US Airways will assume American in name

Hmm. There was no Piedmont in 1990.

I only looked at the USAir Livery. Airliners.net shows the Piedmont Livery as April 1989.

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Piedmont-Airlines/Fokker-F-28-1000-Fellowship/1007171/&sid=07ef77f475eebf23378040921bea2387

Clearly these pics were taken after the Merger, because the Tail Numbers was changed. PI operated the F-28 as tail numbers N275N up to 300 and the Empire birds were N110UR -125 I think, then USAir changed them because the 737-200's were 200 tail numbers.

The F-28 is nothing more than a speed brake with a control surface attached. We used to say - and it was true - if you can see the runway, you can land on it.

Cleary states April 1989 when the picture was taken, the merger wasnt completed till August 5, 1989.

US all ready begun the process of livery and N# changes before the merger was completed.

Reactions: 1 person
I dont believe that the AB can be stripped. Looking back the AA & EA A300s were even painted.
For the first few years, AA's AB6 fleet was painted gray, but eventually, AA stripped the paint and polished its AB6s. Airliners.net has photos of painted AA AB6s and photos of polished AA AB6s.

Of course, just like on the Boeings today, the composite surfaces remained painted.

This any better?

usaa2.jpg

That really is not too shabby looking.....

That really is not too shabby looking.....
Yeah I imagine once they put the professionals to it it'd look pretty swell. One would think that by repainting only the name and logo it'd save a lot of money and time, especially over 340 craft. Does anyone know if there are any blue-top ML aircraft yet to paint? I haven't seen any in a while.

I also wonder what they'd do to the heritage/NFL/*A planes.

For the metal parts it should be possible, but you lose the advantage of less weight that comes with not painting. I would assume AA has looked at the pros and cons and deciding polishing is cheaper overall.
There's a Boeing document from more than a decade ago that examined the pros and cons of paint v polish and at the time, the results were inconclusive. Since then, fuel prices have more than quintupled and, unfortunately for labor, AA's maintenance wages have been stagnant. So paint (requiring extra fuel to carry) has to be the expensive option now, unless the aircraft polishers see large payraises.

For composit parts, it's the UV that requires paint - the composites don't do well when exposed. So presumably a clear coat wouldn't work and would look awful anyway.
That explains all the battleship gray paint on wings and control surfaces now, right? AA's 727s had more shiny surface area than today's partial-plastic planes. The vertical stab and rudder were even shiny.

At some point AA is going to have to decide what to do with composite airframes like the 787. Leaving them unpainted is out of the question.
Someone recently posted a rumour on Flyertalk that Boeing was developing a chrome-colored paint for AA's 787s. If it looks good, perhaps it could replace the flat gray paint in use now on the composite surfaces of the rest of the fleet. Here's a car that appears to be chrome-plated:

justin-bieber-fisker-karma-violation.jpg

There is a huge difference between an A/C that came without paint from the factory vs one that was stripped. I remember how bad most of the former PI A/C looked after being stripped of their paint following the merger with US. The 737-200's were horrible looking, especially since they had numerous skin repairs over the years.

Reactions: 1 person
Jim, to the best of my knowledge, only one F28 was stripped. It was 453, and the rest were painted a light gray.
Frankly I don't remember the number, nor did I pay enough attention to 700's pics to read the tail numbers but it's was only 1 or 2.

Jim

OMG, that is ugly beyond description. AA's current livery is perfect. AA has always been a class act. LEAVE IT ALONE!
That's only one possible solution for what they could do with the US fleet if there is a merger and bare metal is not an option. Not suggesting all of them should look like this.