US Airways' New Pilot Leader Calls Himself a 'Peacemaker'

Can someone kindly explain why we've resorted to using the pejorative "Scab" when referring to others with an opposing point of view?

While I don't pretend to know all of the nuances of the current situation, I find calling someone a scab as offensive if not more so then using the "N-Word" as a descriptor of another.

I was 8 years old the first time I went "Down on the picket line" with my Dad. Funny thing was all the other men (IBT) were busy hiding their Playboy Magazines from a very curious set of eyes. But I learned a lot that day about what it meant to be "union". Much of it I rejected for me personally but I've made it 57 years now and I've never crossed a picket line or called anyone a "Scab"

When you call your brethren "Scabs" you disrespect every single union man who has gone "down on the picket line". An action that in some parts of the country could get you killed in the '20's and 30's.

You should all be ashamed of yourselves.

I do not mind explaining at all.

These scabs used their majority numbers to strip the west of union representation in an attempt to steal our jobs.

So not only do they steal West jobs....these scabs even busted the West's union representation to do it!!

Reactions: 1 person

These scabs used their majority numbers to strip the west of union representation in an attempt to steal our jobs.

So not only do they steal West jobs....these scabs even busted the West's union representation to do it!!

Below is my understanding of the word "Scab" as it applies to unions in general. Sorry but I don't see any scabs.

Definition

Employee who
(1) continues to work during strike action at the place of work,
(2) accepts work where strike action is going on,
(3) takes work in a non-union shop or
(4) under non-union conditions where a union is trying to organize a unit.

So I'm still confused.

Below is my understanding of the word "Scab" as it applies to unions in general. Sorry but I don't see any scabs.

Definition

Employee who
(1) continues to work during strike action at the place of work,
(2) accepts work where strike action is going on,
(3) takes work in a non-union shop or
(4) under non-union conditions where a union is trying to organize a unit.

So I'm still confused.
Your understanding is partially correct, you omit the use of scab for someone who is opportunistically stealing someone else job. I refer you to the company filings in federal court, where Mr. Siegel the most respected RLA attorney in the country states without equivocation that the east pilots thru usapa have actively avoided the Nicolau to the detriment of the west pilots. Look it up and then lecture the west whether or not these east clowns are scabs

Your understanding is partially correct, you omit the use of scab for someone who is opportunistically stealing someone else job. I refer you to the company filings in federal court, where Mr. Siegel the most respected RLA attorney in the country states without equivocation that the east pilots thru usapa have actively avoided the Nicolau to the detriment of the west pilots. Look it up and then lecture the west whether or not these east clowns are scabs

Sorry, I looked at the definition of "Scab" on not less than 6 websites. I understand your point. Court filings do not a scab make

We just can't get a good contract. The ninth predicted this. The NIC is bad for everyone, even the west.

Oh golly gee, we are just doing what is legal, poor us we give those mean westies every opportunity to work with us but those meanies just won't do it. Shut up scab, you know damn well ur a big pos like the rest of the clowns.

Oh golly gee because you are in the minority and don't get things your way you just won't participate and take the oportunity to work with the other side and so you are being picked on.

Have a nice weekend, maybe have a beer and chill out.

in 5 years
Sorry, I looked at the definition of "Scab" on not less than 6 websites. I understand your point. Court filings do not a scab make

Sparrow let them spew. Do you not get it yet. Yes we agreed to Binding arb. We expected BOTH sides would be mad. The NIC was an incredible piece of work. Sure he put the top 517 U guys on top and BUT FOR the change to the age 60 rule MOST of them would already be gone. NIC found that the U guys had NO career expectations despite giving up BILLIONS in wages and lost pensions THE VERY REASON WHY U WAS A GOOD TAKEOVER TARGET TO BEGIN WITH....much like AMR is now. A hellofa thing to tell somene who has given up so much that they have NO career expectation. Plus NIC found that we would gain a whopping 22 million a year under the West contract. If not for sep ops West guys would be in Capatin seats now on the 330 ahead of U pilots who have been here 10-12 years longer and who are much older. The west guy gets a 330 capt slot with 20 years ahead of a U guy who has been here 30 and the West guy is in his mid fifties and the U guy is in his early sixties. Happens just about all of the way down the list. When PSA merged with US Air and then the West coast was closed they just about ALL came East and now make the vast majority of the widebody captains. You just don't realize how bad the NIC is until you realize that yea there will be a few guys who will still move up out east but do you not get that when a group who is substantially YOUNGER gets to leap frog the older group you reach a point of HUGH stagnation for the group who is older and been here longer.....and gave up so much to keep the damn thing afloat. Do you not think that the guys from other airlines who sit as neutrals want to be asked to do it again and they know that what they are seeing will probably HELP them in the next merger.

BY the way..how do you think an AMR guy would feel if fuel went to 150 per and AMR loses 200mil a month, burn through their cash and an arb tells em..sorry you HAVE NO CAREER EXPECTATION.

Don't forget 95% of our list is DOH and now after 20-25 years we have been told...sorry gonna do it another way now. You think Delta guys who gained 5 years on NW guys think it is fair. Sure they do. Why wouldn't they. You got half who love it half who don't. The west guys who are screaming the loudest are the guys who won't get their Capt seats in 5 years now....more like 10-15 ...yea we know it sucks,,,,been there done that!!! But dudes YOUR career expectations changed the day PARKER picked up the phone. Thats how this business it. Wait your turn. If we have to use our vote to MAKE you wait so be. You think I am a scab. Don't care. Will do fine on LOA 93. Don't even think about the West unless I come over here and read about it.

NICDOA
NPJB

Reactions: 3 people

Nic , your on the verge of a major breakdpwn, I bet you are going to go the way of that Jet Blue guy, your just about over the edge and your making your co-workers very nervous when they fly with you!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

You won't find it in any other place than fodase's mind and I don't think that is a place you want to go.

We are all ashamed, especially the scabs (not that there actually are more than a hand full and they were scabs long before Doug came along).

Sad to say but some posters call anybody a scab if they don't agree with them.

in 5 years

Sparrow let them spew. Do you not get it yet. Yes we agreed to Binding arb. We expected BOTH sides would be mad. The NIC was an incredible piece of work. Sure he put the top 517 U guys on top and BUT FOR the change to the age 60 rule MOST of them would already be gone. NIC found that the U guys had NO career expectations despite giving up BILLIONS in wages and lost pensions THE VERY REASON WHY U WAS A GOOD TAKEOVER TARGET TO BEGIN WITH....much like AMR is now. A hellofa thing to tell somene who has given up so much that they have NO career expectation. Plus NIC found that we would gain a whopping 22 million a year under the West contract. If not for sep ops West guys would be in Capatin seats now on the 330 ahead of U pilots who have been here 10-12 years longer and who are much older. The west guy gets a 330 capt slot with 20 years ahead of a U guy who has been here 30 and the West guy is in his mid fifties and the U guy is in his early sixties. Happens just about all of the way down the list. When PSA merged with US Air and then the West coast was closed they just about ALL came East and now make the vast majority of the widebody captains. You just don't realize how bad the NIC is until you realize that yea there will be a few guys who will still move up out east but do you not get that when a group who is substantially YOUNGER gets to leap frog the older group you reach a point of HUGH stagnation for the group who is older and been here longer.....and gave up so much to keep the damn thing afloat. Do you not think that the guys from other airlines who sit as neutrals want to be asked to do it again and they know that what they are seeing will probably HELP them in the next merger.

BY the way..how do you think an AMR guy would feel if fuel went to 150 per and AMR loses 200mil a month, burn through their cash and an arb tells em..sorry you HAVE NO CAREER EXPECTATION.

Don't forget 95% of our list is DOH and now after 20-25 years we have been told...sorry gonna do it another way now. You think Delta guys who gained 5 years on NW guys think it is fair. Sure they do. Why wouldn't they. You got half who love it half who don't. The west guys who are screaming the loudest are the guys who won't get their Capt seats in 5 years now....more like 10-15 ...yea we know it sucks,,,,been there done that!!! But dudes YOUR career expectations changed the day PARKER picked up the phone. Thats how this business it. Wait your turn. If we have to use our vote to MAKE you wait so be. You think I am a scab. Don't care. Will do fine on LOA 93. Don't even think about the West unless I come over here and read about it.

NICDOA
NPJB
Both sides were mad.

The arbitration was fair and was accepted by the company.

End of story.

Reactions: 4 people