US Airways Tells Man He Is 'Too Disabled' To Fly Alone

Well it does not really matter what you all think on the subject of Usairways paying out big time for this.
The company is required to provide in writing to the customer why they took that action and if the DOT agrees with the airlines renders all this moot.

The only problem with this is that it should have been done at check in at the ticket counter and not at the gate.
Cause the ticket counter should have seen the problem and maybe enough time would have been made to find a solution without the dumb media circus

Each station has a CRO, Compaint Resolution Officer and he and/or she is trained on US Department of Transportation, 14 CFR Part 382 Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disabilit in Air Travel. The purpose of this part is to implement the AIR CARRIER ACCESS ACT of 1966 (49 U.S.C. 41705)
And this makes you a person of authority

You folks do not see the point.

1. disabled passengers do fly everyday, but they fly
with their family that can assit them.
2. I think You folks need to read the DOT rules,to see how wrong you folks are, if you have not worked at the gates or counter you have no room to talk because your just spreading BS...Listen I will blame the company when they make stupid mistakes, but this one the gate agent
asked the family to travel with him and she could not, so In my opinion the agent made the right decision.

All you us bashers move on......You don't know the rules

You folks do not see the point.

2. I think You folks need to read the DOT rules,to see how wrong you folks are, if you have not worked at the gates or counter you have no room to talk because your just spreading BS...Listen I will blame the company when they make stupid mistakes, but this one the gate agent
asked the family to travel with him and she could not, so In my opinion the agent made the right decision.

All you us bashers move on......You don't know the rules
Again IF THE PASSENGER CAN COMMUNICATE THEY TRAVEL. Been down this road numerous times AS A GATE AGENT. Of course it the Captain/crew wants to denied the boarding that it he/she deal at that point.

COMMUNICATE?
Tell me how he's going to communicate his ass off the aircraft if he is not strong enough to get out of his seat and LIFT his lifeless body down the aisle? Not all wheelchair passengers have strength in their arms to do this.
And, bother way, the article says a MANAGER was involved, not just the gate agents.

only stating opinions

COMMUNICATE?
Tell me how he's going to communicate his ass off the aircraft if he is not strong enough to get out of his seat and LIFT his lifeless body down the aisle? Not all wheelchair passengers have strength in their arms to do this.
And, bother way, the article says a MANAGER was involved, not just the gate agents.
only stating opinions
So a paraplegic with very little arm movement unable to lift there self at all should be denied boarding. You guys have no clue .

Oh, so you're the one who assigns all the quadriplegics who communicate so well in the exit rows?
Thank-you so much!!!
No the kiosk does

So a paraplegic with very little arm movement unable to lift there self at all should be denied boarding. You guys have no clue .
No disrespect meant to you or the passenger, but a companion is required by the FAA and by common sense. We have 90 seconds to evacuate an aircraft to ensure the maximum survivability rate. This is why we do our safety demos, have only able-bodied passengers in the exit rows, and do all the other FAA mandated duties. We can not endanger or impede the timely egress of the other passengers.

companion is required by the FAA
So as an A/lead/ #1 flight attendant you will deny all paraplegics boarding? Are you serious? Agents do carryon/offs on a regular basis are you even involve in the boarding process at an airline.

Agents do carryon/offs on a regular basis are you even involve in the boarding process at an airline.

But are those passengers you describe travelling with family or someone who is acting as an assistant?

If you're blind you can fly, if you're deaf you can fly, if you can't speak or speak the language you can fly, if you're diabetic you can fly, if you're mentally retarted you can fly. I could go on and on. How many of you have seen people with handicaps fly? Isn't there a rule about being able to fly if you can manage your own personal needs? Hey I'll throw this one out to you---how many of you have boarded people with known dementia?? I know the spelling is probably wrong, but how about the other "old" disease? How many of you have helped find confused and lost older people in the airports??
I really think this guy has a case.
Problem is, if he can't support himself and is totaly confined to a wheelchair, who is to help him/her in the bathroom? All of the examples you provide do not reflect his situation. And evidently, you haven't been involved in that situation, like I have, on the aircraft. As for you thinking this guy has a case, you most likely won't be called to testify, were maybe a qualified gate agent or a qualified crewmember might be. Sit back and keep thinking. Sorry, just read that you are a 31 yr gate agent. Qualified, well, that is another matter. Carry-on/off is totally diferent than putting someone in a lavatory, helping them with their pants, and so forht. That is why they must have an assistant. You should know that.

But are those passengers you describe travelling with family or someone who is acting as an assistant?

You know, for all my anger at our dysfunctional company, it was me, three years ago, that carried a person dying of AIDS off an airplane in AMS, because no one would touch him. Even a CLT gay guy wouldn't come close.

The "bubba" girls were whacked out about it, their ignorance speaks volumes. #### them. Sorry if I offended your pissed poor world view. You too, Richard.

It is our society that is so screwed up. Thanks to the southern baptists and many so-called "Christian" groups.

You want something to differentiate ourselves from others? How about starting with caring for our charges? For each and every leg, we owe them every consideration, notwithstanding the price they paid. It is our charge and may we melt to nothingness if we cannot even understand that.

Right or wrong this is a bad PR move on the part of USAir. You just don't do this!

YES YOU DO!!!!!

You obviously don't understand. If we have an accident the pax cannot assist himself with getting out safely.

F/As are NOT personal care givers. They need to help evacuate an entire aircraft of passengers and CANNOT provide him undivided help.

It is unfortunate, but as stated the FAA sets the rules.

You people are ridiculious......everything that US does is BAD in your eyes.

I hope this gentlemen gets where he needs to go SAFELY!!!

Latest posts