Us Airways Could Seek Merger, Chairman Says

I understand your frustration but whining ain't gonna save the firm now.

Somehow, I doubt throwing away good money after bad will either.

BTW, curiosity as to the application of ( yet more ) concession monies isn't "whining"...but the demand for ( yet ) more no questions asked fundage is.

looks like the only way out is to get costs way,way down.like down to unacceptable levels.
then maybe someone will be at least be willing to look at an old,aging,out of the times legacy has been wannabee.
to survive we must:
1.take on additional wage reductions and benefit pay increases.this way we help save the airline and provide for our future.
2.sell or merge to save the airline and provide for our future.
3.once sold or merged we will now now be forced to work under ,again another contract that will once again take more away and make us pay more,all in the interest of saving the airline and providing for our future.
so where the hell does one draw the line? :( :shock: :down:

One day he says he's gonna sell off assets or do a merger...then the next day..its we are not interested in a merger or selling off assets....Seems to me this is like a game to them to keep trying to take more & more from the employees....

I do not see a sell off of assets or a merger anywhere in the near future...
The people interested in US want to cherry pick the parts of the airline they want... Like Mesa....

I don't see a merger around the corner.... Just bleeding the employees again..again..again..

There is a business plan, but to move forward with specifics it needs labor participation.

However, before the real negotiations are complete management must fix the problem with S&P, GECAS, and the ATSB in the short-term, otherwise the “Going Forward Plan†will not matter. That’s being worked on now between ALPA and the Company during the SJ scope discussions. Tomorrow the ALPA MEC and its Advisors will address the issue and there should be a TA announced shortly.

The next step is for Bruce Lakefield and the ALPA MEC Officers/NC to meet, which will occur next Tuesday to discuss the framework to begin “Going Forward Plan†discussions.

Many people want to see a specific business plan now so they can receive instant gratification, but something so big and so complex -- such as the first ever network Carrier/LCC hybrid can not be done quickly. Moreover, it’s likely to be a plan in progress.

For example, what type of flight crew productivity changes will be negotiated? Once this number is known then the company can develop a schedule with the required block hours and all of the other associated issues, which should occur in the not-so-distant future.

SalesGuyCCY’s comment of “There are many elements of the plan but the key points of relevance to most employees are being stated as simply as possible: costs MUST down and that includes several areas, one of which is labor. The rest of the plan is already known in many ways: Star Alliance, codeshares, reduce distribution costs, aggressively fend of Southwest, add new routes and planes where profitable, etc.†is accurate.

US Airways will not publicly share all of the details for competitive reasons, but we are moving forward.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Its never manegements fault. Check to see the salaries these "experts" are drawing. Compare them to Southwes or JetBlue or any LCC...or even AMR, NW!! Now we have JUly deadline!!! Good way to kill summer bookings!! Don't male anymore threats Bronner...pull the plug!!!!! Then we can move on.

USA320Pilot said:
There is a business plan, but to move forward with specifics it needs labor participation.
If there is a business plan, it would be nice to see something implemented.

A rolling hub at PHL does not require ALPA approval.

Increased stage length on domestic flights does not need ALPA approval

A fleet simplification plan based on Airbus equipment does not need ALPA approval.

So far, the only thing I see actually implemented as far as a business plan change is increased service on Saturday to leisure destinations. A start, but hardly anything comprehensive.

This comprehensive plan always seems to be attached to an employee concession, even when an employee concessions will not solve the problem.

I find it interesting that with two rounds of concessions complete, US Airways CASM has only been lowered from about 12.7 cents to 10.7 cents. Thats a decrease of 16% over two rounds of concessions. So my guess is that round three results in another 8% decline in CASM to 9.8 cents. Not even close to LCC levels around (7.5cents). This indicates to me that this company should try to wring out costs from somewhere else... like the examples I noted above.

Oh, and the EMBRAER's won't help the CASM equation, as smaller aircraft tend to have higher CASM. Therefore, Airways might be better off to sell or otherwise not operate the "EMBRAER division".

JetMech said:
Its never manegements fault. Check to see the salaries these "experts" are drawing. Compare them to Southwes or JetBlue or any LCC...or even AMR, NW!! Now we have JUly deadline!!! Good way to kill summer bookings!! Don't male anymore threats Bronner...pull the plug!!!!! Then we can move on.
These are quotes from 2002 and I would love to see more recent quotes, but none the less you will find this intersting. Supposedly these figures include pay, bonuses, etc.

Seigel 3.8million

Southwest CEO $661,000

JetBlue CEO $367,000

You can go to finance.yahoo.com and access info on airlines. Again I found this quite interesting. I realize it is older information, so please if anyone has anything updated,let me know.

BTW, a recent break down of what a topped out rsv agent at SW and what one makes at US put things into perspective for me. This comparison was posted at work. Does anyone know where I can find this information for myself?

The July deadline is due to the ATSB EBITDAR requirements. Either there is labor participation in the "Going Forward Plan" or Bronner says he will begin selling assets, which could lead to an orderly liquidation of the company.

With the news that United may not qualify for the loan guarantee, there could be other opportunities because Bronner recently told the Charlotte Observer to maintain credibility with Morgan Stanley and bidders, it's important to make a decision within a few months, he said. "If you stay in the red, you sell assets," he said. "Once you get in the black, it's a new game."

Retirement Systems of Alabama, which gained control of the airline during its bankruptcy, won't put more money into US Airways now. "You never want to throw good money after bad ... to save something that's bleeding," he said.

But if the airline turns profitable, it could invest in acquiring more assets.

Bronner emphasized that he is not a typical corporate investor who is "in to get anything and everything we can."

Respectfully,

USA320Pilot

>>With the news that United may not qualify for the loan guarantee, there could be other opportunities because Bronner recently told the Charlotte Observer to maintain credibility with Morgan Stanley and bidders, it's important to make a decision within a few months, he said. <<

OK mr. ICT, UCT, UFB or whatever, tell me just what news there is of late that says United may not qualify for the ATSB loan??? Come on, put some meat into it.

PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR

tumbleweed said:
>>With the news that United may not qualify for the loan guarantee, there could be other opportunities because Bronner recently told the Charlotte Observer to maintain credibility with Morgan Stanley and bidders, it's important to make a decision within a few months, he said. <<

OK mr. ICT, UCT, UFB or whatever, tell me just what news there is of late that says United may not qualify for the ATSB loan??? Come on, put some meat into it.

PORTION DELETED BY MODERATOR
IMHO, there is a near-zero chance of United getting meaningful support from ATSB anytime soon with its continuing horrific losses ($6 million/day from OPERATIONS alone).

So USA320Pilot,
We're supposed to just give them whatever concessions they want,no questions asked,and then ,whenever management feels the time is right,all will be revealed to us. [/B] Boy,I bet car salesmen just lick their chops when they see you coming!

The only plan management has ever had is to negotiate give backs, and what can't be achieved through negotiation will be stolen !

Bronner seems to be a little annoyed that the flight attendants did not see him walk on water, as the pilots did.

Bronners statement that if the F/A's want to see a plan on paper, they are in the wrong business is crazy.

Maybe the pilots don't need to see proof of a plan, but the rest of us not seeing the walking on water thing may need to, since the only thing after Bronner is Daves word.

Lets just get on with it, I'm sure Dave can't wait for his Five Million Dollar push out the door when It's over.

Linemech

Welcome to the New World Order, where corporate corruption and employee pillage is sanctioned with big bonuses to CEO's while the working man hits the streets for all his loyal years of service only to find a world that is anything but labor friendly. Dave Siege is one big lie finding his rewards in this life only, and this life doesn’t last very long.

Ten thousand fools proclaim themselves into obscurity, while one wise man forgets himself into immortality.

Martin Luther King Jr.

If Usairways was making hand over foot I could understand this argument of greed. How can you argue that when we have loast this much money these many years. The internal organs here arent operating properly. PERIOD! It doesnt do anyone any good to stand back and use the "phrase of the day" Its reality ! I will say that Dave needs to lead the way to show his leadership but that is his call. At this point its not his salary thats broke. Its the industry model that we have followed for a long time.

Latest posts