US 657 PHL-LAS upgraded equip today

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
Noticed that within 5 hours of departure, US 657 PHL-LAS was upgraded from 757 to 767 today. That'll make the elites on the upgrade waitlist happy, for sure. But, what's a 767 going to Vegas for?

Just the other day a 752 PHL-PIT flt and a PIT-CLT flt were upgraded to a 762. Don't know it it is related

Bet it has to do with a MTC issue with one or more of the 757's. I heard there was a 757 broken in LAS. Flight 614 out of LAS to PIT was running about 3.5 hours late due to a mechanical in LAS. I am sure the upgrade to a 767 is to help recover lines of flying.

Well, this one was a doozie. Flight left 1:10 late. At the gate, pax are told that the plane was being cleaned up by utility and catered since it just came in from Amsterdam. Fine. Then the pax are boarded and just before closing the door, are told that they are STILL waiting for catering and will probably go instead of wait for any food. All they have are beverages and the snack basket(for F pax). 34 people have a connection to Reno and would be in jeopardy of missing that flight so they "have" to push back soon, meaning the other 160 people get penalized without food (the 767 was completely full).

Did I also mention there was no IFE? When the aircraft arrived, the tapes are immediately taken and put away. But nobody thought to make sure the right ones were there for a domestic trip.

Maintenance issue also apparently delayed the aircraft - the flight computer didn't have navigation data for domestic, so it had to be "loaded" into the system which apparently takes a while.

F/A on board apologized profusely and arranged for food vouchers to First class pax when they deplaned in LAS, but who really wants to sit in the airport there and eat after a nearly 5 hr flight with no food or IFE???

It seems that doing an equipment swap should be second nature to any airline, but this one clearly really threw everyone for a spin. If they had at least told people AT THE GATE that there would likely be no food, then people could have grabbed something at an eatery within 2 minutes walk. So, someone really dropped the ball on that. The IFE is a lesser issue, but still seemingly simple in concept. And, I won't even question the navigation computer business. Do they only load Intl/European database or something and leave out USA West of PHL?

Flew US-West the other evening out to LAS. All we got was Drinks and a Bag of HP-MIX in F/C on a 5+ hour Flight.

Flew US-West the other evening out to LAS. All we got was Drinks and a Bag of HP-MIX in F/C on a 5+ hour Flight.

that's crazy...when are they going to get this right?

are they still serving IFE meals in the back on US-East flights while serving nothing in FC?

Back