Us Airways To Hold Recruiting Open House

trvlr64 said:
Someone needs to explain to me why a NON-COLLEGE DEGREE job should be overpaid? I'll always remember my very first paying job after graduating college and 1 of the best radiology technology programs in the city of Pittsburgh and getting paid $6.63 an hour.

It's part time work on top of it. I think there are a lot of college students or people that might need a 2nd job that would be happy to make $9.59 since the federal minimum wage is half that.

And you're correct Pitguy.....it's a job, not a career. I motivated myself to further my career and it's paying off now. No one should think that customer service is a career anyway, it's a job.
[post="251611"][/post]​

Odds are good your plumber doesn't have a BS, and he's doing better than $9.

It's the easy way out to suggest agents are just bag mashers, and deserve little compensation. The fact is, bag mashing is just one aspect of an agent's responsibilities. In the out-stations, it is commonplace for the operations agent (coordinate w&b info, communications with dispatch, flight, gate, tower,etc.) to also deice, airstart, load and push the bird. And since management is never around when real work is nearby, excercise the judgement to spread insufficient resources around to optimize a safe, on-time operation.

Moreover, since we worship at the altar of the marketplace, WN (the only consistently profitable airline over the past decade) pays their topped out bag mashers $25.

Obviously, I made my point poorly.

1. The marketplace is declaring WN to be the most successful airline of the past decade.

2. WN pays uneducated, topped out bag mashers $25, with a nice bennie package to go with it.

Therefore, it is illogical to state that the market is dictating the terms of employment for bag-mashers at U.

It is more logical to argue that a failed business plan is dictating said terms.

And while a BS is almost a requirement to make decent $$, it is not always the case.

In my life, I have been amazed at the rage/jealousy/whatever that some who hold a BS/BA have against a yeoman making a good living. What's up with that?

diogenes said:
In my life, I have been amazed at the rage/jealousy/whatever that some who hold a BS/BA have against a yeoman making a good living. What's up with that?
[post="252200"][/post]​

Me to, I guess after all that schooling they think they somehow deserve more then someone with less.

Latest posts

Back