US Airways 1st quarter results

This board should know by now, 700 cannot be objective. He can only believe what his iam bosse's tell him. :shock:

Sorry unit4clt,

No one tells me what to do, unlike you who lets Timmy control and manipulate.

Considering it a 1st quarter results, must say it's uplifting... ;)

And this is with high oil prices...(yes, I know, we hedged and made some $$$).

RASM, especially at the EAST unit, very, very strong...

Now, give US some time, integrate these pigs ;) and watch us shine...:)

Now, let's listen to Parker & team at 12 Noon.

SoftLanding

...it just "IRKS" 700 to see anything positive about LCC. It's sad to live with such negativity!! About two years ago...all the fancy accounting in the world still would have showed huge losses...atleast now LCC can show a profit, even if it's on paper in the weakest quarter. UAL is still showing HUGE losses after BK. Can't wait to read what 700 has to say about the rest of the year when the profits increase!! Get over it 700!! Get together with your IAM cronies and cry in your IAM beer! It gets old already.

I'm choosing to see it this way:

$5 mill profit, minus $46 mil in integration costs, plus $20 mill unrealized fuel hedge gains. This leaves out the more purely financing and accounting issues.

So, that's a $15 million loss, but you paid for $46 million worth of integration that is presumably a nonrecurring cost. I think that's close to break even. I really have no idea what to do with an 'unrealized' gain, but since it's related to fuel, I figure it's close enough to operational, even if it's just a financial instrument.

In light of AA, UA, and CO’s reports, US did just fine. Even break even is pretty good during the 1st quarter. Capacity discipline is paying off on the east coast as can be seen with the much larger improvements in East’s unit revenues – probably the highest in the industry. US is a much smaller airline than it was several years ago but it is right-sized to make money during peak periods and break even during the slowest periods.

And don’t forget that Easter/Passover was not in the 1st quarter and that US still has merger related costs. Based on the breakout, US is still two very different airlines with respect to costs and revenues and they will probably report the differences for another three quarters at least.

Good job by the US folks... you've suffered plenty and should at least be comforted that you are holding your own in a very unpredictable industry.

oh and in the first 30 minutes of trading...

LCC is up and at the head of the pack... closely followed by CAL

Both are about 2.4 to 2.7% up.

AMR is a bit behind,
but UAUA is down nearly 6%

Actually, this is VERY good news. Better than any of the analysts expected to see for Q1. The best number to go with is probably the $5M profit. It washes away the benefit of accounting changes and some of the special items...and still leaves a profit. Nicely done.

I, for one, would not take away credit for the fuel hedges as some other posters have done. After all, SWA is proud to take credit for their fuel hedging strategy...and they're right to do so...so why shouldn't LCC?

Kudo's to Doug, Scott and the team in Tempe. Also to all the line employees, we have wind in the sails and the clouds are clearing, you did it. congrats.

US Airways made a profit. That is a major achievement people. Enjoy it. Make bigger profits and get that pay raise everyone deserves ;)

Eye

Latest posts