US Airways Flight Attendants, Finally United, Look to the Next Merger

Hatu

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
MIA
CHARLOTTE, N.C. (TheStreet) -- At a historic meeting on Wednesday, flight attendants from US Airways(LCC_) and America West formally merged their union chapters, nearly eight years after the two carriers merged, and prepared to step into another merger into a bigger airline where their union's future is at stake.

Roger Holmin, who was elected president of the merged US Airways AFA chapter, added: "We've been called 'east' and 'west' for eight years. Today is a milestone: We are one." The union will have local chapters in Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington. The local presidents elected Holmin, who took office May 2, to fill out a term that runs through Dec. 31. Another election for a full term will take place this fall.

http://www.thestreet.com/story/11924905/1/us-airways-flight-attendants-finally-united-look-to-the-next-merger.html?puc=yahoo&cm_ven=YAHOO

“When workgroups fight each other, the boss wins,” Shook said.
Hey, pilots, did you read that part? :)

Read more here: http://www.charlotteobserver.com/2013/05/16/4044116/us-airways-flight-attendants-combine.html#storylink=cpy

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (TheStreet) -- At a historic meeting on Wednesday, flight attendants from US Airways(LCC_) and America West formally merged their union chapters, nearly eight years after the two carriers merged, and prepared to step into another merger into a bigger airline where their union's future is at stake.

Roger Holmin, who was elected president of the merged US Airways AFA chapter, added: "We've been called 'east' and 'west' for eight years. Today is a milestone: We are one." The union will have local chapters in Charlotte, Philadelphia, Phoenix and Washington. The local presidents elected Holmin, who took office May 2, to fill out a term that runs through Dec. 31. Another election for a full term will take place this fall.

http://www.thestreet...oo&cm_ven=YAHOO

While good news, it is only about eight years later than the AFA constitution required it!

You can thank USAPA for the delay.
I am not sure I follow you. USAPA would have nothing to do with another work groups national policy on merging MEC groups together. What is being discussed is the election of AFA MEC officers. Unless you know something the rest of us do not, perhaps? No pilot group, ALPA, USAPA or any other group including airline management would have any effect on this.

How did their SLI go?

Are all those SAN, LAX, SFO flight attendants enjoying Hawaii? We miss you in PHL and CLT int'l.

The America West Flight Attendants got screwed but they did it to themselves by joining a union with a Date Of Hire merger policy.

traderjake, you are kidding, right? Exactly what career expectations would the lowest paid and lacking in all other respects, group of F/As in the US merit as far as some other type of seniority integration? The more I read the pompous comments coming from your side, the more I understand why you guys are in the mess you are.

Date of hire is truly the only fair way to do integration for the F/As.

Back