Us Airways And Alpa

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
Today on theHub.com, in an article titled “Issues Resolvedâ€￾, US Airways reported the company and ALPA have successfully resolved all outstanding grievances relating to the start-up of MidAtlantic Airways, the company's regional jet division. Dave Siegel announced the resolution during the fourth quarter financial conference call with Wall Street analysts. ALPA will be communicating details about the accord to its membership. "This is a welcome and positive development and another step toward a successful launch of MidAtlantic, a key component of US Airways' efforts to meet its competitive challenges," said Jerry Glass, senior vice president of employee relations.

Today ALPA published on its code-a-phone that the Negotiating Committee has reached an agreement with management in closing all MidAtlantic contractual issues. The agreement provides favorable enhancements to health and welfare benefits as well as immediate eligibility for matching 401(k) contributions. Also, EMB 170 and 175 aircraft will be flown at the American Eagle 70-seat rate. Further details will be provided on the web site once the MEC takes final action on this settlement.

Separately, the Washington Post reported US Airways' management and pilots union said they have reached an agreement over pay rates, health insurance and other benefits for the airline's upcoming regional-jet service. "The big thing they got was the pay," union spokesman Capt. Jack Stephan said. "We got the health insurance and 401(k) we wanted."

Washington Post Story

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot post on Feb 3,

"
Separately, we should know more on Friday after this week's board meeting is complete and the "transformation plan" is finally released."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

Would you or someone point out where this plan is. Day nearly over and I have yet to find it.

Respectfully,

Fatherabraham

This is Jack Stephan with a US Airways MEC update for Friday, February 6th, with three new items.

Item 1. The Negotiating Committee has reached an agreement with management in closing all MidAtlantic contractual issues. The agreement provides favorable enhancements to health and welfare benefits as well as immediate eligibility for matching 401(k) contributions. Also, EMB 170 and 175 aircraft will be flown at the American Eagle 70-seat rate. Further details will be provided on the web site once the MEC takes final action on this settlement

I think maybe they did outline the plan today:

"executives said the airline must cut its unit costs by at least 25% to compete with low-cost carriers, and the airline is discussing such cuts with labor groups"

and

" it is also planning to boost capacity by a total of 6% to 8% this year, with about half of that hike coming from the main airline, and other increases coming from regional operations" i.e. E170's and other RJ's.

Jim

And once again the mainline pilots were sure to protect there own with no regard for the pilots of the wholly owned. MESA to fly the 50 seaters and APL'S to fly the rest. How ALPA protects everyone.....NOT

US Airways provided more details of the transformation plan and labors participation at today's Labor Advisory Council meeting in Washington. Details of the plan will not be made public at this time.

The next major obstacle, which has a short time line to complete, will be negotiations between the company and ALPA over regional jet scope relief.

Specifically, ALPA Communications Committee chairman Jack Stepehn told the pilot group today, "The Negotiating Committee will continue to meet with management the week of February 9th to evaluate the company’s need for relief regarding small jet scope issues and appropriate protections and returns should the Association agree to any contractual modifications."

Expect more news on these negotiations next week. Following closure and new accords regarding RJ issues desinged to help US Airways meet GECAS and ATSB requirements, then the transformation plan and its alternatives will likely be addressed by management. Another words, first things first.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

passed_over,

This dropping of the first shoe settles some issues on MDA. The next shoe dropped is probably going to hit you guys on the head, unfortunately. The "soft landing" is about to get lumpy.

Regretfully,

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
passed_over,

This dropping of the first shoe settles some issues on MDA. The next shoe dropped is probably going to hit you guys on the head, unfortunately. The "soft landing" is about to get lumpy.

Regretfully,

Jim
When did $300 Million in savings migrate to a figure 0f 25% in needed savings? waht are we looking at in real dollar terms with 25% being the latest benchmark?

Looks as if , just like it was last time..they have no real idea of what it will take to set things right ? :huh:

Kinda amazing.

"The next major obstacle, which has a short time line to complete, will be negotiations between the company and ALPA over regional jet scope relief."

Since mainline pilots passed a provision requiring membership ratification of any significant change affecting wages or working conditions, the talks all seem to be about RJ's. Course, those furloughed guys can't vote.

Jim

AOG-N-IT,

Since 4th qtr employee costs were $598M, 25% would be $150M per quarter or $600M per year.

Jim

BoeingBoy:

The RJ discussions are being driven by GECAS - who is not bluffing and holds all of the cards. This is a critical discussion and ALPA has very little leverage. In addition, I understand ALPA got almost everything it wanted in the MDA deal, except about $5 per hour for the Captain pay rate.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

GECAS holds the money and that is all the cards that matter. ALPA does have some leverage - a signed contract where scope is concerned and arbitration where MDA is concerned. Seems to me that the company is the one that should be feeling the pressure, which could increase ALPA's leverage.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
AOG-N-IT,

Since 4th qtr employee costs were $598M, 25% would be $150M per quarter or $600M per year.

Jim
Thanks Jim,

My concern now turns to this...Having not seen things related only to required "Employee Cost" savings....I was more inclined to think that the required savings was 25% across the board.

Seeing that U no longer has the luxury of using Chapter 11 to who-do the vendors , municipalities , or anyone but the labor force to achieve this...I was deeply concerned about those figures as written.

As stated before...and as you and PITbull have both responded to in other threads....Savings are being achieved in areas where we can be less than pleased with the results and reasons why they are being achieved.

U is still shrinking at a steady clip regarding staffing levels by forced/natural attrition , as you pointed out , we are loosing about 20-25 pilots per month , if I remember correctly?

The F/A's would have to be in the same nieghborhood. We of the IAM are seeing exactly what the AFA is seeing regarding Retirements , Furloughs , Terminations and even deaths that seem to be on the rise. Sadly we lost another in CLT today...and my best wishes go out to his family by the way.

Now....with this in mind and linked to the fact that these slots are NOT being filled as they become vacant....how much would you guess that natural or forced attrition is contributing to the bottom line , when the work is still getting done , yet with fewer and fewer people every month?

STILL NO PLAN !!!!! WHERE'S THE PLAN ??? There is no plan ! I give this place until July and then we're finished!

$5.00 an hour equates to $5,000 a year in much needed money for furloughed pilots.

-fatburger-