TWU Election Campaigning on Union Business

TWU informer

Veteran
Nov 4, 2003
Rumor has it that Steve Luis (TWU Local 514 President) was present at JFK for the purpose of campaigning in favor of the incumbent Local President.

I have a few questions of this matter.

Did the membership of Local 514 approve UB time, travel, hotel, and meal expenses for this trip?

Are the challengers of the incumbent now entitled to have their supportive Presidents come to JFK and campaign for them using TWU dues money?

Did the Local Election Board investigate the legal aspects and fairness of such activity?

Seems to me there are a few legal questions that should be asked regarding this attempt of keeping the good ol'e boy network intact.

Rumor has it that Steve Luis (TWU Local 514 President) was present at JFK for the purpose of campaigning in favor of the incumbent Local President.

I have a few questions of this matter.

Did the membership of Local 514 approve UB time, travel, hotel, and meal expenses for this trip?

Are the challengers of the incumbent now entitled to have their supportive Presidents come to JFK and campaign for them using TWU dues money?

Did the Local Election Board investigate the legal aspects and fairness of such activity?

Seems to me there are a few legal questions that should be asked regarding this attempt of keeping the good ol'e boy network intact.

Regardless if Steve Luis was or was not on UB actively campaigning for an incumbent Local President it is wrong. The same goes for any other Local President or elected official from a Local other than the JFK Local.

Personally I believe that the Int. does not want Mr. Owens or Mr. Schalk to be re-elected. And if it is true that Steve, and/or other Local officials were indeed on UB actively campaigning for the incumbent President in NY it is the Int.'s way of helping those they wish to remain in an elected office without being perceived as doing so.

Yes, it is a fact that three presidents came with President iuliano to JFK. I introduced myself to all three of them and we had a small conversation. I did not ask ,John stated to me that "they wanted to see New York" implying that this was their idea to come. I have hard time believing that the their timing of one week before the ballots go out as credible. My personal opinion is that it looks bad to bring people from the outside who no one from JFK has ever met to tell you how great your President is doing right before elections. Our opions and relationship is between John and the members of local 562. The alliance is a great thing and I support any alliance that will benefit the members. but the fact of the matter is whether John Iuliano is President or not the alliance will continue as it is or better.

I tend to believe that John must be afraid he is about to lose the election or this would not have happened in the first place.

I also tend to believe that the group at JFK will see it for what it is and this was a judgement error on John's part. But that still doesn't change the fact that legal issues are present with such activity if the opposition is not afforded the same.

Who were the three?

I have to say, that since the "mighty" Tulsa local with its roll call power can pass any contract all by itself, having Steve Luis on the same page as all other locals might be a good thing.

Yes, it is a fact that three presidents came with President iuliano to JFK. I introduced myself to all three of them and we had a small conversation. I did not ask ,John stated to me that "they wanted to see New York" implying that this was their idea to come. I have hard time believing that the their timing of one week before the ballots go out as credible. My personal opinion is that it looks bad to bring people from the outside who no one from JFK has ever met to tell you how great your President is doing right before elections. Our opions and relationship is between John and the members of local 562. The alliance is a great thing and I support any alliance that will benefit the members. but the fact of the matter is whether John Iuliano is President or not the alliance will continue as it is or better.

Who were the other local presidents? For some reason I don't think the spouses of these individuals would just let them go to NY on a vacation without them!!!!!!!!!!!