Us Airways To Hold Recruiting Open House

"A great place to start an aviation career".

Think I will pass on this great opportunity, but maybe some of the furloughees would be interested.

$9.59 and hour for a career in aviation. That is funny. How can $9.59 be a career in anything? Besides I thought that U did not want those jobs to be career jobs.

pitguy said:
$9.59 and hour for a career in aviation. That is funny. How can $9.59 be a career in anything? Besides I thought that U did not want those jobs to be career jobs.
[post="251600"][/post]​

Someone needs to explain to me why a NON-COLLEGE DEGREE job should be overpaid? I'll always remember my very first paying job after graduating college and 1 of the best radiology technology programs in the city of Pittsburgh and getting paid $6.63 an hour.

It's part time work on top of it. I think there are a lot of college students or people that might need a 2nd job that would be happy to make $9.59 since the federal minimum wage is half that.

And you're correct Pitguy.....it's a job, not a career. I motivated myself to further my career and it's paying off now. No one should think that customer service is a career anyway, it's a job.

trvlr64 said:
I think there are a lot of college students or people that might need a 2nd job that would be happy to make $9.59 since the federal minimum wage is half that.
[post="251611"][/post]​

Apparently most of the folks that show up at these sessions disagree with you. Otherwise US wouldn't have raised the pay or need to keep holding these things in an attempt to find enough people to fill the shortages.....

Jim

BoeingBoy said:
Apparently most of the folks that show up at these sessions disagree with you. Otherwise US wouldn't have raised the pay or need to keep holding these things in an attempt to find enough people to fill the shortages.....

Jim
[post="251613"][/post]​

Granted US may have raised the salary because they tried to go cheap to begin with, but not everyone is cut out for these types of jobs either. Just because you think you can handle working with the public on a daily basis doesn't necessarily mean you are meant to work with the public. So the need to have more sessions is the need to find qualified people who can and are willing to do this type of work.

trvlr64 said:
I think there are a lot of college students or people that might need a 2nd job that would be happy to make $9.59 since the federal minimum wage is half that.
[post="251611"][/post]​

trvlr64 said:
So the need to have more sessions is the need to find qualified people who can and are willing to do this type of work.
[post="251627"][/post]​

Well, either there's "a lot" or people or there aren't. Continuing to hold the sessions tells me there aren't enough, but that's me.....

Jim

trvlr64 said:
Someone needs to explain to me why a NON-COLLEGE DEGREE job should be overpaid?  I'll always remember my very first paying job after graduating college and 1 of the best radiology technology programs in the city of Pittsburgh and getting paid $6.63 an hour. 

It's part time work on top of it.  I think there are a lot of college students or people that might need a 2nd job that would be happy to make $9.59 since the federal minimum wage is half that.

And you're correct Pitguy.....it's a job, not a career.  I motivated myself to further my career and it's paying off now.  No one should think that customer service is a career anyway, it's a job.
[post="251611"][/post]​

Yea, but $6.63 an hour was pretty good money in 1935.

$18k a year for a full time job in a high cost of living city is peanuts.

This is another case where El Presidente will claim that there's not enough "Merican workers to fill the job and we need to open the southern border to desparate and cheap immigrant labor.

Interestingly, PI started part time agents at $6 in 1981, and the carrier was very profitable.

I suspect $6 then bought you a lot more than $9 now.

If you're asking if today's ticket prices are about 25% below what their inflation adjusted price should be, I'd guess they're lower (at least at the bottom end). Not everywhere, mind you. I still remember the $19 O/W ORF-EWR fares and I think it was as low as $29 O/W GSO-EWR in the People Express days.....

Jim

Latest posts

Back