US to drop PIT-LAX/SFO

From the way I read the press release from UA it seems that these flights connect to the Asia and Oceania flights. They are not timed well for any other meaningful O&D traffic. I think that speaks volumes on how good the PIT market is to LAX and SFO. US still offers connections to LAX and SFO through PHL, CLT and PHX. I think this also frees up two a/c for use elsewhere in the system.

The O&D market in PIT to LAX/SFO is essentially the same as CLT, just as an FYI.

The O&D market in PIT to LAX/SFO is essentially the same as CLT, just as an FYI.

That's not exactly true. According to 2Q08 data, CLT-LAX is about 50% larger than PIT-LAX, or about 200 PDEW more (CLT-SFO is about 120 PDEW more). And the average fares from CLT are about $80 more r/t as well.

I'm still waiting for the great "Southwest Buildup at PIT" predicted when they started service.... Anyone have the timeline on that yet?

I agree that UA is desperately trying to feed its Aussie market, with all the new competition that has entered or will recently enter. Rumor has it that VA and DL have TVs at every seat! That is SURE to spark some pretty strong competition for UA!

What a shame it is to see what the spiteful kids in Tempe have done to a profitable connecting hub.
Profitable? That's relative. As profitable as it could be versus other places that the aircraft could be better utilized? Probably not....

I love PIT, but the economics changed. The market in that metro area just simply doesn't support it.

Like most things there is more than just one issue with declining service in PIT. O&D is one of them and the other is the cost of doing business there. CLT will win hands down everyday and twice on Sunday when compared to PIT on cost. Lower cost and higher O&D generally makes for better chance at a profit.

How does their presence compare to US mainline?
Has nothing to do with USAir at all. In fact, I didn't mention USAir at all. I thought there were supposed to be 200+ WN flights by now? I could search for the thread...?

I think WN's summer schedule is -2 in PIT as well?

Has nothing to do with USAir at all. In fact, I didn't mention USAir at all. I thought there were supposed to be 200+ WN flights by now? I could search for the thread...?

Please do. I'd love to see a thread calling for 200 LUV flights. I don't think it exists.

I see you were not up to answering: how does the LUV presence compare to US mainline. How many of the LUV routes has US subsequently reduced service on? (the answer, BTW, is all of them except MDW. US dumped ORD).

Please do. I'd love to see a thread calling for 200 LUV flights. I don't think it exists.

I see you were not up to answering: how does the LUV presence compare to US mainline. How many of the LUV routes has US subsequently reduced service on? (the answer, BTW, is all of them except MDW. US dumped ORD).
Not up to answering what? I simply asked where the WN buildup was, said nothing about US. I see you are not up to answering. ;)

It's conceivable that the economic downturn has caused a lot of airlines to rethink capacity plans - even WN. It's a stretch, I know, but possible I guess.

Jim