USAirways to decide on new jet orders by April 30

PHL

Veteran
Aug 20, 2002
"US Airways will choose between Boeing's 787 Dreamliner and the newest version of Airbus's A350 for longer-range aircraft, Kerr said. "

"For the 60 new narrow-body jets, US Airways will decide between updated models of the Boeing 737 and jets in the Airbus A320 family to replace its 55 737-300s, Kerr said."

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=con...id=aa0Z.wiu.REw

I thought US Airways had ordered 20 or so A350s in return for Airbus financing the merger. Was that canceled?

Either way, given US Airways' current fleet, I don't see them buying anything but Airbus any time soon.

It sounds like that the A350 they ordered isn't really the plane that will ultimately go to production. That, plus the long delay, probably gives US the right to cancel the order.

Won't they have to change the name to GhettoLiner after US gets its hands on it?

I thought US Airways had ordered 20 or so A350s in return for Airbus financing the merger. Was that canceled?

Either way, given US Airways' current fleet, I don't see them buying anything but Airbus any time soon.

I may be mistaken, but I think that Airbus loaned LCC a pile of money, some of which was in the form of deposits on the prior version of the A350. I think LCC already paid off those Airbus loans - and forgave some of them in exchange for keeping the orders.

From article

For longer-range aircraft, US Airways will choose between Boeing's 787 Dreamliner and the Airbus A350, Kerr said. The airline ordered 20 A350s, valued at $3.2 billion, in November 2005 in exchange for a $250 million loan that helped finance the merger of US Airways and America West Holdings Corp.

A350 Delays

Airbus, based in Toulouse, France, has said it expects the A350 to be ready in 2013, five years after Boeing's 787, and has only 100 orders for the plane.

``The A350 today is not the plane we ordered,'' Kerr said, referring to delays and redesigns since 2005. ``We need to know what the plane is going to cost and when it will be ready.''

The delays have reached the point that US Airways has the right under its contract to cancel the earlier order, Kerr said.

No way will US see a B787 in its fleet. That airplane is selling itself, meaning no deep discounts like they will get with the A350.

Bloomberg added to the article:
US Airways must make a decision on the 787 soon or risk losing slots in Boeing's production line.

"We have delivery positions they have promised to us for now," Kerr said. "If we don't make a decision soon, they will give those to someone else."

The jets would replace at least some of the carrier's nine Airbus A330s, 10 Boeing 767s or 43 Boeing 757-200s.

So they have pretty much ordered the 787 and are awaiting a response from Airbus before committing. Interesting.

B) B) B) Dump those 767's and order the 787's!
US should buy Boeing, better product. If they are gonna wait for the A350 why not wait till the next model, the A360. What I am implying here, Airbus keeps pushing the date back and back. They are still nowhere near any commitment. US has a better chance hitting Power Ball before the A350 ever comes out.

While I would prefer the 787 I think it will prove to costly for the cost cutters that are now running US. If they choose the 787 at this stage of the game I'm sure they would be put at the bottom of the already looooooong list of customers. I don't see many lining up for the yet to be determined A350. So either way we're screwed.