US Airways Service

4merresrat,

That damn International Sharon....She's my evil gnomey twin, she's always trying to threaten my reign here as the Sunshine Princess. She went to go find old people to not help in the street, so don't worry , ShaNNON is back and I wont let her on the computer.

Bother way, I thought I was just pointing out the obvious. I mean, typing in all caps looks more like an anxiety attack than a legit complaint, and also, everything is spelled wrong. You can't type retard and print genius.

SHARON!!! GET OFF THE COMPUTEDFareiowur39w~~!!
Oh, the dreaded typing in all caps. Unforgiveable. Too funny. . . :lol:

Sometimes, I wonder how true this really is... Southwest doesn't participate in ANY website that compares fares, they are almost never the cheapest, and their planes seem full.
As someone wiser than me said "perception is reality". WalMart is not always the cheapest however they have created the perception that they are the cheapest.

WN has created that perception-with good cause.

Sometimes, I wonder how true this really is... Southwest doesn't participate in ANY website that compares fares, they are almost never the cheapest, and their planes seem full.

Southwest planes are always full because you get to go on seven vacations for the price of one. When you board your flight you are going to go to three different cities before you get to your destination. Coming back you get to go to three more different cities before you get home. Seven vacations for the price of one. Don't forget all of the honey peanuts and soda that you can drink. All for free. I think that I'll book a see the United States in a weekend trip on Southwest.

Rogue

I just flew NW and the overhead bin situation was the same, if passengers would use their head while loading the bins there would be somewhat less of a problem...The FA's where asking everyone to please hold off on stowing outerwear, no one listened..

In one of our local magazines, UPS was running an ad selling their service as a way to avoid the airline baggage hassle. An idea that makes a lot of sense, ship your stuff ahead of time and not worry about baggage check fees, carry on room or potential loss/damage. Don't think the idea will catch on though

First off your statement is false. WN still has more connections than some legacy carriers but to state that is always the case is WRONG. Given the size of WN's PHL operation there are quite a few non stop destinations and an even greater number with exactly the same number of connections as US Airways.

It was JOKE, Bob!

Rogue

Southwest planes are always full because you get to go on seven vacations for the price of one. When you board your flight you are going to go to three different cities before you get to your destination. Coming back you get to go to three more different cities before you get home. Seven vacations for the price of one. Don't forget all of the honey peanuts and soda that you can drink. All for free. I think that I'll book a see the United States in a weekend trip on Southwest.

Rogue

Great points. Also note that because they don't have reserved seating, if you're last to board on an overbooked flight, they'll bump you with no compensation and you'll have to wait for the next WN flight with empty seats, which could be awhile since they don't interline! And there's basically no FF program!

Now, if you have kids (or even teenagers), it's great because you can pre-board the entire family. Most of the time you can even sit in the exit row with your kids (if they're quiet) because the flight attendants are so busy being chirpy and cracking jokes they don't notice. WN is not exactly the nation's safest carrier, what with their cowboy pilots crashing into Burbank gas stations and Chicago inner city neighborhoods.

US is a far better alternative for business travelers, with reserved seating, a world-class FF program, non-stop flights from three hubs, in-flight meals* and drinks*.

* for a small fee

US is a far better alternative for business travelers, with reserved seating, a world-class FF program, non-stop flights from three hubs, in-flight meals* and drinks*.

* for a small fee

If you are savvy enough, you can at least snag a reasonably good seat on WN, if not the exit row. And WN has narrowed the gap somewhat with Business Select and priority security access. WN's policies are much more customer-friendly than US's. These improvements have won over some of the former US die-hards who post on Flyertalk.

US's ace in the hole for the frequent business traveler is the bigger seat......and the ability to redeem miles for premium travel worldwide.

I guess it all depends upon what is more important to you.

Southwest's denied boarding procedures are much like any other carrier - ask for volunteers before using IDB. Compensation if they can't get you there within 2 hours of original schedule ($800 cash instead of vouchers unless passenger requests vouchers, $400 if they can get you there within 2 hrs of planned arrival).

Jim

You are comparing weeks out fares. Compare walkup US PHL-Bos to WN PHL-Providence and you will see that WN while may not be the cheapest does not ever rape the last minute customer with a unGodly walkup fare. WN sell more full fare tickets than any other airline. Full fare, thats the business traveler US lost and wants back.

As someone wiser than me said "perception is reality". WalMart is not always the cheapest however they have created the perception that they are the cheapest.

WN has created that perception-with good cause.

Exactly.

First of all, Southwest blankets the airwaves with advertising pounding into the minds of the Great Unwashed that they are the low-fare airline. You cannot watch a pro sports telecast in most markets in this country without seeing a Southwest ad in practically every commercial break. (And the recent ads lampooning other carriers' extra fees are just the latest example.)

And, as Stephen Wolf so accurately put it, Southwest creates a lower level of expectations (relative to the "legacy carriers"), and seldom fails to meet it.