US Airways - UA

United4Me

May 12, 2006
Each time I have flown to the US, we have always used UA.

However, due to the price I have the choice for our next trip with either UA or US Airways.

I’m flying London – New York, UA direct or US Airways via a connection, connecting is not a problem.

Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between these two airlines?

Given the choice, which one of the two airlines would you choose, and why.

Thanks in advance

Dave

United has a more elaborate service.

Serious question. WHY would you want to have a connection when you could fly direct? You do realize that you must clear customs at the first port of entry in the US. Therefore, you must claim your luggage, go through customs, re-check your luggage, and go back through security to continue on your journey. I wouldn't care who I was flying if I could fly direct.

Serious question. WHY would you want to have a connection when you could fly direct?

There is a price difference of £150.00 pp.

US Airways being the lowesr fare.

There is a price difference of £150.00 pp.

US Airways being the lowesr fare.

Weigh the price, then weigh the inconvienence...also consider anytime you add an extra leg (connection) your chances are doubled you will experience problems.

Each time I have flown to the US, we have always used UA.

However, due to the price I have the choice for our next trip with either UA or US Airways.

I’m flying London – New York, UA direct or US Airways via a connection, connecting is not a problem.

Can anyone tell me if there is a big difference between these two airlines?

Given the choice, which one of the two airlines would you choose, and why.

Thanks in advance

Dave
US Airways is nicer.

but in all honesty, even if all you know what breaks lose, NYC is not that far from PHL.

I presume that no carrier in the LON-NYC market has a comparable fare to US on a nonstop for your travel dates?

I assume the departure airport makes no difference since UA is LHR and US is LGW. As far as the difference in service and seating, if you are flying in Business Class, UA is typically rated higher than US on that route, If you are in Economy (which you obviously are), it really makes little difference, especially since US uses the 330 - which is a nice aircraft. You obviously are connecting through Charlotte or Philadelphia for a flight to LGA. An advantage of PHL is that in the unlikely event your connecting flight to LGA is cancelled, delayed or missed you can easily take a train directly from the airport in Philadelphia to Manhattan, via an easy connection in the City Center main terminal. PHL, contrary to the unhelpful and immature comment from someone here, is a large international airport and that occasionally makes it somewhat time consuming to clear immigration/customs and to navigate to domestic connections, when compared to CLT. If I were saving the amount which you indicate, I'd surely opt for US in this case and unless you are familiar with PHL or an adventurous traveler, I'd probably connect through CLT as long as the connecting schedules were satisfactory.

If you like to enjoy a drink for no charge in economy, go with United. If you want a direct flight without connecting hassles, go with United. If you enjoy really nice inflight service, go with United. If the fare is the biggest concern for you, then go with US Airways.

May I thank you all for the positive comments posted.

We have decided to fly US, the cost being the main reason, saving over £300.00 for 2 adults.

Once again, the advice offered has been appreciated.

We have decided to fly US, the cost being the main reason, saving over £300.00 for 2 adults.

United4Me,

I hope you come back here after your trip and let us know you opinion of your USAirways experience.

The Watcher,

Last time I was on UA a couple months ago, Hemisphere, said everywhere in the world, except Japan, there was a $5 charge for alcohol in coach. Might have changed, but doubt it. I expect Japan to change soon as well. NW started charging earlier this year, AA then followed, UA is probably next.

Let us all know how it turns out!!!!!!