US Airways 1st quarter results

It means there really was no profit.

Exactly. Positive cash flow? Yes.

GAAP profit? Only if we ignore those "pesky" merger/integration expenses.

Congrats to US for showing an operating profit, something UA couldn't manage to do.

LCC beat the "street" estimates by 21 cents...that is huge. In most cases,(A rule of thumb)when a stock "beats" the "street" estimates, it continues to do so for two or three quarters. Don't get too wrapped up in the reported numbers, just look at the Wall Street estimates vs. the reported numbers. Let Wall Street do the master-minding for you and you won't get a headache. Very, very good news.
The problem with Wall Street and analysts expectations is this...when the quarter comes where the company shows a profit, but fails to meet the analysts expectations by even a penny or two, your stock will get hammered as much as if it lost money.

Interesting paragraph from the release...

"Unveiled the first of five heritage planes that will feature throwback liveries of the four major airlines that comprise the new US Airways (Allegheny, America West, Piedmont and PSA)."

Wait a minute... five? I thought it was four, AL, HP, PI and PS. What's the fifth one going to be?

Hey 700, how is that house under the bridge working out?

To everyone at US, congratulations, to Doug and the other HP and US management, great work!

Good management + great workers = profits, keep up the great work everyone!!!!! :up:

(for any naysayer, DL, NW, B6 or UA would kill for these numbers, so be happy for at least one freaking day)

The report said employees have been given bonuses for 6 consecutive months. How much has that worked out to be as a percentage of your normal payroll?

I believe the "bonuses" given out are the $50...for on-time etc. etc.

So percentage...is basically nothing...

:)

SoftLanding

I believe the "bonuses" given out are the $50...for on-time etc. etc.

So percentage...is basically nothing...

:)
SoftLanding

OUCH,

on the CC they are being asked about profit sharing, and the answers are NOT regarding the 50 bucks mentioned above...

Maybe I should read my contract...LOL...

Or maybe it's not for the pilots?

SoftLanding

OUCH,

on the CC they are being asked about profit sharing, and the answers are NOT regarding the 50 bucks mentioned above...

Maybe I should read my contract...LOL...

Or maybe it's not for the pilots?

SoftLanding
People of HP/US first of all congrtulations from a AA employee. It is a wonderful thing. I hope it is a sign of things to come for all of us.

Next ........most of the post on this particular topic are positive. do not let anyone rain on your day 700 will never bee happy from what i have been reading.

take care and i look forward to the next quarters earning report

I'm sure I will take heat, but this is all on the back of the employees who have gave & gave. Sorry I can't get to excited. Lets give the employees pay back.

Coach, unless your company decides to 'have a heart' and open up the contract with section 6's, a raise you will not get. It is completely unlikely that the company will open up the contract because then all the other work groups would complain. Besides, this is the best contract your company has ever seen. Why on earth would they want to scrap it or reopen it? The only laughing that may be going on is the shouts, "4 more years". Yep 4 more years of your Judge abrogated bankrupt IAM contract.

However, what is more painful is that I believe fleet service is the only group that will not be able to participate in any profits due to its contract yielding any profit sharing to the BOD. Again, my understanding is that the IAM's iron clad contract is the only contract on the property that was conditioned on a 'thumbs down' by the BOD. When the BOD [which the iAM sits on] gave the thumbs down then the resulting condition was no profit sharing for fleet service. Not even 'crumbs for you'.

The TWU represented workers will be happy to know that no matter how much money is earned this year, or possibly Billions over the next 4 or 5 years, when they fall under the IAM contract, no profit for them.

The sad and difficult truth to stomach is that your company is estimated to make over $300 million this year by some sources and tons more the next year, but no raises for fleet service. Oops, I forgot, I think you get a 1 or 2 percenter next year, depending on station.

Thank your union for agreeing with the company. Remember, when it was on the line, the IAM effectively punted and said, "We have a knife to our back and a gun to our head".
Definately thank the company for giving you $50 a month that pays your IAM dues. Remember, the company is giving you compensation that is non-negotiated.

regards,

They're talking about the profit sharing that's included in the contracts - or at least accounting for any potential profit sharing.

At least in the pilot contract, I believe the profit sharing is based on an annual profit. From what I understood them to say was that they account for potential profit sharing on a quarterly basis. The simple version is that they make an accounting entry of 10% of the quarterly profit as potential profit sharing. Presumably, when the amount of actual profit sharing payout is known at the end of the year, an accounting adjustment would be made to match what was allocated for potential profit sharing with what would actually be paid out.

Jim

ps - If I heard right, they said that the 1st qtr profit was so small, they didn't allocate anything to profit sharing for the quarter.

Interesting paragraph from the release...

"Unveiled the first of five heritage planes that will feature throwback liveries of the four major airlines that comprise the new US Airways (Allegheny, America West, Piedmont and PSA)."

Wait a minute... five? I thought it was four, AL, HP, PI and PS. What's the fifth one going to be?
You need to read better. It says 5 PLANES, and 4 AIRLINES.

Latest posts