and government subsidies?

And now the workforce is getting cozy with the entitlements offered for those willing to work low wage jobs and vote for those who provide the entitlements?

So now we got a government lazy nonmotivated class here willing to 'get by' ?

All Wendy's provides is a path. You as an employee have to walk down said path.

Wal-mart need do nothing but comply with the law. Truth is they don't.

Wal-Mart said on Tuesday that it would pay at least $352 million, and possibly far more, to settle lawsuits across the country claiming that it forced employees to work off the clock. Several lawyers described it as the largest settlement ever for lawsuits over wage violations.
​
​http://www.nytimes.c...lmart.html?_r=0

These are not moral people. We keep hearing that we are a Christian nation. Well in my mind no Christian should ever darken the doorstep of a Wal-Mart as an employee or customer.

Unless they got bills to pay on the way to a better future.

That's retail sales.

Honestly Dell, I'd stay with my Mom or sister before I worked for Wal-Mart. To me they are just as wrong as Obama is for America. They are both a scar upon the land.

All Wendy's provides is a path. You as an employee have to walk down said path.

Wal-mart need do nothing but comply with the law. Truth is they don't.

​
​http://www.nytimes.c...lmart.html?_r=0

These are not moral people. We keep hearing that we are a Christian nation. Well in my mind no Christian should ever darken the doorstep of a Wal-Mart as an employee or customer.

If we are such a Christian nation, why then are we not walking around naked without computers, cell phones and just about any other item made which we use daily without batting an eye from where it came or how and who made it at what sacrifice?

I'm not disagreeing with you or saying that where the US has moved is good for the American people. I am saying that economically the US had no choice but to push for global trade because the world was an economic wreck post WWII while the US had an enormously powerful industrial engine that it had to either quickly convert to peacetime use or dismantle it at the expense of millions of jobs.

IN the decades after WWII, the US industrial and agricultural machine gave the US an economic advantage that no other country could match. Ironically, it was Japan and Germany, who the US most helped recover from WWII that fared the best as the US taught them how to rebuild their economies.

As other economies grew, they wanted a piece of the action as well and it became impossible to exclude them. More recently, it has been American consumer spending and American industrial and agricultural expertise that has fueled the growth of the developing world.

WWII was a pivotal point in the development of the western economic system and it made the US so much more powerful than any other country that it became impossible for it to be sustained without spreading the wealth that the US created to other countries.

The human cost has come in the developed countries esp. in Europe and Japan which made enormous social promises as they rebuilt their societies; it is now apparent that those promises cannot be kept because those countries are not creating enough wealth to support the social systems that were created.

The US is only slightly better off because we didn't make promises that were near as large and because private enterprise took greater responsibility for providing those benefits than did government.

The flip side is that life really is better for many of the poorest of the poor. While the standard of living in many parts of the world is still horrid by western standards, there are many people in the world who are better off today than they or their families were 20 years ago.

Being a part of the global economy has certainly been costly to a lot of Americans but few people consider what would have happened if the US had chosen economic isolationism.

It makes it pretty hard to understand why Twinkies aren't made anymore and why it is so difficult to push up US wages without understanding these dynamics.

I agree with your assessment and will up the ante. Commerce, which is what you have been talking about, has been happening since the beginning of time. Trade happens among cultures and the diversity depends on the distance of travel. Without getting into any long winded explanation, look at the Mediterranean as model. Within that area cultures, foods, habits, etc., are different but similar. You have a greater distance across the pond.

Don't kid yourself, WW2 only enlightened us on the importance of oil, everything else is propaganda. It was in 1973, when the Saudis and Muslims realized they had a weapon to be used against us that we were forced into Globalization. I learned from Europe. Did you?

Reactions: 1 person
Not my cup of tea. Either way, perhaps Walmart is looking for a target audience. Pay to low? Under 20 or over 55. No medical? Kids living at home or retirees with insurance. Being a competitive retailer with a low price reputation? Employees have to take the fall. Don't like it? Don't let the door hit you where the Lord split you!

Why bother filling out an application if you're not gonna be happy WITH THEIR TERMS there? Hey when I retire, I hope to make extra bucks there, and I can afford better than boloney now!

Don't kid yourself, WW2 only enlightened us on the importance of oil, everything else is propaganda. It was in 1973, when the Saudis and Muslims realized they had a weapon to be used against us that we were forced into Globalization. I learned from Europe. Did you?
which is why development of US domestic oil today has the potential to so significantly change power politics for coming generations - and why some countries are so concerned.

Yes, the US has learned from Europe since many trends start there and move here.... the financial crisis in Europe should serve as a clarion call to what the US needs to address or we will be next in line.

Reactions: 1 person
[sub]I've already talked about the US having more oil within its borders than all of OPEC combined. I've also noted that environmentalists and tree huggers are keeping us from drilling and using and exporting our own oil. This dream, I believe, won't happen in my lifetime, and by the time it does, the US will be owned by China.[/sub]

remember that China is a significant net importer of many commodities. China has done a lot of things right but they are highly dependent on a relatively stable global economy in order to achieve their goals. They also must deal with their lack of pollution controls or they will have a whole lot of sick, unproductive citizens to care for.

Reactions: 2 people

Latest posts