Voluntary Options Opening

Ya think? I was just trying to make the point that saying things like "this will really hurt the junior International f/as or senior domestic f/as" has no meaning any more if the company gets its way. There will be one f/a corps. Some may bid only domestic trips and some may bid only International trips, and some may bid a mixture (one of the niceties of PBS). But, there will be no distinction between the two. Those who are subject to reserve must be qualified on all a/c and in overwater drills, etc because on the 3-6 days of reserve a month you might be sent out on any trip domestic or international. The senior International and Domestic f/as of today will probably bid only international or domestic trips in the future. But, once the company gets a combined f/a corps they might come back at some point and say everyone has to be qualified on everything.
The reason I said it would hurt the junior int f/as more,is the ones I have worked with when there has been a RIF act like they are to good to fly domestic.We all know no matter what changes people will still be talking about the good old days when I only flew paris.

Gotcha! You mean like the 20+ year f/as who just transferred back to DFW and are back on reserve after many years of not serving reserve at all. They are not the happiest people 3 months each year. :lol:

Of course, if we, the cushion, do get furloughed, there are going to be quite a few more with 3-6 days reserve every month than is currently thought.

Since I am somewhat anonymous on here as opposed to FaceBook, I want preferential, I want a Delta style reserve, I want everyone to be trained on everything....there I said it. I feel much better.
:ph34r:

Reactions: 2 people
“Those who are subject to reserve must be qualified on all a/c and in overwater drills, etc….”
“Woah, back it up, back it up, Beep! Beep! Beep.” ~ George Costanza

Do you think we will need quals on every A/C? <_<

Gotcha! You mean like the 20+ year f/as who just transferred back to DFW and are back on reserve after many years of not serving reserve at all. They are not the happiest people 3 months each year. :lol:

Of course, if we, the cushion, do get furloughed, there are going to be quite a few more with 3-6 days reserve every month than is currently thought.
In general, I think it means that senior people just fly high time again like they did in the old days. :rolleyes: No? If you are a commuter stuck at your base you want to work as much as possible—not just sit around. :huh:

“Woah, back it up, back it up, Beep! Beep! Beep.” ~ George Costanza

Do you think we will need quals on every A/C? <_<

The company has already said that under the combined f/a corps, there will be one, smaller, reserve pool. Now, since we will no longer have month-long reserve stints, those who are subject to reserve--like say, less than 25 years at DFW or IDF--will have 3-6 reserve days (Delta calls them A days) on their line every month. Crew scheduling will not be bothered with "we have to find someone who is still qualified on the S80 for that last one still flying." Everyone subject to reserve will have be qualified on every a/c in the fleet and be O/W qualified. Those who are senior enough to be totally off reserve will not. I may be wrong, but this is a major concession by the company compared to other airlines. I think the others that have a single f/a corps expect everyone to be qualified on everything, no exceptions. If anyone know any better, please jump in here.

It's going to be hard for commuters unless they get organized, get together, and rent a single crash pad. You have the crash pad 1st-6th next month, I have it 7-10, Louise has it 11-15, etc. Otherwise, everyone commuting to reserve days will have to rent hotel rooms. Particularly in Dallas-Ft. Worth area where there aren't that many commuters relatively speaking, almost no one rents space to commuters--a spare bedroom in some cases, but then you have to have a way to get to/from the airport.

“Everyone subject to reserve will have be qualified on every a/c in the fleet and be O/W qualified. Those who are senior enough to be totally off reserve will not.”
I think you’re right. Wouldn’t they have to draft junior people to qualify for each A/C as needed?

“It's going to be hard for commuters unless they get organized, get together, and rent a single crash pad. You have the crash pad 1st-6th next month, I have it 7-10, Louise has it 11-15, etc.”
In NYC, we have crash pads—stay one night or all month. It doesn’t matter. At DFW they use hotels mostly, I think (N*SNOOZE).

“Otherwise, everyone commuting to reserve days will have to rent hotel rooms. Particularly in Dallas-Ft. Worth area where there aren't that many commuters relatively speaking, almost no one rents space to commuters--a spare bedroom in some cases, but then you have to have a way to get to/from the airport.”
DFW and ORD have many commuters. It’s hard to Non-Rev to either place. At 0400 in the morning, when you list for your flight there are already 12 people on the list at 0401 when you refresh your browser. With this new system, I think we might have even more commuters.

System wide, what other choice is there? Serving an entire month of reserve is easier for the FA, I think, because you are at base and stay there until the end of the month (commute home if you want but sometimes—why bother? <_< ) If we have blocks it seems to me that everyone is commuting everywhere. :wacko: Am I wrong? Is this going to be a non-rev nightmare? :blink:

Personally, I think Reserve will be better and I don't think there will be more commuting, probably less. Seems to be no different than getting a few AVBL days on your schedule. Although the devil is in the details. I am warming up to the PBS system. I talked to a ton of AS F/A's, and they went to it kicking and screaming. Now they are OK with it. Some really like it, some are indifferent. In the end, I really do wish the reserve system changes to something very similar to the Delta system. I'll even say that I hope Delta buys us and kicks the sorry set of "management" out on to the street where they belong! Time to drop all the Losers.

Personally, I think Reserve will be better and I don't think there will be more commuting, probably less. Seems to be no different than getting a few AVBL days on your schedule. Although the devil is in the details. I am warming up to the PBS system. I talked to a ton of AS F/A's, and they went to it kicking and screaming. Now they are OK with it. Some really like it, some are indifferent. In the end, I really do wish the reserve system changes to something very similar to the Delta system. I'll even say that I hope Delta buys us and kicks the sorry set of "management" out on to the street where they belong! Time to drop all the Losers.

There would likely be no more APFA in that event! Will Laura Glading start working flights from JFK again?

Josh

Personally, I think Reserve will be better and I don't think there will be more commuting, probably less. Seems to be no different than getting a few AVBL days on your schedule…
The reserve list is long and the avail list is long. They say reserve needs will decrease. I wish they could be more efficient allowing for more avail days and less reserve days. Bidding avail is great because you pick up what you want and trade as needed. Crew Schedule loves my trip trader so much they’ve actually called her to help them out before. :rolleyes:

Wow! That keeps us on reserve for a very long time being that people never seem to quit or retire if it is in their interest.

Well, 25% was just the number it would never go up to. Basically, in bases like SEA, you might have a 20 year F/A with 3 reserve days, while in BOS or NYC someone with just 10 years would not have any reserve days. Also, you can pick up a trip from OT on those days and not be on call at all. And, some bases had no reserve days at all, or just one reserve day (I think TPA and SAN were like this).

...[Y]ou can pick up a trip from OT on those days and not be on call at all.
Crew schedule needs to cover the trip. If there is a trip in open time, let a reserve or avail FA grab it. Saves them a call to us and we get the trip we’d like. :wacko: Everyone is happy. :)

There would likely be no more APFA in that event! Will Laura Glading start working flights from JFK again?

Josh
How do you figure? Between AA and NWA plus the DL F/A's that want representation, it would most likely pass. I think the TW people would rather have some respresentation as well. No one knows untill it happened and there was some sort of vote, but I can't imagine why you would think the union, any union wouldn't pass.

I think you’re right. Wouldn’t they have to draft junior people to qualify for each A/C as needed?

Maybe, maybe not. I only have 10 years, but I am qualified on every a/c we fly on mainline including the 777. I would need to be O/W qualified. There are probably more "junior" International f/as who would have to be re-qualed on the S80--particularly at MIA where they have seen very few S80s in the past few years.

Latest posts