US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation

US Airways chief says airline industry needs to get smaller to get profitable, improve service

Samantha Bomkamp, AP Transportation Writer
On Wednesday June 10, 2009, 12:44 pm EDT

NEW YORK (AP) -- US Airways Group Inc. Chief Executive Doug Parker said Wednesday the airline industry needs to get much smaller to stay viable, and consolidation is one of the keys to bringing the sector back to profitability.

Speaking at the carrier's annual meeting in New York, Parker applauded the merger of Delta Air Lines Inc. and Northwest Airlines -- saying the creation of the world's biggest carrier was a major step toward better streamlining the industry. But he noted that the combined company has less than one-quarter of the U.S. market, leaving a great deal of room for further consolidation.

Linkage

US Airways Calls for Consolidation

"United Airlines passed on a deal last year to combine with US Airways, but the deal is not completely off the table."

Click here to read the story.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

US Airways CEO calls for more consolidation - US Airways chief says airline industry needs to get smaller to get profitable, improve service

United Airlines walked away from a deal last year to combine with US Airways, but has not ruled it out at some point.

Click here to read the complete story.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

I don't know how much smaller the industry can get. The capasity has shrunk, all planes are full. Many times, on last minute purchases I can't buy one since they are sold out. And I need to fly different carriers to get where I want to go in a reasonable amount of time. The fares are not cheap, and my company has had to buy way too many (in their opinion) first class seats for me this year.

Staffing is at bare bones. So I guess what he is saying, by combining airlines and reducing HQ staff, the airlines become profitable. What else can be cut in a merger.

Good Lord, USA320Pilot....how many times have you had a friend/secret admirer/insider/fueler/lav truck driver/ramp rat/stock broker/Board of Director/voice in your head....give you some sort of inside info. on some sort of pending merger regarding LCC and it NEVER happens, absolutely NEVER pans out....and then you proceed to magically disappear for a few months because you look like a poliana.???

Spare us the copy/paste links already. You know no more or less than the guy working the catering truck for Sky Chef. The only difference is, he never proclaims to be some sort of aviation Nostradamus :lol:

and shrink the airlines shall ..... :lol: :lol:

Why consolidate when other airlines can just sit back and watch the competition liquidate ?
his is nothing more than a game of last man standing ( or musical chairs if you would )

i've said it before and i'll say it again ... i feel that us airways has only one hope , nationlization ..

Hasn't Parker been talking about the need for consolidation since at least the merger, which was itself consolidation? I just don't see any earthshaking, or even new, news here.

Jim

But fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your perspective.. United is lining up its ducks in a row with Continental.