US TATL flight diverts due to cabin crew illness

You know, crews tend to frequent places near the hotel that are perceived to be good deals, have good food, or where they get treated well.  My suggestion would be to find the common denominator which may be where they ate dinner or breakfast.  Could even be the hotel itself.

I assure you, no "job action" is involved.  Maybe it was just the same guy that was on the grassy knoll or something.  What a stupid comment.

Reactions: 2 people
Probably that crazy hotel the company keeps us.  My opinion is jaded, because I hate the place since it does not have adequate air conditioning.  Probably something like Legionaire's Disease that had the air conditioning unit as the culprit.  I hope it is not that serious, and I really hope it gets us out of that pretty-appearing dump.

nycbusdriver said:
Probably that crazy hotel the company keeps us.  My opinion is jaded, because I hate the place since it does not have adequate air conditioning.  Probably something like Legionaire's Disease that had the air conditioning unit as the culprit.  I hope it is not that serious, and I really hope it gets us out of that pretty-appearing dump.

Why does your USAPA hotel committee allow you to stay there then? APA has a hotel committee and process for hotels deemed inadequate or unsafe for crews.

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
nycbusdriver said:
Having stayed at that hotel many times on the 76, we found that the air conditioning has control input at the front desk. If your room is warm, call the front desk and complain. They will set the A/C with a colder level. I have complained twice in one night and it cooled down nicely.

Since the 330 just started serving VCE, this may be an unknown fact.
breeze 

mrbreeze said:
Having stayed at that hotel many times on the 76, we found that the air conditioning has control input at the front desk. If your room is warm, call the front desk and complain. They will set the A/C with a colder level. I have complained twice in one night and it cooled down nicely.

Nope.   Been there.  Done that.  (On many occasions...until I just stopped bidding that dump.)  The front desk control has only limited authority.  They may be able to cool it off two degrees or so, but that's it.  And they act like you are stealing their first born when you have the nerve to even ask them.

The Madrid hotel "defines" what A/C should be.

nycbusdriver said:

Nope.   Been there.  Done that.  (On many occasions...until I just stopped bidding that dump.)  The front desk control has only limited authority.  They may be able to cool it off two degrees or so, but that's it.  And they act like you are stealing their first born when you have the nerve to even ask them.

The Madrid hotel "defines" what A/C should be.
It certainly is a bit different....could have been the room location, but I was able to get comfortable.

However, of all the European destinations we frequent, VCE seems a bit different in the area of cultural differences. I don't think they understand us that well.

I found a pilot's glasses that were left in the cockpit during prep for departure from VCE. I called the hotel and tried to leave the other pilot a message about his glasses. The communication gap was so bad with the front desk, who had no idea as to being able to take a note in English, that I called dispatch to get the info to the other guy.

My biggest problem with the hotel was an occasional mesquito in the room.

mrbreeze said:
It certainly is a bit different....could have been the room location, but I was able to get comfortable.

However, of all the European destinations we frequent, VCE seems a bit different in the area of cultural differences. I don't think they understand us that well.

I found a pilot's glasses that were left in the cockpit during prep for departure from VCE. I called the hotel and tried to leave the other pilot a message about his glasses. The communication gap was so bad with the front desk, who had no idea as to being able to take a note in English, that I called dispatch to get the info to the other guy.

My biggest problem with the hotel was an occasional mesquito in the room.

Yup.  Like I said.  A "pretty-looking dump."

It's mind boggling that as such staunch union workers you allow the company to push you guys around like this and stay at substandard hotels. Is it that your union really isn't that militant and powerful or the company doesn't want to invest in their employee accommodations or both? I've joined AA F/A (int'l) friends at their hotels and they have an awesome property for London. Same with sCO crews at UA I know, they have great properties in London, Tokyo and Tel Aviv that I know of and have been to. Why does US give you substandard accommodations?

Josh

Reactions: 1 person
737823 said:
It's mind boggling that as such staunch union workers you allow the company to push you guys around like this and stay at substandard hotels. Is it that your union really isn't that militant and powerful or the company doesn't want to invest in their employee accommodations or both? I've joined AA F/A (int'l) friends at their hotels and they have an awesome property for London. Same with sCO crews at UA I know, they have great properties in London, Tokyo and Tel Aviv that I know of and have been to. Why does US give you substandard accommodations?

Josh

All these hotels are being overseen already by the AA Crew Accomodations department.   The fact is that the APA contract is less restrictive than the US contract was, so the hotels will simply get worse as the APA contract takes further effect.

Anyone can find a great property in the middle of nowhere (like, I understand, the UA TLV hotel is.)  Me?  I prefer every one of the really nice places US has kept us on the beach in the middle of the action in TLV.

In London, US is in an awesome location, which is just as important as an awesome property. Our London property, admittedly, is total crap, but it's hard to beat staying in Kensington.  Wanna make book on how soon the AA crews are at our crap hotel in London?  Tell your "AA F/A (Int'l) friends" to enjoy where they are while they can.  

AA already plans to move their MAD crews to the US hotel.  The APA contract allows for the lowest common denominator, with emphasis on the word "lowest."

In general, US does not provide "substandard" accommodations.  Besides, "substandard," like beauty, is in the eyes of the beholder.  I hate the hotels in VCE, MAN and LHR, and consider them substandard.  Many, maybe most, crew members don't see it my way.  Everyone has their personal reasons for judging accommodations.  A lot of my colleagues would sooner cut off their right arm than to lose the "free breakfast" in MAN, even though the hotel itself is the equivalent of a Days Inn.

Every hotel has its pros and cons.  Obviously for you, every hotel that US utilizes is substandard only because US utilizes it.  THAT says much more about you than it does about any of these hotels, or US/AA policy in that regard.  Your credibility is in the toilet, and has been for quite some time.  

Reactions: 6 people