Us Airways And Alpa

AOG-N-IT,

I wouldn't even know where to begin!!! The only thing I can contribute is that the number of "full time equivalent employees" went UP by 497 from the end of 3rd to end of 4th quarters.

Jim

GECAS is driving the pay issue too. They can pull the RJ financing and shut the place down with an involuntary bankruptcy filing.

ALPA had no option.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
GECAS is driving the pay issue too. They can pull the RJ financing and shut the place down with an involuntary bankruptcy filing.

ALPA had no option.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
They have an option.

Unfortunately, a good number of U's pilot group is too senior to have any backbone and do something for the guys on furlough or the profession as a whole, and will summarily cave so long as the top 2/3s of the current mainline list get to keep a seat.

BoeingBoy said:
AOG-N-IT,

I wouldn't even know where to begin!!! The only thing I can contribute is that the number of "full time equivalent employees" went UP by 497 from the end of 3rd to end of 4th quarters.

Jim
Jim,

That's an interesting trick considering the furlough of more F/A's....the IAM losing a number of Utility positions within the system....and more and more forced/natural attrition taking place with almost each passing day.

I also hear about losses within the Engineering department as well.....I guess the Non-Labor side of the coin is really padding their ranks at our expense to achive these numbers? :shock: :rolleyes: Thanks for the insight , as always !!!

A320Pilot,

"GECAS is driving the pay issue too."

I'm not privy to the contract between the company & GECAS. The only thing I've seen publicly mentioned is the B- credit rating requirement. Perhaps you'd like to share the part of the contract that allows GECAS to "drive the pay issue".

"ALPA had no option." Seems like all of us have choices. Siegel could have decided to file chapter 7 instead of 11, the board can decide to sell assets or not, I can decide to walk in front of a truck or not. Just because some choices are potentially bad doesn't mean the choices aren't there.

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
AOG-N-IT,

Jim
Are MDA people included in this number? Its hard to know with MDA what is included in mainline and what isnt since maybe it is, but then again, maybe it isnt. :p

I know in a certain Florida station they have had 3 or 4 people leave in the last 4 months with no replacements hired. I'd be curious as well to know where the 497 new people are.

tadjr,

The number is for Inc., not group. Since the W/O's and affiliates show up in expenses as "capacity purchases", I assume that the number is for mainline. I'd just point out that it isn't full time employees, but "full time equivalents" (whatever that means).

Jim

But will MDA really get off the ground if the ALG employees don't cave into the demands of senior management as there will be no certificate for MDA to operate under ??? And once again the wholly owned employess groups are being told to give up everything to save the the mailine my gag reflex is about worn out

If there is ANY furloughed pilot who believes there is ANY kind of future here, whether with MDA or mainline you are seriously mistaken. My opinion is that MDA will be substantially smaller than originally planned. We lost 2 MDA check airman to JetBlue just this week. They knew what the future held and got out.

I respectfully suggest that if you are furloughed from this company you cut your losses and find other work. Unless you are south of age 45 my opinion is that you will never return to the mainline becaue the mainline will continue to shrink in regard to crews per jet. That is Siegel's goal and that is exactly what ALPA will give him.

Yes, ALPA eats its young. Always has and always will. It is wrong and totally cowardly. But it is fact.

mr

I credit ALPA for getting the profession in the right direction from its beginnings. I now firmly believe (15 years too late) that ALPA has gotten too big to represent everyone equally. I think it's time to start another national union to compete with ALPA.

-fatburger-

Fatburger,

You fired a shot that should be heard around the industry. ALPA will be the death of itself by its inability to represent all pilots equally. There has never been fair representation. ALPA has always been and will always be a UNION for MAINLINE PILOTS, although they will represent regional pilots for the extra dues income they will never represent them fairly. Just as they are doing now trying to force the ALG pilots into signing away all that they have worked for.

In my humble opinion, ALPA made a very big mistake, perhaps fatal, about thirty years ago when it switched from being a Professional Association to being a labor union.

BoeingBoy said:
I'd just point out that it isn't full time employees, but "full time equivalents" (whatever that means).

Jim
Full time equivalents takes into account those groups that have part time people employed like CWA/IAM. I dont know the exact figure they use (hours worked or bodies), but to simplify it 2 part time agents equals 1 full time equivalent.

USA320Pilot said:
BoeingBoy:

The RJ discussions are being driven by GECAS - who is not bluffing and holds all of the cards. This is a critical discussion and ALPA has very little leverage. In addition, I understand ALPA got almost everything it wanted in the MDA deal, except about $5 per hour for the Captain pay rate.

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot
Don't worry USA320pilot, you will get the five dollars back when you sign a deal to fly the E-190/195. They really snowed you guys. You now have mainline pilots flying a shortened version of a 110 seat aircraft for 58k per year. How much do you think they will pay you for the full sized version? Say goodbye to your 737 jobs. As soon as the E-190 is certified, they will start to buy those to replace the 737s, and you'll end up with mainline guys flying those for about 65,000. Good job.

Latest posts