US East to fly PHX-CUN

HP 757's some are ETOPS (Extended Operations) and one or two are simply EOW (extended overwater). The EOW a/c (914) can be used for Cancun, but not on distances without a suitable airport to land at within 180 minutes ie, Hawaii). Its complicated. There are no ETOPS nor EOW airbus a/c in the hp fleet. I imagine, that if there is an available East EOW airbus a/c in PHX to operate PHX-CUN during low season (now), they would use it. First, because it's available, second, because it's a smaller a/c during season with less demand. third, because it can shave off some flight time saving in fuel versus the HP airbus which would fly the original 4:45 block time or so hugging the Mexican coastline.

How far are we when we have to demo the life vests on the 737-300 or 737-400? What's the difference of having to or not?
1 - Less than 50nm off-shore = no demo
2 - Between 50 & 162 off-shore = demo

CLT-NAS is an example. Going to NAS we follow the same route we'd use to MIA until we get to VRB, the basically head toward NAS. At no time are we more than 50nm off-shore (either Fla or the island chain) so no life vest demo required.

Coming back, we basically head toward ILM on the AR routes till we're east of CHS, then turn to CHS and join the arrival to CLT. That puts us well over 50nm from land (at one point about 150nm, I think) so the demo is required.

Jim

Now here is one of those procedural differences that will need to be brought inline before integration.
Currently, if you are working, say PHXLAS, on a West ETOPs 757, you still need to perform the live safety demo with the life preserver.
The demo is always live on the ETOPs, only because they do not have a video for it yet. Everywhere it goes, the life preserver demo is performed.
You can imagine how much the FAs enjoy THAT.
And can you just hear the cracks from pax on the PHXLAS flt?

Yeah, that definately sounds kind of pointless. I'm sure that will change. Many are comming we all know.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - I don't sit in the back and watch the demo video much - but I believe all the East videos include the life vest demo.

Only a few 737's have the video system, so when the F/A's have to do it (nearly all the time) they omit the life vest portion if it's not needed (not meaning to imply that they're not conforming to procedure or anything).

Jim

At USeast on a/c that are not video equipped which would be most of the 737-300's and 400's we read the demo. The lifevest portion is to be read on every single flight because they "vests" are present. It's the same with the video. All of our a/c are equipped with lifevests so it's demo'd either in the video or live. Leaving that out of your announcements is a NO NO.

Desertgal is correct...there is no video demo for the "west" EOW a/c, therefore a "live demo" of the life vest donning must be performed on any leg of an EOW a/c. The demo was not updated due to the merger and some commonalities that will eventually make up a single demo.