Us Airways Contract Talks Continue

ClueByFour said:
If Mitchell were that good at bankruptcy, he'd be in New York or Delaware.

He's more concerned with being overturned--even bankruptcy can't put lips on a pig, and he can always liquidate.

[post="205039"][/post]​

Exactly.

I guess this is as good a thread as any....

The CWA is appealing Judge Mitchell's Order for interim relief. The court and date haven't been set yet.

Docket #839 is the appeal and Docket #1171 contains a list of documents, etc, for discovery.

Jim

I agree that Mitchell is probably concerned that his decisions not be overturned by the District Court; judges don't like reversals.

Another factor that can't be ignored is that his term expires in 4 years, and it's possible he'd like to be reappointed to another term. BK judges are not lifetime appointments - their term runs 14 years.

USA320Pilot said:
It is my understanding the company's AFA counterproposal was worse than the last proposal. If true, history keeps repeating itself, and "hardline" union negotiating tactics continue to hurt the rank-and-file union membership.

In my opinion, Judge Mitchell will have no option but to grant the company's S.1113© motion and prevent "self help" or the company will fail, which is something Mitchell does not want on his record.

Best regards,

USA320Pilot
[post="204845"][/post]​

Well, for someone who has seen the last proposals, YOU are wrong. Except for vacation differences, I can't tell too much difference.

PineyBob said:
Hope you don't mind if I take a stab at the answer. I think what 320 was/is referring to is that judges like most want to look good in front of their boss. If Judge Mitchell has designs on the Supreme court or another position on the federal bench, a pro labor ruling that jeopardizes the survivability of a Fortune 500 company might damage his chances
[post="205032"][/post]​

I think its even more personal than that. He is suppose to determine a solution. And that solution is not to place the company into Chapter 7 resulting in more than 20,000 becoming instantly unemployed.

Judge Mitchell doesn’t want to look like he’s giving away the farm to either side….

I believe he’s gonna keep the 21% pay cut in affect until both sides come up with a livable solution. (Neither side wants that) But, at some point this situation is going to come to an end.

That’s the real question. (WHEN)..??

You don't have to go to those lengths. You can simply note that the goal of Ch 11 is to try to reorganize the company into a functioning entity. Hence liquidation is, in itself, something that most parties, including the judge, are likely to try to avoid.

PineyBob said:
Hope you don't mind if I take a stab at the answer. I think what 320 was/is referring to is that judges like most want to look good in front of their boss. If Judge Mitchell has designs on the Supreme court or another position on the federal bench, a pro labor ruling that jeopardizes the survivability of a Fortune 500 company might damage his chances
[post="205032"][/post]​