US cuts all PIT-Florida flights

UPNAWAY said "everyone". The lazy Gordon is hardly "everyone".

I think just about every Airline CEO during one of their qtr financial calls has made that statement over the last 20 years. I am sorry you haven't been following that side of the industry closely.

Well, it looks like they are trying to abandon the non-revenue producing leisure markets to concentrate on the high yield business markets. Oh, wait a minute, they abandoned them too with their new frequent flyer program, loss of first class seats, fees and everything else that others have complained about on here for the last few months. I guess the next question is who exactly does that leave as customers? :unsure:

Well, it looks like they are trying to abandon the non-revenue producing leisure markets to concentrate on the high yield business markets. Oh, wait a minute, they abandoned them too with their new frequent flyer program, loss of first class seats, fees and everything else that others have complained about on here for the last few months. I guess the next question is who exactly does that leave as customers? :unsure:

Cletus.

People flying to Charlotte, Philadelphia or Phoenix who aren't willing to change planes.

I have not heard a peep about this over the years. Would you please post some links about that?

Really?

This industry is known for stuff like that, maybe not US so much as others, but it's been a common practice. Examples off the top of my head:

-NW announcing DFW-LGA in an attempt to discourage AA from entering the MSP-LGA market

-AA's build-up at DAL

-You could prob add DL express, Metrojet, Song, etc. to the list as those operations can only be described as vain attempts to remain in the market

I'm sure you get the idea...

Will be interesting to follow how well, or how poorly, AirTran does.

While this may be an increase from the off-peak schedule, its really not any different than what FL had last winter -- in fact, TPA and RSW were daily last winter. FL loves to remove/change flights from it's schedule and then bring them back and announce it as "new"

As far as people not paying a higher fare? Baloney. They will. They want to go to Florida. They've already promised their overindulged, spoiled little brats that they will go see Mickey. Just like people who want to see an NFL game or a NASCAR race will pay the exorbitant price to do so (and then pay seven bucks for a beer).

The people who can afford to go to Florida will p. & m. like they're being persecuted, and write nasty letters to the newspaper, but they ultimately will pay what it costs to get there. And the people who can't afford it shouldn't be going anyway.

Ah, another post regarding your apparent grudge you hold against US for exiting the NE-FL market, shocking :shock:

You certainly have an interesting view of the FL market -- one that can not be found anywhere else and for a very good reason. You're essentially saying that the NE-FL market is analogous to the demand for gas in country, that it is price inelastic and an increase in price will have little or no impact on demand. Nevermind the fact that the number of people traveling via air from NE/NYC-FL has exploded over the past decade due to the infusion of low fare carriers, you argue that most/all of those people will be more than happy to pay double or triple what they did 3 years ago :huh:

All the legacies have realized that there is no money to be made in that market in today's environment. It's not just US -- DL and AA have both majorly scaled back/ended operations in the market too over the past several years. Now if prices go up considerably on the route, maybe they would consider reinstating it, but there would certainly be a big drop off in demand and a need for less flights in that case. Just look at the number of flights between NYC-FL in 1995 (before B6) and compare that to the number in 2005, or now. I bet the difference is astounding.

As to your question on why legacies even fly to FL, its because there still is some business demand and of course, they need at least a token presence to keep the FFrs happy...but gone are the days when the legacies care about taking every snowbird down there on a cheap ticket.

I think just about every Airline CEO during one of their qtr financial calls has made that statement over the last 20 years. I am sorry you haven't been following that side of the industry closely.
You said, "everyone". Admittedly, I don't have time to listen to every financial call (those are usually during work hours, right?) So, you have the company time to burn to listen to every Airline CEO, four times a year? Wow. Who covers for you?

I read the written reports whenever I have a spare moment. It allows me to chart my own course through the gibberish and not have to worry about having the speaker script the flow of information, whose sole interest is to "sell" you, the listener, more snake oil.

Really?

This industry is known for stuff like that, maybe not US so much as others, but it's been a common practice. Examples off the top of my head:

-NW announcing DFW-LGA in an attempt to discourage AA from entering the MSP-LGA market

-AA's build-up at DAL

-You could prob add DL express, Metrojet, Song, etc. to the list as those operations can only be described as vain attempts to remain in the market

I'm sure you get the idea...
I think you got off track there. How does that relate to what UPNAWAY said? "Everyone for years has complained about the airlines focus on Market share over profitable flying!"

I simply wanted links to his "Everyone... complained....".

I didn't see any "complaints" in what you posted.

That is what it is. They put more flights than profitable hoping others will give up and when they do not, they say they can't cut them back becuase they will loose market share! In most business I would want 0% of unprofitable business and 100% profitable. But for some strange reason that has not been the case becuase guys with Business Schooll MBA's said things like we can't lose "Market Share".

I don't now what else to tell ya.

I don't see why FL flights can't be profitable... I fly roundtrp to FL every week and I can't honestly tell you what I even pay? I look at schedule, and I buy the ticket. I know it is a "discounted" market, but there have to be plenty of us that would go anyway...

I normally fly US, but sometimes I take WN, DL, CO, and others. Like I said, schedule is most important to me.

Personally, WN has the most customer friendly policies for people like me. Walk up fares (which i do a lot) don't ever come with a tube of vaseline - and their refund/change policy is the best. WN must be profitable on these flights, or I can't imagine they would do them... Why cant US be profitable too?

I don't see why FL flights can't be profitable... I fly roundtrp to FL every week and I can't honestly tell you what I even pay? I look at schedule, and I buy the ticket. I know it is a "discounted" market, but there have to be plenty of us that would go anyway...

I normally fly US, but sometimes I take WN, DL, CO, and others. Like I said, schedule is most important to me.

Personally, WN has the most customer friendly policies for people like me. Walk up fares (which i do a lot) don't ever come with a tube of vaseline - and their refund/change policy is the best. WN must be profitable on these flights, or I can't imagine they would do them... Why cant US be profitable too?

You do know US is planning on cutting PHL to PBI 2x, DCA to PBI 2x, CLT will go 3x...All that capacity reduction by December for the next schedule.

(Edit) Oh and These are 737-300/737-400s except for 1x DCA E175 by Republic...How sad.

You do know US is planning on cutting PHL to PBI 2x, DCA to PBI 2x, CLT will go 3x...All that capacity reduction by December for the next schedule.

(Edit) Oh and These are 737-300/737-400s except for 1x DCA E175 by Republic...How sad.
Looks like the reduction already took place. I always take the 12 noon flight from PHL, and it looks like they kept that one. CO is doing 4 from EWR, and 757s too.

:(

Latest posts