Us Chooses Shares For Computer System

The feedback strategy tadjr describes is long overdue. For better and for worse, it is mostly a Windows world, so that function is great, too. Folks won't have turn learn a new navigation skills set on the job.

Thumbs up to management for making this call.

With regards to operations, US had a sweet computerized w&b prior to CLP and SABRE. Perhaps something similiar could be revistited?

No offense to CLP, but it was just one more layer of bureaucracy that an on-time operation does not need. Plus, the lack of real-world aircraft loading experience was all too frequently apparent.

Put the responsibility back in the stations, where the crew, the gate and ops can get face-to-face to resolve issues.

It is my understanding that QIK is wonderful at the ticket counter. I have heard from users that the gate function of QIK is antiquated. I must say that SABRE gate functions work great. Anyone care to share their experience with QIK at the gate?

B)

crusher said:
Does SHARES have anything like Gate Manager. This program is one of the single shining lights of sabre. It would be nearly impossible to run the operation in a hub or focus city without it. The old pacer equivilant was the right system and it was not a good system . The larger cities use gate manager and staff manager. I can only hope shares has something like them or that we might continue to use them.
[post="311121"][/post]​

In PHX we do have Gate Manager (not sure about LAS) it does not have anything to do with Shares though - it auto-updates FLIFO and all of the FIDS so we dont have to manually do a gate change but they are seperate programs.

As for the W&B it is done through a program called Mapper and printed out in the jetway. The company is currently getting ready to implement automated W&B through ACARS like US Airways East currently uses.

As for Qik (which again is an overlay of SHARES) for gate functions. It is incredibily easy to use. We have automated oversells, which if you worked as a gt agent 5 years ago is alot faster than the paper and pencil method we used to use. Automated upgrades and things like changing seats, unseating pax, checking pbts, FLIFO even bag reroutes is done through a pop-up. The most antiquated part of QIK would be the seat reconciliation (PRSing) which even that we are moving to gate readers. With a little time and experience there isnt one thing that someone can do on native shares that I cant do on QIK.....

barbeetantrums said:
CO uses a centralized W&B located in Houston.

BTW, Shares isn't used for W&B, a seperate system called MAPPER is used.
[post="311159"][/post]​

Hey guys, get used to it...this the HP way, cheap cheap cheap...can't say it's always a bad thing, because that what this business has turned into. It's an adjustment period for those of you that have always spent money on equip, staff, etc...hp never had it to begin with, but 22 years later...still alive.

UWCactus said:
Hey guys, get used to it...this the HP way, cheap cheap cheap...can't say it's always a bad thing, because that what this business has turned into. It's an adjustment period for those of you that have always spent money on equip, staff, etc...hp never had it to begin with, but 22 years later...still alive.
[post="311656"][/post]​

What the fudge are you rambling on about?

UWCactus said:
It's an adjustment period for those of you that have always spent money on equip, staff, etc...
[post="311656"][/post]​

Did you say that with a straight face? :shock: I think we still have the same printers (Speedbird and all) from wayback when I started in 86. New equipment? hahahahahahaha :p
You funny guy. :lol: :lol:

tadjr said:
Did you say that with a straight face? :shock: I think we still have the same printers (Speedbird and all) from wayback when I started in 86. New equipment? hahahahahahaha :p
You funny guy. :lol: :lol:
[post="311662"][/post]​
We were using the Okidata printer that I first saw in 1980. And as long as it works, and can be repaired, it won't be replaced!

It is my understanding that QIK is wonderful at the ticket counter. I have heard from users that the gate function of QIK is antiquated. I must say that SABRE gate functions work great. Anyone care to share their experience with QIK at the gate?

B)
Just going over initial replies to SHARES! :down:

US Airways Chooses EDS/SHARES Reservations System

Today, US Airways announced that EDS/SHARES has been selected as the newly-combined company's reservations system. The EDS reservations system is currently used by America West Airlines and will be expanded throughout US Airways.

Why EDS/SHARES?
Joe Beery, chief information officer, explained that the EDS/Shares was selected due to many factors, including:
* It's user-friendly. An easy-to-use interface (QIK) was built and is maintained in-house (through America West Technologies). The user-friendly front end allows the airline to handle training in-house and reduces the time it takes to train new agents. In addition, passenger processing is faster through QIK, which makes passengers and customers happy, and ultimately helps the bottom line. Most importantly, QIK - through SHARES- sets our people up for success by providing a truly user-friendly tool for great customer service.

What should we expect during the transition?
The transition is expected to take between 12 and 15 months, allowing time not only for training, but also to standardize (and modernize) the equipment in the stations system wide. The transition plan is in the works and will include a training and deployment plan. Affected employees will receive training details as a schedule is determined.

Some synergy stations have started training and, by most accounts, US Airways employees are finding the transition from Sabre to SHARES to be favorable. As one employee in CLT said, "I will admit that I arrived here believing that SABRE is the better system. After one week I am convinced that I was wrong. The QIK front of SHARES is phenomenal. There is absolutely no typing of code. Everything is Windows 2000 pop-up driven. Reissues with the touch of a button. Timatic programmed to just type a city code into a box. Edit codes automatically append. It is slick."

Again, affected employees can look for more details to come as the transition progresses and as the training schedule is confirmed.

BWA HAAAAAA,HAAAAAAAAA,HAAAAAAAAAA!!!
Now that did'nt go very well now did it? :blink: