US/NW Merger rumor?

US Airways/Northwest Airlines

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
I would say that an AA merger would look a lot better to the big whigs if UAL keeps expanding into their honey hole.

Don I would welcome you Real Mechanics from NWA with open arms, we need some Testosterone willing to send the TWU picking up beer cans down pine st.

So why buy the stock, have NW sell the assets (can 5th freedom be sold?) If you sell the assets, then you don't have to deal with union issues, pick the fleet routes, city you want etc. So what am I missing? It seems buying assets would be an easier way to expand

United expanding Asia Pacific service
United Airlines in the next nine months will add 40 weekly passenger flights and increase cargo capacity to the Asia Pacific region. The service will include new United service from Washington Dulles to Tokyo and three more weekly flights between San Francisco and Hong Kong.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

This clip was on the ATA news online. More headache for nwa if this happens. I would say that an AA merger would look a lot better to the big whigs if UAL keeps expanding into their honey hole.

//////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

Hello Don Smith.

If UA and CO "do the dance", A N D the "newlyweds" keep up the Asia expansion, well we'll all need to "buckle up", because the ol' US airline industry will be in for a wild ride !!!

It's NO secret, that NW(Ideally) would like to "go it alone", and AA(Ideally) would like to "go it alone" !!

However, AA is NOT stupid. In fact, they've learned WELL, the price one pays, for not acting" forcefully!
(A.K.A. PAA/UAL-1980's/Asia) :shock:

I'm VERY sure that "dougie Stealin" would be DIRECTED(by the NW BOD's) to listen to any LARGE $$$ offer that AA might propose.

Lightweight's "$$$" need not apply(DL...US/HP come to mind)

One thing is for sure, if the BIG RED tails became part of a new AA, the "Intestinal Fortitude" that they would bring, coupled with the AA line AMT's(AFW ??), would finally ensure that AMFA became a reality !!!!!!!!!

NH/BB's

It's NO secret, that NW(Ideally) would like to "go it alone", and AA(Ideally) would like to "go it alone" !!

However, AA is NOT stupid. In fact, they've learned WELL, the price one pays, for not acting" forcefully!
(A.K.A. PAA/UAL-1980's/Asia) :shock:

You're right about that NH/BB, nwa has the total lock on stupidity right now. I don't know what control Dougie has over the BOD but for my money, if I was on the BOD, he would have been ousted llloooonnngggg ago. AA would be a good fit with nwa...the route structure, etc. Maybe thats why the company is back in talks with us...to smooth out the mechanics issues before a merger and BK exit. I feel that a large amount of loan money must be hanging in the balance for them to want to talk with us. Follow the MONEY!

:down: :down: How about US' WORST :down: :down:

I live in Minneapolis and can't believe that this airline has been ALLOWED to continue to fly for as long as it has. They treat their employees and passengers like c**p. But they have had enough clout with the state government and the Metropolitan Airport Council to stick around. They nixed the new airport idea in the mid-1990's even before a comparison study was done, signing an agreement to assist the MAC in reinsulating homes in the airport noise areas. But, now they have used bankrupty block doing anything that they agreed to. As a result, Minneapolis, Richfield, Bloomington and Eagan have filed suit to hold their feet to the fire, but it has to wait until they come out of bankruptcy.

They have pushed their weight around with the MAC for years, which is FINALLY recognizing that this airline does the Twin Cities no favors. NWorst even had the audacity to suggest that the MAC order all other airlines out of the main terminal, built with PUBLIC money and seclude them to a much smaller international terminal, more than a two miles from the main terminal. They have used bankruptcy to void their employee contracts. They have reneged on employment promises that they made with the state of Minnesota in 1991, when they suckered the taxpayers into helping them "save" the airline.

Personally, I have flown them and forget about getting a greeting when you board their ancient aircraft (even older than their flight attendants.) My mom was sprayed with deicing solution several years back (they didn't close the passenger door prior to beginning the process) and didn't even offer to pay for dry cleaning. They are scum.

We have flown other carriers out of Minneapolis the majority of the time and I will gladly have an intermediate stop at another airline's hub before I fly that cr*p airline ever again. I hope that they go under.

... signing an agreement to assist the MAC in reinsulating homes in the airport noise areas. But, now they have used bankrupty block doing anything that they agreed to. As a result, Minneapolis, Richfield, Bloomington and Eagan have filed suit to hold their feet to the fire, but it has to wait until they come out of bankruptcy.

Agreements and (lack of) ethics aside, anyone that buys property near an airfield needs to accept the reality that it's going to be loud. Those that can't figure that out need to seriously wake up.

As long as the executives make money, logic be damned.
Short term gain and then bail before the long term loss.
Make a powerpoint presentation to the 'investors', cash out and move to the next opportunity.

B) UT
You couldn't have described it better. The boys in this CEO's club are each having their turn making millions. No one really wants to run an airline. Get in , get the bucks, get out. :down:

Agreements and (lack of) ethics aside, anyone that buys property near an airfield needs to accept the reality that it's going to be loud. Those that can't figure that out need to seriously wake up.

I am really tired of that stupid response to noise abatement issues around airports. While airport operations and suburban construction continue to grow, don't airport authority commissions and the airlines have a duty to improve the area ? NWA LOBBIED TO KEEP THE AIRPORT WHERE IT IS, instead of relocating to a much larger tract southeast of the metro area. In exchange for that favor, they signed a legal agreement to assist with noise abatement. So, don't homeowners deserve to get a fair shake ? Why was it ok for Orange County homeowners to get protection from noise and no one else in the US?

I am really tired of that stupid response to noise abatement issues around airports.

Well, then we're even; I find the argument that people moving into an area near an airport are somehow "owed" something by the airport and it's carriers equally trite.

While airport operations and suburban construction continue to grow, don't airport authority commissions and the airlines have a duty to improve the area ?

Only to those people lived there at the time of the great expansion. Last time I checked that didn't count anyone moving into a "close to MSP" house in the last 15-20 years.

NWA LOBBIED TO KEEP THE AIRPORT WHERE IT IS, instead of relocating to a much larger tract southeast of the metro area. In exchange for that favor, they signed a legal agreement to assist with noise abatement. So, don't homeowners deserve to get a fair shake ? Why was it ok for Orange County homeowners to get protection from noise and no one else in the US?

NWA has spent 7 billion dollars over the last several year on a new/quieter fleet. Not to mention installing soundproofing and new windows on some of the 7200 houses that as of a few years ago had been upgraded.

The MAC (as of 2003- I don't have any newer numbers to use) has spent 208 million on the program.

Look, if someone had lived in the same home for 30+ years then, yes, they deserve a "fair shake." Someone who has moved in since MSP-or any other commercial airport- has more or less reached it's current size should have done their research, and are naive if they think it won't be loud. Period.