US Airways will assume American in name

What does that eagle have in it's talons? Oh, yes, I see it. It's USAPA. No, wait, it's Philadelphia, yep.

USAirways - The Global Carrion of Choice!!

What does that eagle have in it's talons? Oh, yes, I see it. It's USAPA. No, wait, it's Philadelphia, yep.

USAirways - The Global Carrion of Choice!!

I would think it was Phx given Phx doesn't know what kind of aircraft that is

Would it be possible to strip the paint from the US Airbus, polish the skin and then clear-coat them? Of course, getting the clear-coat to adhere to a highly polished surface may be impossible.

At one time… chemical etching was used prior to applying paint… making it difficult, and costly to go back to bare metal. This was an issue on the F-28’s from PI in that merger and livery change. I’m not 100% sure if they still do this on A/C today though…

Reactions: 1 person
make up another one please... pretty please????
This any better?

usaa2.jpg

I dont believe that the AB can be stripped. Looking back the AA & EA A300s were even painted.

Actually dont you remember the silver bullet F28s?

I believe it was 453US.

453US

Another

Those Silver Bullets were F-100s and were new orders from USAir. They were ordered with Alclad, hence the bare skin. I don't know if it's true, but I heard the story that when PIT got the first of Piedmont's F-28-1000s in their hanger to be modified to USAir configurations, they stripped the paint and polished the airframe. I am told it looked really nice. When the Fokker factory got wind of it, they immediately told them that, in the eyes of the factory, the airplane was no longer airworthy since it did not have the paint required by the Type Certificate specifications. Needless to say, the shine was gone very quickly and covered by light gray paint.

Had they operated that airplane in that condition, the corrosion would have had that shine gone in a week, replaced with splotchy black corrosion.

Those Silver Bullets were F-100s and were new orders from USAir. They were ordered with Alclad, hence the bare skin. I don't know if it's true, but I heard the story that when PIT got the first of Piedmont's F-28-1000s in their hanger to be modified to USAir configurations, they stripped the paint and polished the airframe. I am told it looked really nice. When the Fokker factory got wind of it, they immediately told them that, in the eyes of the factory, the airplane was no longer airworthy since it did not have the paint required by the Type Certificate specifications. Needless to say, the shine was gone very quickly and covered by light gray paint.

Had they operated that airplane in that condition, the corrosion would have had that shine gone in a week, replaced with splotchy black corrosion.

I guess it was actually Piedmont that found out the hard way that F-28s can't stay like that. I never saw that airplane in operation. I doubt it stayed that way very long. Any idea what year that pic was taken? Ther must be more of a story to that.

I can't imagine why Piedmont would have done that work stripping an F-28. Piedmont did not have a polished metal livery, at least not since I first became familiar with the carrier in the 1960s.

I guess it was actually Piedmont that found out the hard way that F-28s can't stay like that. I never saw that airplane in operation. I doubt it stayed that way very long. Any idea what year that pic was taken? Ther must be more of a story to that.

I can't imagine why Piedmont would have done that work stripping an F-28. Piedmont did not have a polished metal livery, at least not since I first became familiar with the carrier in the 1960s.

Looking at Airliners.net , it appears the Pics are from 1990

How can you be so clueless. Look at the pics - those are F28's, not F-100's. They were stripped as part of the US/PI merger when the PI livery was removed and the "interim" livery applied. Just another US screwup...they always thought they knew more than anyone else :lol:

Jim

Reactions: 2 people
Jim, to the best of my knowledge, only one F28 was stripped. It was 453, and the rest were painted a light gray.

Wow, you cant tell which plane it is?

453US was an F28-1000, not an F100!

Piedmont NEVER flew the F100!

Latest posts