UA AND US Merger Talks

Status
Not open for further replies.
How important is labor union support in merging the two airlines?

For example, could the pilots unions both USAPA and ALPA vehemently oppose / protest against the merger in any way that would prevent the merger from occuring?

Follow up question: What about the wholly owned regional pilots, 800-1000 ALPA pilots between PDT & PSA, do they have any say over whether or not the companies merge?
Do you remember the "Summer of Love" at UAL when UA pilots finally got Contract 2000 and UA walked away from the merger with USAir? ALPA & UAL are currently under Section 6 negotiations under the supervision of the NMB. At some point in the not so distant future, if an impasse exists, both sides get released from mediation and are allowed "self help." (ie: strike) I guarantee you that a merger deal with US Airways will create an impasse that leads to a strike. The only way around that would be far too costly to either company and negate any long term benefit of this Ill-conceived idea. The smart money is on the concept of this being a leverage tool to get CO to crash the party.

Obviously you haven't heard. Folks, it's official:
1. LAX and SFO closed and all flying moved to PHX.

2. PIT reopened as second largest hub behind DEN, while ORD becomes focus city only; with most of its flying divided between DEN and PIT.

3. IAD closed. No further information.

4. 747/777s sold to CO and replaced with formerly retired and returned to service 767-200s.

5. The uniform, designed exclusively for US Airways, by Stan Herman will be kept by the "new UA."

I guess, beachboy, you won't need any transfer papers or uniform fittings. :rolleyes:

This IS too WEIRD********LOL

NO ONE knows what will happen except for Tilton,Parker,and maybe even Smisek. You think that Smisek with such close ties to UAL did not know about this from the getgo?? Something is up .Something big. This is just the beginning. All these what if's mean nothing. These guys are gonna do what they think is good for the companies involved . Not what we think . So everyone just sit back and take it one day at a time .And please ,stop the US bashing . US must bring something to the table if these airlines are talking with each other . Yes CO is a better fit for UAL but who is to say that CO is not in this as well ?? You never know in this ever changing industry . Nothing surprises me anymore..Nothing .

Obviously you haven't heard. Folks, it's official:
1. LAX and SFO closed and all flying moved to PHX.

2. PIT reopened as second largest hub behind DEN, while ORD becomes focus city only; with most of its flying divided between DEN and PIT.

3. IAD closed. No further information.

4. 747/777s sold to CO and replaced with formerly retired and returned to service 767-200s.

5. The uniform, designed exclusively for US Airways, by Stan Herman will be kept by the "new UA."

6. CLT becomes a Piedmont hub again. All Dash-8s.

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/08/1364993/graphic-usair-and-united-airlines.html

didn't realize that the CLT was as large compared to ORD

http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2010/04/08/1364993/graphic-usair-and-united-airlines.html

didn't realize that the CLT was as large compared to ORD

CLT really isn't all that large compared to ORD; the numbers in the article are just UA's traffic totals. In 2009, CLT served 34 million passengers while ORD saw 64 million passengers. Don't forget that in addition to UA, AA runs its second largest hub with hundreds of daily flights and several hundred thousand weekly passengers.

Source for traffic numbers: http://www.airports.org/cda/aci_common/display/main/aci_content07_c.jsp?zn=aci&cp=1-5-212-218-224_666_2__

On the south side of town, WN serves millions of yearly passengers at MDW. Chicago is a huge city with substantially more O&D than Charlotte.

http://www.airportbiz.com/online/printer.jsp?id=35689

Bethune and Kellner say Continental not expected to join to United and US Airways.

Do you remember the "Summer of Love" at UAL when UA pilots finally got Contract 2000 and UA walked away from the merger with USAir? ALPA & UAL are currently under Section 6 negotiations under the supervision of the NMB. At some point in the not so distant future, if an impasse exists, both sides get released from mediation and are allowed "self help." (ie: strike) I guarantee you that a merger deal with US Airways will create an impasse that leads to a strike. The only way around that would be far too costly to either company and negate any long term benefit of this Ill-conceived idea. The smart money is on the concept of this being a leverage tool to get CO to crash the party.
Still continues to amaze me that the pilot group thinks that the airline world revolves around them, and them only. The last time that I took a look around, I noticed a few other employee groups at various positions around the airport too. This better go this way, or the pilots are going to be pissed, the company better be careful of what they do, or the pilots are going to be pissed AGAIN. Guess what fellas, both US and UA have done whatever they wanted in the past with no regard to who gets pissed at them. Your group isn't the only one that lost wages, benefits, pensions, and so on over the last 10 years. Take a look around, and you will notice a lot of other employees wearing a uniform that has the name of the same company that yours does, Maybe all of the airlines should give the pilots complete control of the company to insure they do what's best for them, and the heck with all of those other people out there trying to earn a living for a fraction of what they do. Sorry for the rant, but I'm so sick and tired of hearing how every friggen thing that goes down, has to have some type of a silver lining in it for the pilots. Years back the fate of my station was resting upon what the pilots did or didn't do in their talks with the company. I was so comforting knowing that our fate and careers were resting in their caring hands. What I wouldn't do to have the tables turned the other way some day. Get over yourself already guys. Looks to me like there are lots of pilots on the street looking for work, that would care less who merged with who as long as they had a job.

For what it's worth, I tend to believe that there is no value to a UA-US combination, nor would it pass the approval process without MAJOR concessions which may be too painful to absorb.

That said, I do think that this is a ploy to get CO back to the table, and that CO/UA is a real possibility. In either case I don't think it's going to be easy, but with all due respect to the fine men and women working the line at US, why would anyone want to take on the labor issues, discord and general bad morale at US, let alone the possibility of Dougie and Scooter running the show--if that happens my sympathies to UA's employees and customers.

Funny one article I read praised Doug for reducing US' costs .... I thought it still had one of the highest CASM's of the majors.

At the end of the day none of us has any say to what will shake out. I think that the best case scenario for customers and employees alike would be UA/CO with CO management taking the lead. I

How would US figure in? Possibly an asset sale-west pieces to CO/UA, and the east to AA or whomever? Nobody knows.

While I wish all the good people at US front line the best, I fear the airline landscape is going to change radically sooner than later, and I am not sure US will be invited to the dance--in it's current form anyway.

My BEST to you all......

Merger Mania AGAIN!!!!

This one I truely just don't get. When I think of the UA and US Management Teams I think Jeff Danials and Jim Carrey, you know Dumb and Dumber. I'll leave it to others to decide which actor plays Parker and which plays Tilton. :lol: :lol:

Submitted for your Consideration:

US Airways pilot group can't agree to anything! Put 4 of them in a room, 2 each from the predecessor companies and you couldn't gain agreement on where to have a cup of coffee much less see eye to eye on a merger.

Then for S's & G's we have the UA pilots who likely can agree that any merger that happens with them coming out ahead or remember the last go around when the UA pilots actually took action and drove UA to its knees operationally.

Next up is getting this steaming turd of an idea past the steaming turd in DC, aka The Obama Administration which on a daily basis makes Jimmy Carter look like the Second Coming of Jesus Christ hisself. :eek: Can you spell "anti business"? I knew that you could. Nobody merges in Mr. Holder's Neighborhood not even Bill & Monica! :D

To me and I may be wrong this whole thing is not about "consolidation" it's a bout a payday at the top. As usual customers and employees are nowhere in the equation. Or at least nowhere were there is a chance of a positive outcome.

Next up is getting this steaming turd of an idea past the steaming turd in DC, aka The Obama Administration which on a daily basis makes Jimmy Carter look like the Second Coming of Jesus Christ hisself. :eek: Can you spell "anti business"? I knew that you could. Nobody merges in Mr. Holder's Neighborhood not even Bill & Monica! :D

To me and I may be wrong this whole thing is not about "consolidation" it's a bout a payday at the top. As usual customers and employees are nowhere in the equation. Or at least nowhere were there is a chance of a positive outcome.
Bravo. Great post. It most certainly is about a payday at the top, and there definitely will be some serious cash/stock changing hands and making senior management wealthy. I guess that's why there is such rampant speculation and raw emotion on display here on this board and around the water cooler: the employees want a good deal, too - even if it is just something small, but a positive outcome for them, too. But, alas, as you so eloquently stated, we'll probably get screwed.
As for the "O" administration, remember it is all about jobs right now. They do not want to be seen as nixing a deal that would save thousands of jobs and turn people away from voting 'democrat' in the fall. If the douggie & scooter show pitch it to the guvm't in that fashion, what can they really say?
Cheers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back