US Airways - new changes of Seat configurations

there are entirely too many f/c seats on the 321's anyway. 16 is just fine. they should also go up to 16 on the 757's but 26 in first class on that 321, too much

THANK YOU!! To all you FF's I understand, but from a f/a viewpoint,, 26 is TOO MANY!!
1. A predeparture is IMPOSSIBLE if you want someone to say hi to each customer, which I INSIST upon!!
2. Now that we are plating food again in fc, the C f/a will definitely make the 321 a slaveship for coach. BTW, thumbs up on the return of glassware on transcon and long haul Caribbean.

16 is just right. In fact, I think ALL our ac (except the 767 and 330) should have 16 seats so that any change of ac would not effect the fc customer.

Guys, as long as we are at minimun f/as 26 are TOO MANY...PERIOD!!

And guys, some of are sooooo sick of hearing about UAL!!! Please, if it is so great...GO!!! Just GO!! You see, the constant rubbing shiit in our face gets old. Tell me , what do you guys do for a living? Would you like me to trash the company you work for OR the company you own? That's what some of you do EVERY TIME you post. TELL THE COMPANY!!!

Guys, as long as we are at minimun f/as 26 are TOO MANY...PERIOD!!

And guys, some of are sooooo sick of hearing about UAL!!! Please, if it is so great...GO!!! Just GO!! You see, the constant rubbing shiit in our face gets old. Tell me , what do you guys do for a living? Would you like me to trash the company you work for OR the company you own? That's what some of you do EVERY TIME you post. TELL THE COMPANY!!!

Since when has the workforce been a reflection of the workload?

And quit telling our customers to go somewhere else.

If you read the customer's posts they do tell the company. The company does not respond.

Well said Dog Wonder. We have tried and are trying to tell the company. Whether or not they are willing to listen, the jury is still out. I have had some positive signs of late, but nothing substantive.

LCC#1, the primary problem with a predeparture service in the 321 is the boarding through the #1 door, due to the poor design of the airplane (#2 door too close to the engine for safety margin for jetway). We have never faulted you for that, but 16 or 20 wouldn't make a difference, you'd still have a hard time.

And you know what, if you really feel that way, perhaps many of us SHOULD go over to UA...then you wouldn't have an issue with 26 seats in F because you'd have maybe 10 FF up there. I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree with you.

And for what its worth the reason we have stayed despite all the cutting, is YOU and your colleagues....or at least your colleagues....
Nothing personal, but if you showed that kind of an attitude to a customer, I doubt they would want to stay..

And UW Cactus, you are right AND you are wrong. An LCC in generic terms is a low fare, low cost carrier, like a Jetblue or a Southworst. LCC is neither a low cost or low fare carrier by that definition. Their costs are higher, and their fares don't even come close to competitive.

Look folks, we are never going to agree 100% on any of this, but I could see maybe 20-22 on the 321, assuming its primary mission is transcons. I agree 26 is too much for FL east coast or CLT-LGA which it does alot, although there is the highest percentage of US1's and US2's on that run I have ever seen.

I am reasonable folks, but so far it has been all take and no give.....

Since when has the workforce been a reflection of the workload?

And quit telling our customers to go somewhere else.

If you read the customer's posts they do tell the company. The company does not respond.
Then stop rubbing the shiit in our face of how great UAL is.

As far as workforce, there was a time when the 321 would have at LEAST 5 f/a's...2 in fc and 3 in coach. Now it is 2 in front and 2 in the slave section. You wouldnt and shouldnt care because all you care about is your GD entitled upgrade.

The WORST thing EVER created was the FF program!! American can suck it for leading the way...oh, another moneymaker. Do I get frequent ANYTHING from the company YOU work for. The ff program IS a drag on the airlines. I DO appreciate the loyalty of you guys but NO other industry follows the kind of path as airlines with customers..not even hotels. The industry with the lowest collective profit margin over 50 years gives the most away. Now THAT is stupid!!

LCC#1, the primary problem with a predeparture service in the 321 is the boarding through the #1 door, due to the poor design of the airplane (#2 door too close to the engine for safety margin for jetway). We have never faulted you for that, but 16 or 20 wouldn't make a difference, you'd still have a hard time.

And for what its worth the reason we have stayed despite all the cutting, is YOU and your colleagues....or at least your colleagues....
Nothing personal, but if you showed that kind of an attitude to a customer, I doubt they would want to stay..

First of all, Art, SHAME on you for the jab at me. I have been MORE than pro cutomer and you know that, so CUT THE CRAP!! I am FULLY aware of the poor design of the exists on the 321. Don't preach to the choir. The problem with you and many here is that if we fundamentally disagree with you, you slam us with idiotic words making US look like piss poor employees with bad attitudes. Well, I'm calling you on your crap here and I DEMAND an apology. I have my opinions and that should NEVER be a reflection on how I treat the customer or YOU!! I FUNDAMENTALLY believe ALL airlines should get rid of the FF programs. They ARE a drag and NO OTHER INDUSTRY GIVES AS MUCH AWAY...NOT ONE!! It;s time for ALL the airlines to reconsider if this industry can AFFORD to piiss away MILLIONS of dollars in the name of "loyalty", which there really isn't. But no, to say that is as wicked as speaking against the Miami Cuban-Americans or those who have a differing opinion on Israel...A SIN! And to have an opinion differing from you and the ff's means I have a bad attitude? GET REAL, ART!! What do YOU do for a living or own. How would you feel if I shiit on your company each and every day, 365 days a year? You don't care!! It just gets old. You all speak as if all was perfect before the merger. Well, let me just tell you that AWA DID save our ass!! Your ff miles would mean nothing today if not for the Sandcastle!!

I am all up with your love and loyalty, but if you are whipping the rear end of your child while saying I love you, it means NOTHING!! Can you just for ONE moment put your selfish needs aside and think about that?

LCC#1

First of all if you are telling customers to go elsewhere, that's a problem. I did complement you, but I said IF your attitude on this board shows on the job, then that's a problem. No offense intended, but your comments make it seem like you want to bite the hand that feeds you.

For the record, I have never slammed the employees of US, in fact I have been one of the most ARDENT supporters of employees past and present. NOTE I said that the employees are the only reason we stayed..and don't give the sand castle too much credit here, it was a MERGER--they each saved each other. Without Lakefield there would have been no money.

I have always said that the POTENTIAL here is enormous....but to take and take from the customer and give nothing back is absolutely absurd.

And for the record it has been proven elsewhere that Frequent Flier programs are actually profitable..in fact I believe Air Canada spun theirs off and sold part or all of it...and made a nice penny in the process.

If you THINK I insulted you then I do apologize..that was not my intent. But I am the last customer you should call selfish my friend..I act from a sense of realistic expectation, not a sense of entitlement. If the company wants to do away with first class entirely that is their right. There are precious few people actually paying for it, nor should they with the current state of the product (AGAIN not a dig against employees, but the product itself). You guys make it SEEM much better than it actually is.

When a customer is flying 100,000 or more miles a year, and has pilots AND flight attendants come up to him and recognize him from here or from prior flights, and they all say thanks for what we've done for the company, then I have to think we're on to something.And when we are on between 4 and 10 airplanes a WEEK, like you, I think we do deserve the courtesy of the larger seat when available. But I am not here for my own self aggrandisement..I want what I think you want--a secure and healthy and successful US Airways, which brings professional courtesy and job satisfaction to the employee, and which represents an outstanding value to the customer. I am afraid at this juncture, that is not the case, but I retain hope that it will be.

All we have done is offered a voice--to offer the opportunity for some "free" market research...and this has to date fallen on deaf ears. Again this is their right, but if they don't really care what the customer has to say, then perhaps you are right after all, and perhaps I should go, and take some of the other high yield FF's with me...That I believe will be noticed....

I wish you nothing but the best, and again, if you think I insulted you, I do apologize, but that was not my intent...and again, I am the LAST person you should be calling selfish...

And you know what, if you really feel that way, perhaps many of us SHOULD go over to UA...then you wouldn't have an issue with 26 seats in F because you'd have maybe 10 FF up there. I understand your point, but I respectfully disagree with you.
Just curious...but what fare would the average 'FF' in an 'F' seat have paid for the privlege? Wouldn't it be better if they had 10non-FF's up there - if those folks paid thte asking price for the ticket?

LCC#1

F
I wish you nothing but the best, and again, if you think I insulted you, I do apologize, but that was not my intent...and again, I am the LAST person you should be calling selfish...

No problem, ART..your words are on record and respected. I hope to serve you some day as I really do enjoy you guys.

Just curious...but what fare would the average 'FF' in an 'F' seat have paid for the privlege? Wouldn't it be better if they had 10non-FF's up there - if those folks paid thte asking price for the ticket?

KC....take a good look at the face in your avatar. That's what is flying more & more. Would this person pay for a FC ticket? NO. Would this person continue to fly an airline that has no real FC? NO. There are very few people paying for a real FC ticket (domestic).

So who brings in the real $$$? It's the large FF base. For every dollar I spend on work travel how much do you think I spend on personal travel? Almost the exact same amount sometimes. I don't choke at paying over $500 to go across country but Ma & Pa Kettle do. What I choke on is the $1000 PIT to BOS airfares because I have a limited schedule or have to get there ASAP.

I chuckle when I get told by the "A" F/A that I'm his/her best passenger on a flight. WHY? Because I don't bother them. It's those non-frequent flyers who think sitting upfront in FC is all champagne and caviar.

As for being told to fly another carrier like someone shouted at us on here.......we have and we do. But for some unknown reason, just like you, we continue to fly on US. One of my best friends is a furloughed US F/A. He can't wait to get called back. Ofcourse he's making TONS better money now in his new job, but he wants to be back on those planes. I think it's the same sick dementia some of your very frequent flyers have. US is comfortable for us. Even with all it's faults.

Oh and LCC#1........hotels have a very nice loyalty program. I have been DIAMOND with HILTON & PLATINUM with MARRIOTT for 9 years now. Both programs afford me a great deal of benefits, from free nights at exclusive properties to diamond necklaces. So don't think that only airlines have a large loyalty base. I just used some hotel reward points to purchase a very nice wireless home theater system that would have cost over $900 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Now that's a nice gift from them to me for being loyal.

Who care if they take ten seats out I mean, to think, someone actually paid for first class, what a concept. I mean really, maybe if there is only 16 seats they can start doing a predeparture beverage service, which should be happening anyway.
Well when you start working as "A" on that airplane you let us know how it goes.

Anyone familiar with the west operation already knew when this merger occured, the configuration on the East side was going to be modified on some a/c. Closets removed to add more seats on some a/c and a reduction of first class seats on some a/c to allow for more coach pax. This airline has to continue to remain competetive and keep its revenue stream maximized..that is the survival mode that is necessary for todays airlines. This airline wasn't named LCC because of its high cost of operating.
Yes but the West planes are tacky and ghetto (no offense) on the inside. They are terribly uncomfortable, the seats DO NOT match (some big, some small, some blue, some green) row 5 has tons of leg room while row 6 you can't even get into the seat, the front galley on the 300 is so small even Mini Me can't fit into it. I mean come on has anyone been on Southwest, their interior is VERY nice, leather seats, nice pitch, very comfortable. They have 137 ALL COACH seats in their 737-300 while America West has 134 and that's with First Class. We can be Low Cost but we DO NOT have to be cheap and tacky. This is absolutely incredible, Do any of these people see the big picture? It's not just about making a profit. They might be making one now but if they keep up with this crap it won't last long as we will be chasing off everyone!!

Weight will be a problem on the 321 with more seats. Last night one of the flights to SAN had to stop in PHX for fuel. I have always thought we should take out a few rows of seats and do like UA with the E+. I wish we would also try and block the middle seats in the first 4 or 5 rows of coach, unless the flight is completely full. This would give the Elite members a little more space.

You guys really are great!! Hum..where to begin..despite my opinions...they are like a holes..we all have them...I do so appreciate the loyalty..really I do..I get frustrated, but who doesn't? I may not agree with the ff program , but as long as its here, I'm going to be there to do what I can to be the best f/a for you. I am 43...stll looking good...and know how to adhere to proper behavior. If the company offers, I will abide. That doesn't mean I agree, but if the company says to do such and such, I will. I work for them, not me. I just tire of criticism and that comes with the territory. It will do you guys good to know that I could NEVER be CEO, as I would run the company in the hole with lavishness. You see, I FIRMLY believe if you are going to do something, do it right. If not, pull it. THAT'S why I am for pulling the FF program. If you are going to belittle your top fliers, why HAVE a program? If you value them, you will kiss their butts. Can you do both? That's the age old quetion. UAL is asttempting to do so, but losing millions to this day. I come from the Piedmont days and WANT to give you the shirt off my back,,,BUT...CAN WE NOW LONGER AFFORD TO DO IT???? Thats the million dollar question.

LCC #1 I feel your frustration. I used to work for KODAK. Every single time that blasted stock took a nose dive inevidibly one of my customers would comment to me about it when I arrive onsite. Funny thing was, I worked for the Health Imaging group...... their most profitable division. But that didn't matter to MR. Customer. Kodak stock went down and I had to hear about it. Honestly I didn't care. Stock prices didn't affect my ability to do my job.

And if they decided to do away with all frequent flyer programs across all airlines. You'd be nothing more than a RYAN AIR. Selling everything. And you'd have to put up with even worse cattle flights than you do now.

FF programs are a give and take. I give you my business though lots and lots of revenue and you give me in return "perks" to keep me flying your airline. Do away with that, and there's no reason to continue to fly you unless you are absolutely the cheapest airline flying......aka RYAN AIR.

Oh and LCC#1........hotels have a very nice loyalty program. I have been DIAMOND with HILTON & PLATINUM with MARRIOTT for 9 years now. Both programs afford me a great deal of benefits, from free nights at exclusive properties to diamond necklaces. So don't think that only airlines have a large loyalty base. I just used some hotel reward points to purchase a very nice wireless home theater system that would have cost over $900 at Best Buy or Circuit City. Now that's a nice gift from them to me for being loyal.
I was typing these words in my head as I was reading through the post but I figured if you were online you'd beat me to this one. With about 800,000 hotel points, I won't have to pay for a Hilton or Marriott hotel for a very long time. And to a smaller degree, you have the rental cars, credit cards, fuel perks (those in PIT will know that), coffee house cards.....I have so many frequent this and that cards in my car that it's sometimes hard to keep them straight....but it's all in the name of customer loyalty.

Back