US Airways New Schedule Continues Service to All 203 Communities

US Airways has also filed an application with the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) to begin daily nonstop roundtrip flights between Charlotte and Costa Rica's capital, San Jose, beginning as early as February 2003. Subject to U.S. and foreign government approvals, the San Jose service will operate year round as US Airways' second destination in Central America.

These schedule changes are interesting. The new DCA-BDA service is cut, yet US is adding LGA-IAD once again. Also, Martha's Vineyard, Hyannis, etc. are all being cut quite a bit -- Is this normal for the fall/winter season? I'm also VERY surprised there are no European cities being dropped.

The PDF is nice, though -- provides a good summary.

----------------
On 8/30/2002 12:30:36 PM

Subject to U.S. and foreign government approvals, the San Jose service will operate year round as US Airways' second destination in Central America.
----------------
Dumb Question, but is this counting the yet-to-start Belize City service or am I forgetting about another destination?

Seasonal cuts to MVY, ACK, and HYA aren't too surprising (and neither are cutbacks to some of the smaller places in Maine). Demand for travel to the Cape and Islands drops off a cliff after Labor Day.

It is a bit shocking to me, though, to see mainline service to DAY end, especially given that DAY had been a hub for Piedmont. Moreover, it looks like deep cuts of 25-30% are in store for all West coast destinations (aside from SNA, which has value due to its slot limitations). And the cuts to BDA are very deep -- from four daily flights to one. PIT also shoulders deep cuts, losing over 20% of its mainline service and about one in six flights overall. It seems the abandonment of BWI continues, while BOS continues to see reductions in service (and the US terminal at BOS seemed VERY quiet the last time was through there a month ago). CLT and PHL see far more modest cuts, though it's a bit ironic that BNA now has more service to the West Coast than CLT. I thought the plan before had been to shift a greater percentage of flying to longer routes, but it seems the longer routes are taking deeper cuts.

With the loss of DAY and SDF as mainline cities, US now (by my count) serves 62 domestic airports (not counting SJU, STT, STX) with mainline, which is three more than WN serves. [:0]