Us Airways' Bag Handling Woes Started

USA320Pilot

Veteran
May 18, 2003
www.usaviation.com
US Airways' bag handling woes started before holiday

USA320Pilot comments: I am sure the usual crowd will focus on the negative, but there is good news in this column. US Airways spokesman David Castelveter says the airline has since hired 450 new ramp workers and is still hiring in Philadelphia, Washington and Charlotte. It raised the minimum wage for bag handlers in Philadelphia and Washington by $2 an hour to $9.59. Last month, it installed a new management team at Philadelphia, led by a 36-year US Airways veteran.

Reducing luggage losses "is a priority," Castelveter says.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot

There is more good news in there too.

Passengers have noticed the airline's problem. When Buffalo-based business traveler Mark Paddy flew US Airways to Philadelphia this month for a meeting, he carried his luggage on board. Paddy says US Airways has lost his luggage repeatedly in the past.

"I go to great lengths not to check it anymore," he says.

If no one checks bags US can't lose them!

The other amusing thing in that column is that it shows that CCY had a problem and knew it at least as far back as October 2004, and yet failed to plan. Unreal.

well if they have since then replaced with 450 new hires, how many of them have stayed on? in particular in phl? since useless air's mgmt knew about it, why dont the govt step in and fire them all and install someoine with the brain power and gut to fix this airline?????

USA320Pilot said:

USA320Pilot comments: I am sure the usual crowd will focus on the negative, but there is good news in this column. US Airways spokesman David Castelveter says the airline has since hired 450 new ramp workers and is still hiring in Philadelphia, Washington and Charlotte. Last month, it installed a new management team at Philadelphia, led by a 36-year US Airways veteran.

Reducing luggage losses "is a priority," Castelveter says.

See Story

Regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="257463"][/post]​

Yesterday we had a flight from PHL arrive missing bags for 80 passengers! Thats half the flight! Yep, PHL is truly turing the corner....Al and Donna are right on top of things..... :down:

I'm flying eleven legs this week on US and I don't intend to check my bag once. For one, if it does get lost, I don't speak spanish well. Two, I fly through PHL 4 times this week. enough said.

ClueByFour said:
The other amusing thing in that column is that it shows that CCY had a problem and knew it at least as far back as October 2004, and yet failed to plan. Unreal.
[post="257491"][/post]​
Clue Your wrong. We all know that this whole thing was the result of labor. US has told us so. The only explanation is that the corporate communication department has failed in explaing this to the press and the D.O.T. Yep that has to be it. :shock:

Question For A320
Your a business guy would you work under these terms you think the job would get done?

I hire you to build a house you work for me I want a home built this week so you only have 40 hours to build it. You will work by yourself with no help from my company in regards to getting more hired people willing to work for peanuts you will be given a broken hammer a ladder that is rusty and won't slide or raise and scrape lumber to build the frame. Oh yeah no nails will be provided. The saw you have works but you have no power source near you its in several other locations across the nation. I expect that you have our uniform on at all times to promote our fine service.

Of course you wouldnt work under these terms but read on

Think about it put it in the terms of the Philly ramp employees working with broken equipment no personel day after day for years.

Its time you got down out of you flying Corporate office and look from the direction the ramp workers face every day a company that REFUSES TO FACE THE FACTS.

2 belt loaders on every gate THAT WORK
1 Tug on every Gate that work
4-6 agent on every gate

till you get that thru you thick skull you will continue to sit waiting to get parked or get your bags unloaded we are all off on some other gate working our A%$ off.

USA320Pilot said:

Last month, it installed a new management team at Philadelphia, led by a 36-year US Airways veteran.

Hate to be negative but have you ever heard of the term "rotating the bald tires"? Get some new blood in managment and quit shuffling the old ones around. What has this 36 yr veteran accomplished for the company other than help put them in the mess they are in?

5 Days and counting!!!!! :up:

roadtrip said:
ramp employees working with broken equipment
[post="257524"][/post]​

This isnt just a PHL problem. With no or limited GSE and spares around, I keep seeing more and more equipment tagged out sitting with the hood up. Was coordinating the other day and kept hearing the bag room radio for someone to come get bags since the tug they were assigned wasnt working and they had no one to get the last bags out to the plane. Took several delays because of this. I know you cant go out and buy all new equipment while in bankruptcy, but other than having passengers take their bags to the gate and drop them down the jetway chute, I dont see how this is going to get better without spending some money on infrastructure to get things running again.

US Airways' management and labor have made mistakes and I believe have learned from them. There is nothing that can be done about the past and the past does not equal the future.

I have flown through PHL 6 times in last few weeks and I have seen a significant improvement in operations, ramp work, and customer service. Not only is there more manpower, the company has added a lot of GSE.

The new employees are enthusiastic and next week there will be another change with contact cleaning starting on Monday, March 28.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

USA320Pilot said:
US Airways' management and labor have made mistakes and I believe have learned from them. There is nothing that can be done about the past and the past does not equal the future.
[post="257528"][/post]​

Did you look at the article you posted?

Note the trend starting in October of '04. If CCY can't "find the line" with something so simple as trending (in something so integral to the operation as baggage movement), what makes you think they are capable of learning from mistakes? Despite the obvious trend, they've done zilch except continue to blame labor (even as recently as last week in Lakefield's case).

But hey, maybe they'll get it. And maybe US will buy UA, and open a 777 pilot domicile in PIT. Tooth Fairy at 11.

USA320Pilot said:
I have flown through PHL 6 times in last few weeks and I have seen a significant improvement in operations, ramp work, and customer service. Not only is there more manpower, the company has added a lot of GSE.
[post="257528"][/post]​

PHL? must be looking at southwest gates always staffed and FULLY Equiped.

I know it must be hard to see sitting way up high in that mobile corporate office.

well how about the express today--flt 2989 according to g*2989phl/fd
the gate agent and the ramp manager loaded the 2989 bags for abe flt. what a joke. having to have a gate agent come out when if he/she got hurt how would that be covered?