Come on Pilots, help us out! Dinasouric Pilot language of getting paid for 60 hrs even if only wor

Reserve isn't a good deal,which is why they are not going to senior pilots. If you had 30 years of seniority would you want to get a call at 0200 for a 0500 show time......NO! Why do you people continue to bash the pilots......they are doing their jobs (quite well,if I may add) just like a mech,CSA,or mgmt weenie(okay,maybe not mgmt). I think US should offer the senior(i.e. more expensive) pilots a early out.......there should not be 14 yr vets being thrown on the street. Off my soapbox,back to our regularly scheduled catfight!

I'm with execjetgirl, what on earth started this whole thing? is this a carry over from another thread? It started as your usual pilot bashing and then suddenly, the standard pregedous argument. I dont see how though?

ilg30/7:

Get paid for what they fly? Care to explain 1 for 3, 1 for 1 3/4 and the variable minimum day. Exactly what does that mean?

Come on people.......I know you dont have a clue how pilots are paid, etc. BUT, you are INSANE if you think pilots should give up 2 for 1 (Duty rigs) or minimum days!!!! I realize ignorance is bliss, however, imagine the company calls you out and says we are going to deadhead you from say, PIT, to CLT, and then you will sit all day and wait to take a flight out 4 hours later. Then, you fly 1 leg to wherever, flight time 1.2 hours. Total duty day was 11 hours ----- and you expect a pilot to get paid for the 1.2 hours at the controls, after devoting 11 hours of his/her time to the company??? That is absurd, and not the way it works, sorry! In fact, the pilots are getting ripped off by this type of inefficient use of a crewmembers time! Time is $$$$ The company should schedule more efficiently, and usually do. But paying only for hours flown would never fly. Besides, if a pilot is a reserve pilot, the 3 for 1 or minimum day(say 4 hrs pay/day minimum) only applies up to his/her minimum guarantee. Unless pilots/FA's are salary, this is how it will be. Sorry if you think it is unfair.

my guess is that if US AIRWAYS paid for actual hours that 90% of the reserve pilots would still stay at US AIRWAYS. If not then there is the door. I am not convinced in this situation that ANYONE should be getting paid to sit home and watch the tube or enjoy his/her lakefront second home.

And I'm sorry but such talk is warranted because everyone on this property knows that until we went bankrupt that the pilot group took, took and took from this company at times when other employees got nothing. Kind of like the spoiled child.

Nobody but the pilots got around a 35% pay increase over 24 months.
Nobody but the pilots got around 20% ownership of this company through pay cuts.

Pilots are one of the primary causes of this situation.

love

joesy

Josey, so in other words you would be ok with going to work and hanging out there for say 11 to 14 hours and then getting 1 or 2 hours pay to do so? Lets see at the end of the month if you did this daily would be around 40 to 50 hours of pay for the month. You know I think you are on to something why don't you set an example for all of us and volunteer for this new pay program, maybe it will catch on and we will all make Dave a very happy man.

I think it is pretty simple. Pilots are overrated.

1. They get paid for 60 even if they fly 50!
2. They somehow swindled 22% ownership of this company.
3. They are the only job classification that participates in the jets for jobs for non-wholly owns.

Frankly my dear...well you know the rest.

love joesy

Joesy,

Actually, it's more like work 40 hours --- get paid for 75. All pilots and FA's have a guarantee of 75 hours or so. Think of this as a retainer. If one flies 5 days, or 10 days or 20 days, one will not get paid any more than 75 hours until one actually flies over that amount. Your statement that 90% would stay is one of the most ludicrious things I have ever heard! So, I make myself available 20 days per month, round the clock, and perhaps get paid 5, 10, 20 or 30 hours per month??!?!? So I might make $400/month? Or maybe $1000/month? Come on......But I cant argue this with you, because you have a mindset of how things should be, even though you don't have any clear knowledge on how things work. Why dont you keep Joesy's opinions of how things should work to yourself. Everything is great in Joesy world!

Truman, all I'm saying is that your work rules are most archaic and I believe 90% of the ground employees would agree with me.

Does jetblue, America West, or some other ALPA carrier have the same 'most stringent' work rules?

And why doesn't ALPA post its contract so that all could see the truth of the situation?

I don't know the specifics of the other airlines pay rates or schedules but they are about identical. All airlines, even on demand charter have reserve crews. Jetblue for one has reasonably good pay. especially at the low end. I don't remember the exact numbers but starting pay was in the mid 30's wich is on par with most airlines

ALL airlines, including those darling pilots at Southwest, Airtran, and JetBlue have a minimum guarantee that a pilot gets paid, like I said, usually 75 hrs/month or so. No pilot would work if there was a chance he would make only 10 or 20 hours of pay per month! The only other option is to pay strict set salary's.....and have a strict, set amount of days/hours a pilot will work. But, even still, there will be pilots, on salary, collecting a check every month that may or may not fly x days or hours. It is just the nature of the business. Airlines need reserve pilots to back up in case of sick calls, crews stuck in other locations due to wx or mx. It is just reality. When I flew charter, I had a salary. Some months I flew 20 days, others only 8 or 10. The company still had to pay me the same. That isnt all that efficient to the bottom line either is it. But the fact remains......since pilots are only paid from chocks to chock, there has to be a compensation for sit time, or deadhead time. You cant control my life for 12-16 hours in a day, and only pay me for the 1 hour and 20 minutes gate to gate! Would you accept that sabre??? Remember, YOU are paid for EVERY hour that you are at work, from punch in to punch out!