Usairways Asks Pilots For 16.5% Pay Cut

michael707767

Senior
Aug 21, 2002
Just for reference, this would put the U pilots 5-10% below the AWA pilots.

US Airways asks pilots for 16.5 pct pay cut-report

WASHINGTON, Aug 20 (Reuters) - US Airways <UAIR.O>, struggling to avoid a second bankruptcy, has asked pilots for a 16.5 percent pay cut, USA Today reported in its Friday editions.

The airline would give pilots the opportunity to recoup some of their salaries by flying more, the paper said, citing a copy of the proposal it had obtained.

US Airways also told union leaders that wage and benefit negotiations must end on Friday so employees can vote on proposals no later than Sept. 8, USA Today said.

The company has said it needs to find $1.5 billion in cost cuts by summer's end to avoid its second Chapter 11 filing in two years.

08/19/04 23:28 ET

Copyright 2003 Reuters Limited.

Well Mr. 320PILE-IT.

Seems like your benevolent management has once again become malevolent. Oh what a surprise........Suckers will never learn.

It's all about busting the wages down which will effect all the major carriers. And you can be proud that UAIR is leading that charge :down: .

Yes, I realize that you don't like it but IT IS NECESSARY for the company to survive <_< . So you can continue to pontificate yourself into oblivion because nothing that you can say will change the fact of the matter.

When you deal with the devil....YOU always lose.

Since the other groups are balking at concessions, it seems the company has increased the amount they need from ALPA...

I wonder if the company still expects to get 35% from the CWA group.
BTW, According to some HP agents, UAIRs proposed CWA payscale is actually below theirs. Now that HP agents have voted for union reprentation and may very well get a raise, I wonder who we will be compared to next.

If I were a cynic I would add something like: If/when the company custs pay standards below every other major carrier, what will the excuse be when they still can't make money?

this company will probably continue to use hp as a model but once hp employees (hopefully) get raises, this outfit will still post losses until they realize that they need to listen to their employees and treat them with the respect that the employees down right deserve

Dont call me Shirley said:
I wonder if the company still expects to get 35% from the CWA group.
BTW, According to some HP agents, UAIRs proposed CWA payscale is actually below theirs.

The proposed U pay for pilots is definately below the HP pay.

Looking solely at payscales is deceiving. You need to factor in the # of people at each pay rate, and US is definitely top heavy.

Not Shirley,
Thanks, for comparing oranges to oranges, instead of avocados. As for HP contract, I guess there is always pararity minus 1 or 2 or......percent.

USFlyer said:
Looking solely at payscales is deceiving. You need to factor in the # of people at each pay rate, and US is definitely top heavy.
[post="170979"][/post]​

Only if you are looking at the airline's total labor cost. When you are a 15 year flight attendant (or pilot) at airline A, your only needed point of reference is your pay scale vs. 15 yr pay scale at airline B.

USFlyer said:
[post="170979"][/post]​

USFlyer...what department in CCY do you work for?

They asked AFA for 15% (that's almost doub1e the pay cut we took in the summer of 2002 which hasn't snapped back), in addition there is ALL of the snap backs(10.8%) that were scheduled are now on the table as well. That pay scale would place the "top out" f/as wages back two decades... in the early 80's. The folks in the lower pay scale would be at around MAA pay scale.

This puts us $6 per hour below America West "top out" and AW are up for raises according to their MEC President.

Its difficult to extrapolate JET Blue's top out, when their f/as get "time and half" for hours worked over 70 per month. So, U is proposing f/as work 100 hours per month instead of 80-85, according to JB pay scale, that would be time and half paid above 70 hours.....In essence, JB is even higher paid than what U managment is proposing for the f/as.under a 100 hour work month :down: