US Airways Tells Man He Is 'Too Disabled' To Fly Alone

700UW

Corn Field
Nov 11, 2003
NC
Couldn't Guarantee Return Trip For Mother If She Accompanied Him

Andy Gates planned to fly to Wisconsin last week from Jacksonville, FL. He booked a flight on US Airways -- as he's done in the past -- went to the airport, checked his baggage, went through security, and waited to board like everyone else.

Just as he was preparing to board the aircraft June 6, gate agents informed him he could not board. They had determined he could not travel by himself, according to WKMG Orlando Channel 6.

"We went to the gate and they told me I could not fly... not alone," Gates said.

Gates has dystonia -- a neuro-muscular disease -- and is confined to a wheelchair.

"They said I was too disabled to fly alone. I don't have enough words to describe how angry I am." He said he felt outraged and discriminated against.

The airline manager told him he could fly if his mother, Patsy Gates, went with him.

"He says to me, 'You have six minutes to make a decision on whether to go. You can go with him or he cannot go. You have six minutes,'" she said. "Meanwhile, I am parked in a 30 minutes parking zone, and I'm having surgery tomorrow, and they did not guarantee me a way back."

Gates doesn't understand the furor -- as he's flown seven times in the past alone, even on US Airways... and hasn't had a problem.

"I have a college degree. I am completely intelligent. I can make my own decisions. I don't know why I was denied," Gates said.

The day after the incident, US Airways issued a statement that said, "US Airways personnel determined that (Gates) would not be able to assist in his own evacuation in the event of an emergency. We feel that our employees acted appropriately and followed both company and federal policy in this situation."

There is a law that says if a person has mobility impairments so severe they would not be able to assist with an evacuation, they can be denied travel. However, Gates said he could control his legs and arms enough to get into his chair, and he offered to demonstrate that to the airline.

The carrier said it would issue a refund, but it would take some time.

Gates hopes to catch a flight this weekend... on a different airline.

Couldn't Guarantee Return Trip For Mother If She Accompanied Him

Andy Gates planned to fly to Wisconsin last week from Jacksonville, FL. He booked a flight on US Airways -- as he's done in the past -- went to the airport, checked his baggage, went through security, and waited to board like everyone else.

Just as he was preparing to board the aircraft June 6, gate agents informed him he could not board. They had determined he could not travel by himself, according to WKMG Orlando Channel 6.

"We went to the gate and they told me I could not fly... not alone," Gates said.

Gates has dystonia -- a neuro-muscular disease -- and is confined to a wheelchair.

"They said I was too disabled to fly alone. I don't have enough words to describe how angry I am." He said he felt outraged and discriminated against.

The airline manager told him he could fly if his mother, Patsy Gates, went with him.

"He says to me, 'You have six minutes to make a decision on whether to go. You can go with him or he cannot go. You have six minutes,'" she said. "Meanwhile, I am parked in a 30 minutes parking zone, and I'm having surgery tomorrow, and they did not guarantee me a way back."

Gates doesn't understand the furor -- as he's flown seven times in the past alone, even on US Airways... and hasn't had a problem.

"I have a college degree. I am completely intelligent. I can make my own decisions. I don't know why I was denied," Gates said.

The day after the incident, US Airways issued a statement that said, "US Airways personnel determined that (Gates) would not be able to assist in his own evacuation in the event of an emergency. We feel that our employees acted appropriately and followed both company and federal policy in this situation."

There is a law that says if a person has mobility impairments so severe they would not be able to assist with an evacuation, they can be denied travel. However, Gates said he could control his legs and arms enough to get into his chair, and he offered to demonstrate that to the airline.

The carrier said it would issue a refund, but it would take some time.

Gates hopes to catch a flight this weekend... on a different airline.

I support the gate agents. It's unfortunate the passenger has this handicap, however rules are rules. If the plane went down and he wasn't able to move fast enough to the exit because he was traveling alone, the family would come back to sue the airline. Just because he's flown on US in the past doesn't make it right either...

Well let's see how the nearly certain to be forthcoming lawsuit plays out.

Tough call. I'm not prepared to second guess the G/A's, however this is bad PR when US needs way way less of that.

As for flying in the past, that does set a pretty strong precedence. Could make the new management look bad.

The man in question will end up demonstrating to the judge and jury that he can move about sufficiently with his arms and legs as he says he can (and offered to demonstrate to the agents.) Once that is done, USAirways will pay out BIG TIME.

Or, Tempe will realize that the agents may have misjudged the situation, and settle out of court quietly. The operative word is QUIETLY.

As for flying in the past, that does set a pretty strong precedence. Could make the new management look bad.

I saw the original story on the local news here last week. My sense is that this gentleman is not able to move in any manner other than with great effort at a very slow speed. Any chance for a timely evacuation is nil. That being said, I have seen other passengers on several airlines that have been almost as incapacitated.

The gate agents in Jacksonville, with few exceptions, are excellent. They are fairly laid back about stuff. The only thing that I have seen throw them for a loop was when someone arrived at the gate approx 15 minutes before departure in a motorized wheelchair and had not made arrangements for transportation of this large item. Getting it downstairs on the elevator required staff and a change in the baggage belt to load.

Regarding the precedent of prior flights on US Airways, there is no indication as to whether the passengers' condition has deteriorated since his previous travel.

The thugs running US Airways are going to lose in this case, and they deserve it.

Bullying the disabled is really low... :down:

The thugs running US Airways are going to lose in this case, and they deserve it.

His mother would not have to purchase a ticket to fly with him. Very disabled people can ask for someone to fly with them at no cost to the person who assists.
The other thing that would have helped is if someone flying non-rev would have stepped up and offered to help by sitting next to the guy. I've done it.

If you're blind you can fly, if you're deaf you can fly, if you can't speak or speak the language you can fly, if you're diabetic you can fly, if you're mentally retarted you can fly. I could go on and on. How many of you have seen people with handicaps fly? Isn't there a rule about being able to fly if you can manage your own personal needs? Hey I'll throw this one out to you---how many of you have boarded people with known dementia?? I know the spelling is probably wrong, but how about the other "old" disease? How many of you have helped find confused and lost older people in the airports??
I really think this guy has a case.

sky high states: Your statement is really.....incorrect.

USAirways may REQUIRE an attendant for a passenger with severe mobility impairments(TO THE EXTENT THAT THE PERSON IS UNABLE TO ASSIST IN THEIR OWN EVACUATION OF THE AIRCRAFT).
The Pilot in command may propose to EXCLUDE a passenger with a disability from a flight on the basis of SAFETY.
These are in accordance with DOT RULES and Federal Aviation Regulations.

Now, ARGUE THOSE POINTS!!!

only stating opinions

sky high states: Your statement is really.....incorrect.

USAirways may REQUIRE an attendant for a passenger with severe mobility impairments(TO THE EXTENT THAT THE PERSON IS UNABLE TO ASSIST IN THEIR OWN EVACUATION OF THE AIRCRAFT).
The Pilot in command may propose to EXCLUDE a passenger with a disability from a flight on the basis of SAFETY.
These are in accordance with DOT RULES and Federal Aviation Regulations.

Now, ARGUE THOSE POINTS!!!
only stating opinions

Can you read? He was willing to demonstrate his ability to move. They didn't care.

Pilots have a lot of power, but it's not unlimited. The Captain can't exclude a passenger on the basis of a disability, using "safety" as a convenient excuse.

By the way, it wasn't the pilot who refused transportation to the man, it was the gate agent, making your argument is extra useless.

I say from personal experience, if you werent there, you dont know what happened, how accurate the guys info is or what he is able to do (hes talking to the press, gotta make it exciting and newsworthy). I'm not saying he isnt capable of doing what he claims, but some of you on here are ready to condemn and execute without all the details. Reminds me of a similar case in my station that some were ready to do the same. Turns out, we were right in that case.

Can you read? He was willing to demonstrate his ability to move. They didn't care.

Pilots have a lot of power, but it's not unlimited. The Captain can't exclude a passenger on the basis of a disability, using "safety" as a convenient excuse.

By the way, it wasn't the pilot who refused transportation to the man, it was the gate agent, making your argument is extra useless.

You are SOOOO correct. I am sick and tired of bitter agents...East AND West...who hate their jobs and have NOTHING left but their personal power trip. I can see it right now..Overworked, underpaid...let's stick it to the lowly disabled person. AND, the assist thing is BUULLSHHit!! NO disabled person could ASSIST in an evacuation. So let's stop passsage for old people and children. THEY can't assist in THEIR own evacuation anymore than this man yet he illustrated he could.

Let me tell you...If your ass is on fire after a crash, your will and adreline will haul your ass off the airplane. TRUST ME!!

This agent should be FIRED and I hope US Airways is fined millions They have CLEARLY broken the terms of the passenger with disabilities act.

The pilot isnt going to come out to the customer and say "I've decided you cant go", thats the gate agents/sup job to ADVISE the customer, but I can guarantee you that the crew and possibly corporate were involved in the decision. It isnt normally something that the agents decide on their own (except for intoxicated people) to deny boarding for any medical reason.
How many decisions of this type have you been involved in? Do you know what the company procedure is?
And a pilot can determine to refuse transport if there is an issue with safety.

I support the gate agents. It's unfortunate the passenger has this handicap, however rules are rules. If the plane went down and he wasn't able to move fast enough to the exit because he was traveling alone, the family would come back to sue the airline. Just because he's flown on US in the past doesn't make it right either...

As someone who actually works on the airplane, may I suggest to you that if we are going to deny passengers on who we PERCEIVE would be to slow getting off the airplane in the event of an evacuation, we woould need to eliminate the following:

Any wheelchair passenger
The mentally challenged
Anyone with a broken leg
Any elderly passenger over 70
Babies
Children 10 and under

None of the above could move fast enough and would INDEED hamper the 90 seconds required to evacuate an airplane.

Perhaps the above should ALSO be scrutinized as to whether they can get off the airplane in an effective amount of time.

GEEZ!! :down:

Sometimes you lose when you make what seems to be the "right" decision. This was definitely one of those times, and side stepping the bad press would have been well worth it. Short term smart, long term stupid.