Vaccine Bonusses Coming

swamt

Veteran
Oct 23, 2010
Southwest, as of now, is not requiring the employees to get vaccinated, however, they are pushing them to get it. Not only did they hand out thousands of swag points (points that can be used as $$$) for the folks who got vaccinated, they now are going to reward all vaccinated employees with 2 days pay for getting vaccinated as a bonus just in time for X-mas. They are also mandating a new rule that all non-vaccinated employees will have to use their OWN earned benefits, such as sick, vac, F/H in order to get paid for time off if they were to get infected with the virus or related time off for being quarantined for exposure. The vaccinated employees will be given time off with pay at reg paid hours for the 10-14 days off to quarantine from exposure from someone else.
This is the highest offer so far being made by companies. As an average for mechanics is right around $1,000.00 for 2 days pay. The highest bonus offer I have heard of so far has been $200, plus a day off with pay (I think) from one of the other airlines (AA I think, again).
Just goes to show that the companies are wanting the employees to get vaccinated so not to spend for that big medical bills after getting covid-19. Another airline (Delta) is taking a different route and will charge the non-vaccinated an extra $200 bucks for their medical cost to offset some positive covid cases cost.
I am thinking the gov is still covering anyone vaccinated that gets the virus under them getting assistance for the paid time off under pandemic assistance from the gov still. Not positive on this, but thinking since the company is offering pandemic pay for the vaccinated to still get paid as if they were still at work and making the unvaccinated use their own time to get paid...

Bears, not following you completely. What do you mean by worse $$$ shape with the 'pro vaccination' stuff??
Are you saying Delta is paying out a lot in medical???

Southwest, as of now, is not requiring the employees to get vaccinated, however, they are pushing them to get it. Not only did they hand out thousands of swag points (points that can be used as $$$) for the folks who got vaccinated, they now are going to reward all vaccinated employees with 2 days pay for getting vaccinated as a bonus just in time for X-mas. They are also mandating a new rule that all non-vaccinated employees will have to use their OWN earned benefits, such as sick, vac, F/H in order to get paid for time off if they were to get infected with the virus or related time off for being quarantined for exposure. The vaccinated employees will be given time off with pay at reg paid hours for the 10-14 days off to quarantine from exposure from someone else.
This is the highest offer so far being made by companies. As an average for mechanics is right around $1,000.00 for 2 days pay. The highest bonus offer I have heard of so far has been $200, plus a day off with pay (I think) from one of the other airlines (AA I think, again).
Just goes to show that the companies are wanting the employees to get vaccinated so not to spend for that big medical bills after getting covid-19. Another airline (Delta) is taking a different route and will charge the non-vaccinated an extra $200 bucks for their medical cost to offset some positive covid cases cost.
I am thinking the gov is still covering anyone vaccinated that gets the virus under them getting assistance for the paid time off under pandemic assistance from the gov still. Not positive on this, but thinking since the company is offering pandemic pay for the vaccinated to still get paid as if they were still at work and making the unvaccinated use their own time to get paid...
Gee maybe I can retire now! Please.....

Gee maybe I can retire now! Please.....
I know. It's not all that great to some, but it is the highest bonus I have seen so far in the airlines, period. Just sharing what our airline was currently offering with the other airlines also reporting.
Someone will top it, they usually always do...

I'd rather put my trust in an actual Doctor with credentials as long as your arm than a rich politician with an agenda.

Reactions: 737MAX7
I know that this article is about American Airlines, however, please pay attention to the quote I highlighted below. IF the Feds are requiring gov contractors and subcontractor employees to be vaxed in order to continue the gov contracts, SWA will also soon be announcing the same.

"American Airlines is classified as a government contractor through its participation in the City Pair Program, the Civil Reserve Air Fleet program and its cargo contracts with the Department of Defense."

I know that this article is about American Airlines, however, please pay attention to the quote I highlighted below. IF the Feds are requiring gov contractors and subcontractor employees to be vaxed in order to continue the gov contracts, SWA will also soon be announcing the same.

"American Airlines is classified as a government contractor through its participation in the City Pair Program, the Civil Reserve Air Fleet program and its cargo contracts with the Department of Defense."

Profits before people. SWA will cave to the bs also.

You are probably right.
Guess we'll find out just how many folks will follow thru with their threats of retiring if they get mandated to get vaxed. I have heard mechanics threaten it, BUT, will they hold strong and pull that trigger is another story in itself when the time comes. I predict most will cave to it as they cannot go anywhere else making 125-140K per year right out the shoots.
This article below mentions SWA has been notified already by the Feds so we will see very soon what SWA's decision is.
I have no clue what it is now days but I do remember at one time (10 years back) SWA was receiving 50 million per year as a contractor for the Gov. We were one of the 7 airlines called upon by the Gov for the Afghanistan Pull Out.
I'm not for mandating, I am all about letting folks do for themselves as they see fit. Let it be their decisions rather to get vaxed or not. The Gov. needs to get out of trying to control Americans.

It’s too bad none of us had the vision early into WN’s incentive drive offering SWAG points for vax verification, not that I know how many submitted , to inform those who submit how that information could be used against those who oppose getting vaxed. Most coworkers I poll have either natural immunity, and therefore don’t need the vax, or are opposed to mandates. Strong opposition by common sense Americans is the only cure for government overreach.

Reactions: 737MAX7
Not sure if you were asking a question there Bird, but, they are already stating they will use the info against the folks that do not get vaxed. If you are vaxed and can proov it the following rules will apply outside of the swag points ($$$) being given already:

Vaxed folks; If a vaxed individual gets covid OR comes into contact with a person long enough (exposure) then they will be paid to quarantine without using any personal time off (vac, F/H, sick time) regular pay for the 10 days required.

Unvaxed folks; If unvaxed folks come up with covid OR comes into contact (exposure) then they will still be forced to quarantine either without pay OR they will HAVE to use their benefits of vac, F/H, and or sick time in order to be paid for time off.

Again not sure if you were asking this but I took it as you were, sorry if ya were not.

On a second note; here's an updated article where Southwest was specifically noted as being contacted by the Gov. and Southwest admits it. It's just that Southwest has not responded, as of yet, of how they will move forward like AA, JB and ALK has. I am sure they will be complying so as to keep that Gov contract alive and well (could be hundreds of millions $$$ per year)
I will be curious to how many folks may choose to leave the co. over this. I think most will comply except for maybe some who were entertaining retirement within the next, say, 3-5 years.

And now Southwest follows other airlines with the mandated vaxed employees. And this article does state you won't work for Southwest if ya don't get vaxed. For those of you who think you will just get a medical or religious waver, not so fast, if ya do you will be sent home (possibly even unpaid) under medical or some other type leave.

I believe Gary Kelly is actually relieved the govt. has given him an out. While publicly he claims he respects all employee's right of choice it all becomes lip service when he quickly capitulates to their demands. Defending weekly testing of the unvaccinated, as previously proposed, was a reasonable response to protect the rights of his employees but there was no mention of such an effort. If this extortion scheme succeeds it will not end at one round of vaccinations, it will be ongoing for years to come.

Last edited:
True. Yesterday was the day SWA officially died. The people won't care anymore. They are already beat down but gary got his money. Good job limp dick.

Reactions: Birdman