Hp Workers Fear Us's Unions

Fly said:
I sure am glad we couldn't get our "act together". :up:
[post="270547"][/post]​
You are just like us but at least we have a date for the prom. When they fall they fall so hard.

28yrsnojob said:
AWA do yourself a favor and either buy up some assets or say away.
This management team at U will eat you up and then put both airlines
out of business.
[post="270544"][/post]​
There will be no asset sale at U but they might be able to get some UAL or Delta slots if things don't work out with this merger. also it will not be our management so as long as they trust in there own managment I say full speed ahead and don't look back because its gonna be a mess back there when this thing takes off and the other legacy carriers have no place to run. I get no pleasure out of seeing other carriers in trouble but you make it very difficult not to fight back with all these insults to a carrier I have worked very hard and given alot of my salary to keep flying

I disagree with DCAflyer.......This entire mess began in 1995 with Wolfe and Gangwal. They sold every single asset we had....gutted the entire company of assets hoping to sell to UA. They were too greedy and waited too long.
By the time of the dotcom disaster it was too late and everything fell apart
for the economy and our business. 911 added to the financial disaster.
Siegal didn't go far enough and his administration was full of lies.

I think Bronner and Lakefield are honest businessmen and are at least trying
to salvage the mess they came into. They still have a lot of staff left over
from Siegel's days. The last cuts were truly horrific for all the employees.
And it does seem unfair that we bear so much of the burden caused by
the inept management of the past. So many of these changes could
have begun in the 90s....with a gradual shift rather than the hard fall
we experienced.

I for one, am very enthused about the HP merger....because it appears
that Parker knows how to run a company profitably. Hopefully it will be a smooth
transition !

Us/boston said:
Give me a break! We at U do not look at AWA as a Sugar Daddy. Lets say this once and for all AWA is not buying U. It will be a holding Co that takes control of both carriers and eventualy merges them together. Nether U or AWA is going to go it alone in the airline business. U is going to merge with someone. AWA is going to merge with someone.

Unless you know something that has not been made public, you don't know this...

America West Airlines is already controlled by a holding company, America West Holdings Corp... US Airways, Inc (and Piedmont and PSA) is already held by a holding company called US Airways Group.

Since the structure of the deal has yet to be announced, you don't know whom is buying whom, or if it will be a true merger of equals.

Only one thing is certain at this point... America West can walk away from the deal and expect a reasonable future... For now... US Airways is likely to fail in the event this merger is not consumated... America West has all the leverage in this deal, in my opinion.

olivia said:
I disagree with DCAflyer.......This entire mess began in 1995 with Wolfe and Gangwal. They sold every single asset we had....gutted the entire company of assets hoping to sell to UA. They were too greedy and waited too long.
By the time of the dotcom disaster it was too late and everything fell apart
for the economy and our business. 911 added to the financial disaster.
Siegal didn't go far enough and his administration was full of lies.

I think Bronner and Lakefield are honest businessmen and are at least trying
to salvage the mess they came into. They still have a lot of staff left over
from Siegel's days. The last cuts were truly horrific for all the employees.
And it does seem unfair that we bear so much of the burden caused by
the inept management of the past. So many of these changes could
have begun in the 90s....with a gradual shift rather than the hard fall
we experienced.

I for one, am very enthused about the HP merger....because it appears
that Parker knows how to run a company profitably. Hopefully it will be a smooth
transition !
[post="270660"][/post]​

Actually, I guess I should have been clearer. I agree completely about WonfGangs' ineptness and greed... I was talking about the way emplyees were treated. WestCoastGuy commented about U management having no regard for its employees. That, in my opinion, falls squarely on Bronner's shoulders. I believe to this day that then Siegel came on the property, he had every intention of treating us fairly. Bronner was the one who, from day one, I believe felt he got in way over his head. Now mind you, I was extremely disappointed in the end because of his lies (which I believe he was doing at Bronner's behest), but the arrogance and dishonesty... that's all Bronner.

funguy2 said:

Only one thing is certain at this point... America West can walk away from the deal and expect a reasonable future... For now... US Airways is likely to fail in the event this merger is not consumated... America West has all the leverage in this deal, in my opinion.
[post="270664"][/post]​
A very correct observation. Savy

true, but if hp merges with u they have a sure bet in getting the assets. right ? if they do not and us fails , alot of of airlines especially wn will get u's assets. i think parker see's a very big opportunity here in that he takes control of the european flts the east coast and the carribean routes. therefore, having the opportunity to begin tranatlantic and maybe some carribean flts from phx. also some transpacific flts. the only problem we have here are the unions. if parker could get all of u's assets without the employees, i will bet you he would do that in a heart beat. but if you want all of u's assets then you get the employees as well. there my friend, is where this merger comes in play.

funguy2 said:

America West Airlines is already controlled by a holding company, America West Holdings Corp... US Airways, Inc (and Piedmont and PSA) is already held by a holding company called US Airways Group.

Since the structure of the deal has yet to be announced, you don't know whom is buying whom, or if it will be a true merger of equals.

[post="270664"][/post]​
True just working with information that is floating around. Most things on this board are speculation. Another carrier could come in at the last minute and mix things up like with ATA. I guess we will know soon enough.

28yrsnojob said:
AWA do yourself a favor and either buy up some assets or say away.
This management team at U will eat you up and then put both airlines
out of business.
[post="270544"][/post]​
Don't worry... they are all on their way to NWA to destroy what little stability is left.

Even if this goes through, you can bet that the financing will have very stiff interest due to the extreme risk involved. AW is nuts to take on this kind of albatross.

Us/boston said:
Give me a break! We at U do not look at AWA as a Sugar Daddy. Lets say this once and for all AWA is not buying U. It will be a holding Co that takes control of both carriers and eventualy merges them together. Nether U or AWA is going to go it alone in the airline business. U is going to merge with someone. AWA is going to merge with someone. Can you think of anyone that AWA could merge with this way besides U? If AWA is aquired by lets say AA do you think they will be better off. How about North West ? Do you think they will get date of hire there? U should be merging with UAL but It doesn't look like they can get there act together and we can't wait any longer. AWA is also a good choice and I am glad this is going to happen. To all the AWA employees I just want to say take a breath and take a wait and see. At least it will be your management running the show and looking out for you. In the Flight Attendant group we have always been fair about seniority. Peidmont,PSA got date of hire. When peidmont bought Empire they put them all on the bottom of the seniority list . When we bought Peidmont we took all the Empire F/As off the bottom and put them where they should have been at date of hire. When we merged the Trump shuttle they were given there Eastern Seinority because that is what Trump promised them when they took a chance on the Shuttle. We will work all this out. Our management may be a mess but our employees have always been hardworking survivors. It is going to be great to see what we can do together.
[post="270494"][/post]​

Date of Hire forget it!!! Maybe by percentages of seniority list! U is dying and without this deal companies will be buying the pieces. As you said "we cant wait any longer....why not?

PBRmeASAP said:
Date of Hire forget it!!! Maybe by percentages of seniority list! U is dying and without this deal companies will be buying the pieces. As you said "we cant wait any longer....why not?
[post="270743"][/post]​
We can't wait any longer because this industry is going to implode soon. We have already done what every carrier is going to have to do and it is time for us to put all this
behind us and move forward. Low cost domestic flights are the future for the US. AWA and U both know this. The employees at UAL are still talking about striking over whats already gone. AWA already has its costs in line. When this industry finaly implodes the new combined AWA and U will be in a good position to aquire what we need. So we need a strong partner with good management who knows what the future is and that partner should be AWA. Now I'm sure some of you are are thinking we will not be able to get the funds to aquire assets but if the financial community is willing to put up all this money to combine AWA and U you can bet there will be plenty of money for assets. U will not go out of business any time soon even if this merger does not take place. The government is helping to keep U in business to force industry change(for example the loan extention.)only time will tell what will happen but in the end I assure you there will be Cockroaches Cher and USAirways. And one more thing It will be date of hire. AFA same union=date of hire.

Us/boston said:
We can't wait any longer because this industry is going to implode soon.  We have already done what every carrier is going to have to do and it is time for us to put all this behind us and move forward. Low cost domestic flights are the future for the US.
[post="270754"][/post]​

Not at the expense of HP employees. Doug Parker has never lied to us and he said he will not hurt the employees who got HP to where it is.

Let's be really clear. I am not looking to better myself at the expense of US Airways employees, such as would happen with a staple job. But I am certain that my fellow employees do not want to pe pushed down in relative seniority either. I would not be surprised if a condition of the transaction is that everyone keeps their relative seniority in any merging of workforce lists. Otherwise, HP employees are bound to suffer, which Doug Parker has said won't happen.

IMO, if you folks want saving, you need to be nice to whomever is throwing you a life preserver or else it may not be thrown.

And you'd better have a fence a mile high when U aircraft and assets are eliminated, just like what happened to TWA. Hope for the best, but prepare for the worst. U's problems are deep and intractable. Throwing money at them isn't going to change much, except buy a few more months of losses.

Latest posts

Back