US to drop PIT-LAX/SFO

From the way I read the press release from UA it seems that these flights connect to the Asia and Oceania flights. They are not timed well for any other meaningful O&D traffic. I think that speaks volumes on how good the PIT market is to LAX and SFO. US still offers connections to LAX and SFO through PHL, CLT and PHX. I think this also frees up two a/c for use elsewhere in the system.

From the way I read the press release from UA it seems that these flights connect to the Asia and Oceania flights. They are not timed well for any other meaningful O&D traffic. I think that speaks volumes on how good the PIT market is to LAX and SFO. US still offers connections to LAX and SFO through PHL, CLT and PHX. I think this also frees up two a/c for use elsewhere in the system.

I just checked the UA schedule. The SFO flights are timed for Asia connections: leave PIT in the early morning, return to PIT in the evening. The LAX flights are not timed for anything really (maybe intra-California): leave PIT in the earkt evening (same time as current US flight), return to PIT in late afternoon (possibly better then US's redeye flight).

In addition, the US flights are still in the schedule for September.

I just checked the UA schedule. The SFO flights are timed for Asia connections: leave PIT in the early morning, return to PIT in the evening. The LAX flights are not timed for anything really (maybe intra-California): leave PIT in the earkt evening (same time as current US flight), return to PIT in late afternoon (possibly better then US's redeye flight).

In addition, the US flights are still in the schedule for September.
The LAX flights give you plenty of time to make connections to SYD/MEL or AKL (NZ codeshare). I wonder if UA is looking to PIT to help shore up their yields on USA-OZ. With QF and UA it wasn't bad but add in DL and V Australia and the yields have to be nose diving.

How many cities will US pull out of to "find" profitability? It's a joke. shrink to oblivion. I know that full planes don't equal profit as it's been said a zillion times. I still don't believe any numbers that are produced. Liars figure and figures lie. Something like that. It's total BS. Oh well I don't think the city of Pittsburgh cares if people are taking UA to SFO and LAX to connect to any other city. The fact remains that US pulls out and another pulls in. I bet it also has to do with Allegheny county being able to significantly lower the fees for airlines. That was just announced recently. It's a positive move.... :up:

To be fair US is not dropping PIT. They are simply eliminating a city pair. US still serves LAX and SFO. Now you just have to transit a hub. PIT still retains service to LAX and SFO, just on a different carrier.

PIT- not a US hub. LAX SFO- not a US hub. LAX SFO- United hubs. United- Star Alliance carrier. US keeps the market via codeshare and frees up aircraft for their own hubs.

I think it's still pretty demoralizing. The California flights have been around for 25 years or so and represented some of the first truly "national" routes that followed the name change of 1979.

frees up aircraft for their own hubs.

Great plan by that executive talent U has working for them. Just what the operation needs is more a/c to saturate Philly & Clt Hubs. Just pad the scheduled times a little more to make up for Philly flow control!!!!

More jobs lost on the front line,

Will PIT still have a Station Director, Ramp Manager, Customer Service Manager, Admin Manager, and Shift Manager in Charge of Shining Shoes?

The same managerial structure they had with 400+ flights a day.

It makes one wonder if there might be some kind of impropriety going on within the management structure. There appears to exist some kind of "cozy" relationship between the regional director and the PIT station director that is being protected for one reason or another.

Bottom line, PIT has 51 departures per day, and the vast majority of them are operated by Repugnant and Air Whiskey. Suffice it to say that PIT could easily do away with at least 1 layer of management (Ramp/CS Managers) and have the Station Director title changed to "Station Manager" as it is in most stations of this size.

From what I have been told, PIT has been shipping equipment (ie. ground service equipment/bag carts/tugs/tow bars/containers) to other stations at a fairly rapid pace, and it appears that Tempe is setting them up to fail. Time will tell what their intentions are, and dropping LAX and SFO/bleeding equipment indicate that PIT will be outsourced by September at the latest.

What a shame it is to see what the spiteful kids in Tempe have done to a profitable connecting hub.

So the rumor of Pitt falling to a class b station , looks to be true? Republic will handle the work ?
:down: And the dead wood gets to stay! Don't they need more dead wood in Philly ?