UA AND US Merger Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Simple: DCA will be divested to CO so the DCA presence stays in Star.

I don't think anyone would expect a requirement to divest all slots/facilities at DCA, instead just reducing the concentration that would be in one carrier's hands as a result of the merger. The US/DL swap deal as originally proposed would have given US 57% or more of the DCA slots and we all know how that was received by the Feds. I suspect that any potential merger would produce a requirement limiting the merged carrier to under 50% of slots - about what US currently has.

Jim

Don't you think this whole idea is to get CO to do a deal so capacity will be reduced? Perhaps Parker is just as happy with that as he would be with a merger.

Reactions: 1 person
United-US Air Talks Intensify

A third person close to the situation suggested that Glenn Tilton, UAL's chief executive officer, recently restarted the talks, not his counterpart at US Airways, Doug Parker.

The two airlines have gotten as far as they have in this round of discussions because they covered much of the number-crunching in spring 2008, the last time they had serious talks, the third person said. The two carriers agreed then that a merger could deliver $1.5 billion in cost and revenue synergies.

See Story

Potential US Airways-United Airlines merger packs power

"What US Airways doesn't have is a strong international network, which is where the money is," said Jim Corridore, a Standard & Poor's equity analyst in New York. "United has a high-cost problem, and US Airways has shown they figured out how to turn a high-cost airline into a low-cost airline."

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Do we have to reiterate for the UMPTEEN gazillionth time that, as the west pilots' own attorney stated: The Nicolau list is an internal ALPA bargaining position.
Post judgment settlements are provided for in both the Federal Arbitration Act as well as the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure. Both parties are free to negotiate something different than the judgment, so what Freund was saying was actually legally correct. What you conveniently fail to accept is that USAPA removed the other party thanks to their single carrier certification under the NMB rules. There now is no other party to negotiate with, and it's all because of USAPA. Oh the irony!

We are happy to wait out the courts to see if that is true, or not.
It's coming, and if you had bothered to digest the briefs filed you would have seen that Seham failed to make a complete argument anywhere. Ask ANY lawyer to compare the briefs and they'll tell you the same thing I am now: Seham's arguments wouldn't pass muster with a third year moot court, let alone at the Circuit Ct of Appeals. He couldn't cite a single case that stood for the proposition that ripeness in a DFR case does not begin until ratification. NOT ONE! But what we do have is a recent 2nd Cir. case which found that the statute of limitations began running in a DRF breach before there was a ratification vote, and we know that as a matter of law that ripeness begins on or before limitations. Ergo . . . you finish the syllogism.

If you cannot fathom the difference, then I might as well be talking to a brick wall. And a brick wall would have enough intellect to understand it.

Would you like ketchup with your crow?

Don't you think this whole idea is to get CO to do a deal so capacity will be reduced? Perhaps Parker is just as happy with that as he would be with a merger.

Bingo! It is def in the realm of possibilty. Parker has repeatedly stated that he wants consolidation whether US Airways is a part of it or not.

I don't think anyone would expect a requirement to divest all slots/facilities at DCA, instead just reducing the concentration that would be in one carrier's hands as a result of the merger.

Of course not all of it. But, given UA's presence at IAD, I would expect the DOT to only allow enough DCA flights of a combined UA-US to operate to the hubs. The rest would have to be divested.

Once again, we know how this story ends. I dread thinking about what happens when the US/UA deal falls apart and CO/UA get together. I am sure the rumors will start flying about how we are going to merge with American or Jetblue or go out of business. It gets exhausting doesn't it?

The next post which tries to bring the US East/West dispute into this gets the poster suspended for 14 days.

I just deleted a bunch of them.

I don't think anyone would expect a requirement to divest all slots/facilities at DCA, instead just reducing the concentration that would be in one carrier's hands as a result of the merger. The US/DL swap deal as originally proposed would have given US 57% or more of the DCA slots and we all know how that was received by the Feds. I suspect that any potential merger would produce a requirement limiting the merged carrier to under 50% of slots - about what US currently has.

Jim
Does CO have much at DCA? I don't think I have ever seen any CO employees on the bus.????

Call me when I need a uniform fitting and cross training on the 777/747. Until then who cares? Been down this tired old road too many times to pay attention. We have no control so why stress? I am certainly not putting my transfer into LAX or IAD just yet. Back to Clampett Airways already in progress......

Call me when I need a uniform fitting and cross training on the 777/747. Until then who cares? Been down this tired old road too many times to pay attention. We have no control so why stress? I am certainly not putting my transfer into LAX or IAD just yet. Back to Clampett Airways already in progress......

Obviously you haven't heard. Folks, it's official:
1. LAX and SFO closed and all flying moved to PHX.

2. PIT reopened as second largest hub behind DEN, while ORD becomes focus city only; with most of its flying divided between DEN and PIT.

3. IAD closed. No further information.

4. 747/777s sold to CO and replaced with formerly retired and returned to service 767-200s.

5. The uniform, designed exclusively for US Airways, by Stan Herman will be kept by the "new UA."

I guess, beachboy, you won't need any transfer papers or uniform fittings. :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.