Jumpset Hospitality

EyeInTheSky

Veteran
Dec 2, 2003
Pittsburgh
Unbelievable! Shame, shame, shame. In all my years here I've never seen any of our pilots deny a jumpseat to a fellow pilot. Shameful!

To all UAL ALPA pilots.

Today I received the fourth denial of a JBLU pilot on the UAL jumpseat in just over two months. In each case the Captain has decided that JBLU is harming his/her career and have told the JBLU pilots they could not ride.

While I am not questioning Captains authority I am questioning the politics involved in denying a commuting pilot a jumpseat. Many of the Captains involved are JFK based and are at the forefront of the battle for turf.

I ask all that commute, especially on JBLU to remind those that want to deny jumpseats for political reasons the problems this will cause for all of us. JBLU has one of the most liberal policies for jumpseats, they will take multiple jumpseaters, flight attendants and allow UAL pilots to sit in a F/A jumpseat to get on a flight. Many of our Florida commuters rely on the good graces of the JBLU crews, and a small group of UAL Captains is going to ruin this in the very near future if we can not have a truly reciprocal agreement.

Like everyone I would like to find someone or something to blame for the problems at UAL. However, in my opinion our problems can be traced more to our corporate headquarters than to another carrier. As the jumpseat coordinator for UAL I have received only one denial of a UAL pilot on an offline carrier in over two years. In the past year I have had at least one to two denials by UAL Captains for of offline pilots each month. As professional pilots we often complain that we are not compensated as a professional. However, when we allow personal opinions and ideas to influence who is allowed to jumpseat on our airplanes we are not meeting the mark of the professional that we want to be compensated as.

Thanks for listening.

Jim Frank
UAL MEC JSCC

Any pilot that would deny another pilot a ride to or from work, purely based on who they fly for, is a childish, immature moron who needs a little education in a word....the word being PROFESSIONAL.

Without a doubt, the JBLU jumpseat agreement is the most liberal, accomodating, and courteous agreement on the planet. It will only take a few bad apples to screw it up for everyone.

If there are any UAL pilots out there listening.....listen good. I can't count the number of UAL pilots and F/A's I have had the pleasure of giving rides to. They are always courteous, professional, and BTW, they help clean our plane when we arrive. Many bring little gifts like chocolate! Very much appreciated but in no way required.

Think before you act. A little peer pressure would take care of business.

Boomer

This obviously pretains to US Airways -

Due to the fact that UA pilots are denying B6 pilots on the jumpseat, Glenn Tilton will now go ahead with his merger attempt with US Airways. Don't you see the connection?

:rolleyes:

It seems to be about Glen Tilton trying to jumpseat on United, but being denied. B6 gave him a ride where he apparently mentioned that he was considering a UCT with USAirways.

justaumechanic said:
As always it is a selfish group that will spoil it for the rest.
[post="256541"][/post]​

It is the trait of a small-minded individual that feels that in denying another airline pilot the jumpseat they will in some magical way cause that airline to disappear and secure his job, his income, his company and satiate his ego. I guess it also gives him a huge self-esteem boast and makes him sleep well at night.

It is a courtesy and as long as the person requesting the jumpseat has the credentials and meets the criteria as an employee of a US certificated carrier, they should be allowed to ride.

Mtnman

EyeInTheSky said:
Unbelievable! Shame, shame, shame.
[post="256532"][/post]​

I agree 100% with the "shame on UAL pilots" but I am not so quick to think that JetBlue pilots will respond in kind.

I don't really think that UAL pilots have to worry about being denied by JetBlue pilots because JetBlue pilots are bigger than that...

UAL pilots are just following their example and JetBlue pilots are also following their example.

No matter what people say, mgt is about more than penny pinching. The way they treat people is the way employees will treat people. It was true in kindergarten, and dispite the great lenght of study by the learned with multiple letters in front and behind their name, it is still true in adulthood.

Regards,
Phoenix

CaptianBoomer said:
.....they help clean our plane when we arrive......

Uh oh....careful what you let those jumpseaters do. Where's 700 when you need a comment about segregation of duties, insurance, scabs, etc.?

I met a JB jumpseater the other day going from DEN-LAX. I personally apologized to him for the conduct of some of our less than cerebrail boneheads, and thanked him for JBs outstanding courtesy. Thanks to all JB pilots for your hospitality.

DENVER, CO

Rather than deny a jumpseat it would be better to discuss with a Jetblue pilot the benefits of ALPA and unionization. Although all ALPA pilots are on the mat right now, explain how ALPA has in the past achieved much higher pay and benefits than non union pilots.

Emily:

Key words: "In the past."

Another note: Keep the politics and the union stuff to yourself when flying on jumpseat!

Boomer

EyeInTheSky said:
Unbelievable! Shame, shame, shame. In all my years here I've never seen any of our pilots deny a jumpseat to a fellow pilot. Shameful!

To all UAL ALPA pilots.

Today I received the fourth denial of a JBLU pilot on the UAL jumpseat in just over two months. In each case the Captain has decided that JBLU is harming his/her career and have told the JBLU pilots they could not ride.

While I am not questioning Captains authority I am questioning the politics involved in denying a commuting pilot a jumpseat. Many of the Captains involved are JFK based and are at the forefront of the battle for turf.

I ask all that commute, especially on JBLU to remind those that want to deny jumpseats for political reasons the problems this will cause for all of us. JBLU has one of the most liberal policies for jumpseats, they will take multiple jumpseaters, flight attendants and allow UAL pilots to sit in a F/A jumpseat to get on a flight. Many of our Florida commuters rely on the good graces of the JBLU crews, and a small group of UAL Captains is going to ruin this in the very near future if we can not have a truly reciprocal agreement.

Like everyone I would like to find someone or something to blame for the problems at UAL. However, in my opinion our problems can be traced more to our corporate headquarters than to another carrier. As the jumpseat coordinator for UAL I have received only one denial of a UAL pilot on an offline carrier in over two years. In the past year I have had at least one to two denials by UAL Captains for of offline pilots each month. As professional pilots we often complain that we are not compensated as a professional. However, when we allow personal opinions and ideas to influence who is allowed to jumpseat on our airplanes we are not meeting the mark of the professional that we want to be compensated as.
Thanks for listening.

Jim Frank
UAL MEC JSCC
[post="256532"][/post]​
Who do you think put you in Chap 11, Who's driving our salaries down, I to have a hard time giving a ride to SWA , Airtran and Jet blue, when they want you and me on the street.