Us Airways Workers Think Merger

jB-Rocks

Jan 20, 2004
US Airways workers think merger with America West will happen
Many US Airways workers think a merger with America West is inevitable. US Airways recently filed court papers asking for permission to offer some workers incentives to stay with the company "during negotiations over a strategic transaction." A US Airways spokesman declined to comment on the possible merger. The Charlotte Observer (N.C.) (free registration) (5/11), Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

See Story
See Story

My friend that works for America West recently told me that U's and AW"s unions are talking about how they are going to combine the F/A's seniority. I have a feeling that anyone who was involuntary furloughed from U, (MAA) F/A's will get screwed. If they do what they have been talking about. They are talking about doing a 1 for 2 or something like that, so if you have 20 years at AW you will have 40 when merged. So, to all those newly hired F/A's at AW, they will be senior to everyone that got layed off at U. There has to be something else they can do that this will not happen. Pitbul? Anyone? Is this fair to screw all the junior people again? :down:

xoxo said:
My friend that works for America West recently told me that U's and AW"s unions are talking about how they are going to combine the F/A's seniority. I have a feeling that anyone who was involuntary furloughed from U, (MAA) F/A's will get screwed. If they do what they have been talking about. They are talking about doing a 1 for 2 or something like that, so if you have 20 years at AW you will have 40 when merged. So, to all those newly hired F/A's at AW, they will be senior to everyone that got layed off at U. There has to be something else they can do that this will not happen. Pitbul? Anyone? Is this fair to screw all the junior people again? :down:
[post="268510"][/post]​

I don't think there have been any talks about merging the seniority lists. It is still a little premature. AFA on both sides would have to have an integration committee and there haven't been any announcements about that.

Let's all not jump to any conclusions and start unfounded rumors. AFA constitution and bylaws, AWA, and US all have date of hire clauses.

It is not a rumor. This friend knows the union people in Tempe, and they told my friend that they ARE talking about doing it that way. I would never come on here and start a rumor. That they have been in talks but, they are not getting to indepth with it as of now. But, they somehow think that AW is buying U. which that part I do not understand, but, that they should have the right to do it this way since their management may be managing U. I am just asking how this could be? Maybe my friend was not sapposed to leak the info about them talking, but they have no reason to make this up. This is a honest person, and they were just letting me know that this has been going on.

xoxo said:
It is not a rumor. This friend knows the union people in Tempe, and they told my friend that they ARE talking about doing it that way. I would never come on here and start a rumor. That they have been in talks but, they are not getting to indepth with it as of now. But, they somehow think that AW is buying U. which that part I do not understand, but, that they should have the right to do it this way since their management may be managing U. I am just asking how this could be? Maybe my friend was not sapposed to leak the info about them talking, but they have no reason to make this up. This is a honest person, and they were just letting me know that this has been going on.
[post="268522"][/post]​
lol....it must be true then

xoxo said:
It is not a rumor....
[post="268522"][/post]​

I for one tend to believe you (or your source), but would add just one thing - there's "talking" and there's talking.

I would expect that some "preliminary housekeeping" discussions are taking place - such as exchanging seniority lists. That would be perfectly normal once the talk of a merger surfaced, and would be a necessary prelude to holding discussions about how the seniority lists would be merged once any merger becomes official.

I doubt that there are any discussions between the sides about how to actually merge the lists - it's a little premature for that. That doesn't mean that there aren't discussions going on within each airline's unions about possible methods of integration, however (at least for those unions that don't have as iron-clad language as the AFA apparently does, but even they would go thru exchanging lists, etc).

Jim

xoxo said:
[post="268510"][/post]​

Language seems pretty clear to me. From AFA bylaws:

c. Within twenty (20) days following the meeting under Section C.3.b. above, the merger representatives will meet again and compile a merged seniority list. If all flight attendants on both seniority lists were subject to the same policy regarding seniority accrual for training days, the merged seniority list will be compiled based upon the seniority date of each flight attendant. In the event that this is not the case, the merger representatives will compile a merged seniority list based upon adjusted seniority date, the only adjustment to seniority date as defined in Section C.2.a. above, being reconciliation of differences in policies on the respective carriers relating to seniority accrual for training days so that each flight attendant on the merged seniority list receives credit for her/his training days. The merger representatives are empowered to compromise their differences over reconciliation of such training policies to the extent necessary to reach an agreement on a merged seniority list, provided that each flight attendant on the merged seniority list receives credit for her/his training days. In compiling the merged seniority list, whether by seniority date or adjusted seniority date, the relative position of the flight attendants on their respective seniority lists shall be maintained and the merger representatives shall not have the authority to alter the relative position of any flight attendant to others on her/his own list for any reason. For purposes of completing their functions, the merger representatives must list the names of all flight attendants in integrated order on a merged list.

I posted this back in April and it bears repeating:

AWA f/a's contract with the company states:

If the Company is the surviving carrier, the Company will integrate the two Flight Attendant groups in accordance with AFA Merger Policy if both groups are AFA-represented, and in accordance with Sections 3 and 13 of the Allegheny Mohawk LPP’s (Labor Protective Provisions) if Flight Attendants of the Company’s merger partner are not represented by AFA.
If the Company is not the surviving carrier, the Company will make reasonable efforts to have the surviving carrier integrate the two Flight Attendant groups in the same manner as stated in (a) of this Paragraph.

US f/a's contract states:

2. In the event the Company is merged with another airline whose flight attendants are represented by the Association, the flight attendant seniority lists shall be merged in accordance with the AFA merger policy.

Add that to AFA constitution and by laws and you get DOH!!!!!

Winglet said:
So, it looks like AW FAs get furloughed and U FAs are recalled?
[post="268555"][/post]​

That sounds like a recipe for a "stunning" combination, doesn't it? :D

FWAAA said:
That sounds like a recipe for a "stunning" combination, doesn't it? :D
[post="268562"][/post]​
No pre-TWA American employee has any room to talk on the subject!

Winglett said: So, it looks like AW FAs get furloughed and U FAs are recalled?

DCAflyer replies: Who said anything about furloughs and recalls. Why don't you go try to get your own house in order?

afa Look at afa bylaws and that will describe to you the way a merger with another afa carrier will happen. Anything else you hear is just rumor

Latest posts