US Airways' Employees Unite, Warn Management to Dump Anti-Labor Tactics

Talk is cheap , and it's growing cheaper by the day , ACTIONS speak louder than words . If we want this company to finally hear us we will need ACTION .As a fleet service worker we have given this company MORE than enough of our lives to get it’s act together and get everything straightened out … The clock is ticking sandcastle , can you hear it ? …… times running out fast , there’s isn’t much of it left ….. :unsure: :shock:

:ph34r:
ACTION? explain what kind of ACTION we can take! Just curious. Do we walk out? Do we

screw the passengers? We already do that! Do we deliver a lousy product?

We already do that too! Do we loose passengers checked bags? OH, WE ALREADY DO THAT! In fact

we do that the best of any airline out there! C'mon Freedom, lets hear what ACTION can be taken!

I'm all for change. I struggle everyday like you and the rest of fleet service! Your threats do not

impress me. We need to put pressure on the union. Oh yeah, they want to raise our dues again

because of the great job they have done in representing us. Again, please explain, ACTION!

You never know, we all might want a piece of the ACTION!

The memberships of all unions were not involved with the decision to form a coalition. Another stroke for our National Unions to start something but forget to ask the dues paying members if they are in agreement. We don't recognize any coalition that hasn't been presented to the UNION!

Crellin was not in Negotiations.

And the reason was in the M&R is that the we could never reach an agreement, because the company wanted to layoff 50% of the mtc workforce.

We had presented the company with a complete contract that met the ask minus the pension termination as we would never agree to that and we knew rubber stamp Mitchell would give them that anyhow.

If you want to see a copy of the proposal shoot me a PM and I will send you it.

Crellin may not have sat at the table with you, but he enabled this abortion of a merger - he was the continuity guy from US to LCC. Plus you know full well he was the driving force behind the total lack of intention to abide by the fleet contract (sure, the BOD was down with it, but Crellin was the enforcer).

Plus, you neglect the larger point - the unions did not build one iota of solidarity with the membership on this deal.

I really don't blame the $100,000 club, because if the membership ever comes together, the first thing they will do is kick their worthless 'leadership' to the curb.

A divided workforce serves the interests of US and the $100,000 crowd.

The memberships of all unions were not involved with the decision to form a coalition. Another stroke for our National Unions to start something but forget to ask the dues paying members if they are in agreement. We don't recognize any coalition that hasn't been presented to the UNION!
since when ARE WE INVOLVED? LOA's have been passed and negotiations made with no votes from the membership...many are asking what we are paying dues for when we are not even informed of the big ticket items.

Is it a good idea to unite with unions that have a conflict of interests? First, people in general have no interest in labor squabbles among the airlines or anything else. Then to unite what would be blue collar-white collar workers seems to defeat the purpose. Your negotiations are probably at different times.

...newly formed US Airways Labor Coalition, which includes the union leaders for the pilots, flight attendants, customer service representatives, dispatchers, fleet service workers, mechanics, and all other labor groups at US Airways.

I see the various unions in my line of work, and some think they get the short end of the stick. This creates animosity and hatred.

Personally I hope you succeed, but it may come with a cost. I've seen union leaders on all sides shaft others.

If I undestand the last few posts, this was done without your knowledge. Well at one time all our union leaders got together and threw their full support for the company promising that the membership will do what they must. It wasn't the airline industry, but we did get the shaft.

The pilots might actually have more support from the rank and file if they weren't so obnoxiously selfish in their demands. I have never heard one of them express concern for any workgroup other than themselves. Quit being so damn greedy and get on with it! :bleh:

What part of this don’t you agree with?

Dear Fellow US Airways Employee:

Today is the beginning of a new chapter in the history of US Airways. For the first time, the union leaders of all the east and west labor groups at our airline have come together to form the US Airways Labor Coalition.

For nearly three years, we have each struggled with a management team that refuses to address our issues at the bargaining table and/or adhere to the agreements they made. Any glimmer of hope that things were about to change when management hired a million-dollar consulting team last year and solicited input from the employees was quickly extinguished when, after receiving the expert advice and feedback, management decided to spend more money on public relations instead of on working with labor to complete the merger. In fact, it's been business as usual with management naming several new corporate executives, banking millions of dollars each month as we remain separate operations, and blaming labor for all their failures.

As US Airways union leaders, it's time to reexamine our strategy. Each union has been focused on its own individual negotiations to improve our wages, benefits and working conditions and enforcing those contracts already in place. Management has attempted to use negotiations to divide union members for too long.

From this day forward, the US Airways Labor Coalition vows that we will no longer pay the price for this merger, nor will we fund management's dreams of a bigger airline while several of our contracts remain open and all of our members are disrespected by management. With speculation of more consolidation on the horizon, there's never been a better time for us to join forces to ensure that we are a part of any future transaction involving US Airways.

The US Airways Labor Coalition will help us achieve our goals by creating a strong, unified voice for labor that management cannot ignore. Not only will we strategize regularly to collaborate on issues, we will also support each other's efforts and hold events so that all unionized employees may demonstrate their fury and frustration over management's complete disregard for labor and our issues.

Our actions will lend credit to our words and express our commitment to this alliance. While we may be separate organizations, we can no longer be divided. What affects one of us affects us all. We stand united in our quest for a better working environment and will not rest until management throws out their anti-labor tactics and deals with labor in a fair and equitable manner.

In solidarity,

The pilots might actually have more support from the rank and file if they weren't so obnoxiously selfish in their demands. I have never heard one of them express concern for any workgroup other than themselves.
When have other work groups "expressed concern" for the pilots?

Bear,

There will never be support from other groups at US for the Pilots, because the pilots think they are better then everyone.

Especially during the Strike of the M&R at US, they cut a secret deal with US, that if they crossed the picket line, every pilot would get paid for their trips no matter if they flew it or not.

US grounded the entire DC-9, MD-80, F28, F100 and 737-200 fleet.

During the 30 day cooling off period and during the stike pilots were cleaning planes.

Pilots at US have never supported any other work group and have always had the elitist attitude.

It takes repspect to get respect, at the the AFA tried to honor our picket line only to be ordered back to work by a Federal Judge.

And the Ramp and Customer Service were non-union so they did not have a choice.

Bear,

There will never be support from other groups at US for the Pilots, because the pilots think they are better then everyone.
OK, but my point was simpler: Why do other groups expect some sort of "support" from the pilots, when they think pilots are nothing but greedy evil ba$tards (as your post shows)? Why should ALPA spend its dues money fighting the battles of other work groups?

Pilots at US have never supported any other work group and have always had the elitist attitude.
Frankly, I am not sure I blame them. Compared to other work groups, becoming a pilot takes a lot more training and there are relatively fewer people qualified to fly an airplane for an airline than there are to, say, serve drinks on the plane, or clean out the seat back pockets between flights, or enter travel reservation information into a computer.

Quite simply, in labor market terms, pilots are worth a heck of a lot more than other airline employees. They should leverage that as much as they can. If I were a pilot paying dues to a union, I would expect my union to do just that.

Perhaps they have an elitist attitude because, in terms of what it takes to become an airline pilot compared to other jobs, they are in fact among the elite?

Not anymore, they are a dime a dozen, and real unions support each other, especially on the same property.

Not anymore, they are a dime a dozen . . .
I'm not so sure. Do pilots get the same "dime" as, say, stock clerks? If not, why do you think that is?

and real unions support each other, especially on the same property.
Perhaps the best strategy for a pilots' union is to simply accept that it is not a "real" union by your book (whatever that is), move on and simply go about doing what is best for its members. At least that is what I would advise. Why should highly-trained pilots be held back in any way for the sake of people who didn't bother to get any education past high school? And who detest pilots to boot?