US biggest competitor Rebranding in May

EMBFA

Veteran
Mar 1, 2006
Delta is going to have an upgraded product when it comes out of bankrupcy... think US will do anything or continue its own "de-branding?"

"Delta Air Lines and its award-winning magazine Delta Sky are proud to introduce a SPECIAL MAY 2007 ISSUE that will coincide with the unveiling of the New Delta Air Lines.

Today's frequent travelers have made it known that they desire a return of amenities and true customer service from their airline. Over the past 18 months Delta Air Lines has made investments in every vital area of the customer experience, including:

- An award-winning Web site for ease of travel planning, ticketing and check-in
- State-of-the-art in-flight entertainment, with video on demand, music libraries, live TV and more
- Signature cocktails created by nightclub impresario Rande Gerber
- Gourmet meals from renowned chef Michelle Bernstein
- Award-winning airport lounges and upgraded terminals
- Expanded international routes and new nonstop domestic service

Delta Air Lines refers to these service enhancements as New Ideas Taking Flight, part of an ongoing effort that respects the travelers' time and changes the in-flight experience to "time found," when they can either work, relax, be entertained or simply have fun.

Delta Sky Magazine fulfills that role of entertainment and information, and the MAY ISSUE PROMISES TO BE A TRULY SPECIAL EDITION, TIMED WITH DELTA'S UNVEILING OF ITS NEW BRANDING and celebrating an age of rebirth. Sky will look at the theme of rebirth in all its aspects, from the amusing ("How many times has Madonna been reborn?") to the profound ("Where are the greatest pilgrimages that involve a personal rebirth?").

We invite you to join us in this historic moment in Delta Air Lines' growth, and ask that you please contact your Delta Sky representative for details. Join us in celebrating what the future of world-class travel will

After 5 years of Chairman's Preferred, including paying $860.90 a week for domestic travel into a tiny airport during this airline's bankruptcy, I'm probably switching to Delta. In the past 6 months I've experienced:

1 - Twice having to gate check my bag on an A320 into PHL because I was in FC. The PHL personnel were not told and were not expecting anyone on an A320 to have Express-style baggage check and we were very delayed making our connections.

2 - Numerous RJ flights that were late/delayed causing for stressful runs through PHL or CLT. Those flights are turned so quickly that any delay whatsoever seems to have absolutely no room for recovery. My experience here recently has been that many if not most of my RJ flights run 20-30 minutes late making for regularly stressful connections and regularly late and missed baggage.

3 - A goofy upgrade system that upgrades Golds and Silver, less loyal customers, ahead of me, a 5 year Chairman. a one-stop Flight CLT-SFO or CLT-SAN has fewer upgrade seats released than the first portion from CLT-PHX and I have twice spent 4 hours in coach when people whom I knew that were either gold or silver were upgraded because they were just doing CLT-PHX.

4 - The reduction in service amenities is ridiculous accompanied by the constant pimping of the Bank of America credit card, vomit bag advertisements, and now tray table advertisements. Soon we'll see the insides of the planes painted with billboards like the exterior of busses.

5 - The reduction of FC seats in the A320 and A321 not only makes upgrades harder (see #3) but apparently is going to cause more unscheduled service irregularities.

I'm sorry, guys, many of you personally do great jobs and have handled me extremely well, and all of this is out of your control and due to terrible senior management. I do believe that they will receive a Walmart stock bounce and some nice Excel spreadsheet numbers in an Excel-spreadsheet driven lack of creativity management culture, but that, in the long haul, the Excel spreadsheet driven mentality is going to catch up with this airline.

I am sorry to hear we will be losing such a loyal customer.

Tempe has made the decision that you are less relevant in the LCC business model. They choose to cram extra coach seats to gain certain incremental revenue.

It's all about money and at USAirways at least, customer satisfaction is ancillary.

Best of luck. The "New Delta" sounds good on paper, but will it make money and return them to profitability and their self annointed place as the "chosen" airline?

Delta IFE: Variety of movies, music, live TV

US Airways IFE: Counting lice bugs in the person in front of you's hair, or if youre in FC, watching a F/A in a skort put together a snack basket in the new no-privacy galley while getting a gentle head massage from someones coat hitting your head.

DL drinks: signature drinks from nightclub impressario

US drinks: wine in a party cup, yee-haw!

DL food: gourmet meals

US food: Cape Cod chips, leave room for a Biscoff!

US will kick ass.

Best of luck. The "New Delta" sounds good on paper, but will it make money and return them to profitability and their self annointed place as the "chosen" airline?

If management did their homework, it will. We used BK to reneogtiate all our bills, and employees' compensation, all the while upgrading aircraft interiors and airports. We're now compensating employees in a "new and innovative" way, all while offering more and keeping our costs under control. Sound familiar? Think "from worst to first" a.k.a. Continental Airlines.

Renegotiate?

The only people that DL renegotiated labor costs were the pilots, the rest of you are non-union and DL did as it pleased with you, and you never know they might be back for more, as they can change your conditions of employment anytime they choose.

JEEZ...700 you have got to be kidding. Lets see, after reading the IAM update the company is offering,

Pay: A 3% raise.

THIS does not even put them above what SCABS make at northwest.

Renegotiate?

The only people that DL renegotiated labor costs were the pilots, the rest of you are non-union and DL did as it pleased with you, and you never know they might be back for more, as they can change your conditions of employment anytime they choose.

You have your opinion-and are entitled to it. A union is not for me. For all those that have one, and want one, then that't great for them. I respect their opinions, just as I would hope they would respect mine.

Welcome to how the majority of the U.S. working population functions! And, companies can rarely "do as they choose". Sure, salaries can be cut at will, but people will start to leave for other companies if the company overdoes it. It's the beauty of the free market system.

Well back up your statement about DL renegotiating labor costs. (except the pilots)

Funny thing is I did not see one iota about the CSA, Ramp, FAs and any other non-union group negotiating with DL management on labor costs.

Ironic that DL outsourced numerous ramp functions across the system, did fleet negotiate that?

Or when DL downsize DFW, laid off hundreds of mechanics and closed the mtc hangar, did DL Management negotiate with the AMTs over that?

Well back up your statement about DL renegotiating labor costs. (except the pilots)

Funny thing is I did not see one iota about the CSA, Ramp, FAs and any other non-union group negotiating with DL management on labor costs.

Ironic that DL outsourced numerous ramp functions across the system, did fleet negotiate that?

Or when DL downsize DFW, laid off hundreds of mechanics and closed the mtc hangar, did DL Management negotiate with the AMTs over that?

Why should they? Management shouldn't have to negotiate with employees when tough decisions need to be made.

Latest posts