US Airways looks to other Asia routes

BKK!!! There are only 2 daily non-stops that I can find. Thai flies LAX & JFK to BKK. Tried to non-rev there early Janurary and they were full!!
Yeah, and Thai is losing millions on those routes, and can't find way to make it work.

Flights from US to BKK are dirt cheap with EVA, Air China, Korean, Asiana, JAL all offering non stops.

Let me go on the record here. US will not be winning ANY Asia slots for a while.

But you can still dream about flying a big bird to NRT if you want to.

You are SOOOO spot on!! I am so sick of these visions of granduer around. We have THE worst customer service and inflight product and NO...thats NO airplanes on the property FOR the route and you guys think the govt will give US China authority on the promise of 2 A340's.

We ARE the joke of the industry and we want to enter a HIGHLY competitive market like China?

I can here it now. You have a bad attitude...NO, keeping it real!!

Flights from US to BKK are dirt cheap

Not cheap...inexpensive. US Airways is cheap! <_<

Maybe it is just how the thread title and linked article are worded, but why is seeking NRT slots and aircraft contingent on getting China approval? Seems like they should get the planes first, and then if China falls through, still try to go ahead with NRT.

While it's true, Asian Carriers offer a far superior product to Asia, Ive flown most of them, and SQ or TG is the best, somehow NW and UA manage to hang in there. NW has the nasty, smelly interiors and bad food and cabin service, UA has nice clean cabins and good food, but very rude, poor and nasty cabin service. Once both carriers get to NRT, Asian cabin crews take over and is a world of difference.... :up: So maybe LCC can squeeze a nickel or two out of the route. Cant really be much worse than any other domestic carrier. But if Im paying money for a trip, it's going to CX, TG or SQ.

While it's true, Asian Carriers offer a far superior product to Asia, Ive flown most of them, and SQ or TG is the best, somehow NW and UA manage to hang in there. NW has the nasty, smelly interiors and bad food and cabin service, UA has nice clean cabins and good food, but very rude, poor and nasty cabin service. Once both carriers get to NRT, Asian cabin crews take over and is a world of difference.... :up: So maybe LCC can squeeze a nickel or two out of the route. Cant really be much worse than any other domestic carrier. But if Im paying money for a trip, it's going to CX, TG or SQ.
What are the chances of acquiring a MNL or CEB non-stop route?

AA used the NRT slots to start up LAX-NRT. NRT slots are hard to get as LHR slots. However unlike LHR NRT does not have a treaty governing which airlines can serve it. I have heard that once the new runway is extended to allow for large international aircraft new slots will be given out. As to how they are given out, raffle, most money, I am unsure.

AA canceled SJC-NRT in October, 2006.

LAX-NRT began in April, 2004. Dunno how those two are related.

You may be thinking of JFK-NRT; AA used its SEA-NRT authority and slots to begin JFK-NRT in April, 2002.

IIRC, Japan and USA most certainly have a bilateral that governs route authority. Not as restrictive as China and not as restrictive as Bermuda II, but still not open skies.

AA canceled SJC-NRT in October, 2006.

LAX-NRT began in April, 2004. Dunno how those two are related.

You may be thinking of JFK-NRT; AA used its SEA-NRT authority and slots to begin JFK-NRT in April, 2002.

IIRC, Japan and USA most certainly have a bilateral that governs route authority. Not as restrictive as China and not as restrictive as Bermuda II, but still not open skies.
I believe the SJC-NRT slot went to DFW-NRT (2nd flight).

In addition to Philadelphia to Shanghai service, do not be surprised if US Airways seeks service from Philadelphia to Tokyo, Seoul, and Tel Aviv, which will require about 10 A-340's.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

You may think this is stupid, but I think that a flight from the east coast to Osaka would do well. JAL quit LAX to Osaka, and no one does it from the east coast. Do you think that there would be enough yields to do it?

In addition to Philadelphia to Shanghai service, do not be surprised if US Airways seeks service from Philadelphia to Tokyo, Seoul, and Tel Aviv, which will require about 10 A-340's.

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Riiiight. This is an airline which basically can't fill past LGW/FRA/MUC/CDG/MAN (and MAN's only because of a local contract) in the winter over the Atlantic. Can't (or won't) fly LAS-anywhere in Europe, yet it's your postulation that in addition to NRT (to a slot US does not have) that US is going to fly to Seoul and Tel Aviv.

I wish I knew the hebrew for "and their is a tooth fairy, charlie brown...."

Yeah, and Thai is losing millions on those routes, and can't find way to make it work.

Flights from US to BKK are dirt cheap with EVA, Air China, Korean, Asiana, JAL all offering non stops.

When I go to the web sites for the airlines you mention I can only find connecting service to BKK. Where are you looking?

Regards,

USA320Pilot

Jerry Glass: "We need you pilots to work under LOA 93 for the rest of your lives so we can afford to buy these shiny new four-engine airplanes."

East Pilots: "Okay!"