Twinkees Dead, Union Charged with Ho-Homicide..

eolesen

Veteran
Jul 23, 2003
This deserves it's own topic... Go unions!

http://www.usatoday....siness/1708409/

http://www.prnewswir...-179640671.html

Reactions: 1 person
Chalk this one up to it ain't the 1960's and 1970's anymore.

My biggest gripe with unions isn't the thuggery that sometimes takes place or the dues grubbing leaders.

I'm tired of seeing good honest men & women lose their jobs due to their union leaders living in the past. The days of striking are mostly over as products can and are produced around the world. In this case their company has been in BK twice in under 10 years. What does that tell you?

It tells me that the company wasn't well managed to begin with. It also tells me that Labor may have overplayed their hand and now 18,500 jobs are most likely gone. This doesn't feel like a Management bluff to me.

Guess you didnt realize they have all ready given concessions THREE times and the company demanded more.

Convenient that you failed to post that fact, they had their contract abrogated and went on strike.

http://bctgm.org/PDFs/HostessLiquidation11_15_12.pdf

http://bctgm.org/PDFs/HostessFactSheet.pdf

Dont let the facts get in your way.

Then quit !

And I'm sure there are many "NON-UNION" employee's who lost jobs because of this !

Yep, the union peeps showed them , didn't they ? But hate to break it to them but, the "Evil Rich Basterds" are still rich !

So you I guess you want it back like the old days when workers had no rights, and company towns.

And going on strike is their law backed right and they exercised it.

And there is nothing stopping Hostess from hiring scabs to stay in business, now is there?

I guess you would rather the workforce be slaves again.

Will Obama step in and bail them out? Or will Michelle chalk this up as a victory on the War on Fat?

I'm glad my kids got to experience Ho-Ho's, because Little Debbie's just don't stack up the same...

capture__111132.jpg

My prediction (and hope) is that Interstate will be successful in selling the brands, facilities and the recipes to the highest bidder.

That process is something that should have happened with GM and Chrysler, but didn't. And what's lost on everyone is that GM is just a year or so behind Interstate -- because they didn't do a real bankruptcy, they're not going to be able to weather a deepening recession.

Keep ignoring the facts and deflect.

The BCTGM employees gave THREE rounds of concessions to management, and management failed the company.

Bottom line, for someone who seems intelligent your hatred of unions and democrats certainly blind you.

Guess you been watching How America was Built and want it to go back to the robber barrons and monopolies.

Reactions: 2 people
Keep ignoring the facts and deflect.

The BCTGM employees gave THREE rounds of concessions to management, and management failed the company.

Bottom line, for someone who seems intelligent your hatred of unions and democrats certainly blind you.

Guess you been watching How America was Built and want it to go back to the robber barrons and monopolies.

Just because they gave concessions three times doesn't change the facts. Hostess' costs were out of line and their product offerings had not been changed to reflect consumer tastes and preferences. I haven't eaten Hostess products in at least a decade, don't eat white bread either. The unions refused to give more concessions and they'll get what they deserve. The workers seem confident other jobs are plentiful in the current job market especially for unskilled 50 year old workers. Reality will really set in when they find a new job with pay and benefits far below what they had at Hostess.

Josh

I don't see any deflecting, just points being made that you don't like !

AA- Bankrupcy
NW- Out of business
Hostess- Out of business
Boeing- Lay-offs
USPS- Broke

Don't let reality hit you in the face !

I'm sure the Teamsters who have their CDL will do OK.

But the bakers? Sorry, that's an assembly line job that tried to portray itself as a skilled trade.

The only deflection going on are those who keep making the asinine comment that without unions, we'd be back at the 1800's company town...

There's nothing with regard to worker safety/work hours that isn't already covered by multiple federal and state regulations by now.

Reactions: 2 people
Just because they gave concessions three times doesn't change the facts. Hostess' costs were out of line and their product offerings had not been changed to reflect consumer tastes and preferences. I haven't eaten Hostess products in at least a decade, don't eat white bread either. The unions refused to give more concessions and they'll get what they deserve. The workers seem confident other jobs are plentiful in the current job market especially for unskilled 50 year old workers. Reality will really set in when they find a new job with pay and benefits far below what they had at Hostess.

Josh

Our one percenter has spoken.

Teamsters hang the Baker's Union out to dry...

http://www.teamster....ot-vote-hostess

The BCTGM chose a different path, as is their prerogative, to not substantively look for a solution or engage in the process. BCTGM members were told there were better solutions than the final offer, although Judge Drain stated in his decision in bankruptcy court that no such solutions exist. Without complete information, BCTGM members voted by voice votes in union halls. The BCTGM reported that over 90 percent rejected the final offer and three of its units ratified the final offer.

On Friday, Nov. 9, the BCTGM began to strike at some Hostess production facilities without notice to the Teamsters despite assurances they would not proceed with job actions without contacting the Teamsters Union. This unannounced action put Teamster members in the difficult position of facing picket lines without knowing their right to honor such a line without being disciplined.

As is our longstanding tradition, Teamster members by and large are honoring Bakery Worker picket lines when encountered and complying with their contractual obligations when not encountering picket lines. The BCTGM leaders are putting Teamster members in a horrible position – asking them to support a strike that will put them out of a job when they haven’t even asked all their members to go on strike.

That strike is now on the verge of forcing the company to liquidate – it is difficult for Teamster members to believe that is what the BCTGM Hostess members ultimately wanted to accomplish when they went out on strike. We may never know unless the BCTGM members, based on the facts they know today, get to determine their fate in a secret ballot vote. Teamster members would understand that the will of the BCTGM Hostess membership was truly heard if that was the case.

Looks like diet conscious consumers and high cost union benefits contributed the most.

The company cited increasing pension and medical costs for employees as one of the drivers behind its latest filing.
The company, founded in 1930, was fighting battles beyond labor costs, however. Competition is increasing in the snack space and Americans are increasingly conscious about healthy eating. Hostess also makes Dolly Madison, Drake's and Nature's Pride snacks.

http://www.nbcdfw.com/news/national-international/NATL-Twinkies-Maker-Hostess-Going-Out-of-Business-179643161.html

Pensions and medical costs, where have we heard that before?