We Might Be Selling Pillows And Blankets

Dog Wonder said:
Passengers on a low cost airline will love this idea.

Maybe we can sell them seatback trays.....
[post="302941"][/post]​

Seat back trays are sold at AWA. Advertisers have already been paying us to put their advertisments on the seat back trays. Just another ingenious way to turn a buck. Expect to start seeing them on the new US Airways seat back trays.

Some make smart remarks about selling anything on the a/c. When you take amtrak or greyhound do you get ANYTHING included in your price but transportation? Sure taking a plane may be more expensive in some instances but not many. With what it costs to run the airplane and the time it cuts to fly I think that anything included in the price of an air ticket lately is a stretch. The cost of a soda on amtrak in the snack car...$1.25. Those pillows and blankets are beyond filthy. WHY should the airlines provide these for free anyway?

usair_begins_with_u said:
Stupid idea.. marginal money maker, at best... Now you have the logistics of dealing with the inventory you have to track. One more job for the over worked underpaid gate agents have to deal with. Where do you stock the inventory? Do you put a cash register at the gate? I could almost understand if you wanted to invite an independant re-seller to do it for you, while you co-brand the merchandise. U has enough trouble generating profit from operations... That guy who wrote you back was paying you lip service, and I bet you $50 you'll never see it happen.
[post="303185"][/post]​

I have a strong belief that if the New US Airways puts something inplace for pillows and blankets they will use a vendor and the vendor will take all the risks, inventory and all the extra stuff. The food on board is done this way. Don't be so near sighted and think outside the box alittle. If you still want to bet me, I figure it's even money.

EricLv2Fish said:
I have a strong belief that if the New US Airways puts something inplace for pillows and blankets they will use a vendor and the vendor will take all the risks, inventory and all the extra stuff. The food on board is done this way. Don't be so near sighted and think outside the box alittle. If you still want to bet me, I figure it's even money.
[post="303212"][/post]​

Yes, but it is another thing we will need to sell, inventory and from which to turn in money. Just another way to get in trouble if FA's are responsible.

Travelpro72 said:
I always wondered why they don't sell anything in the gate area?
[post="303228"][/post]​

Usually because the gate area is part of the airport and the airport leases concession rights that would be impaired by the airline selling stuff too.

usair_begins_with_u said:
Stupid idea.. marginal money maker, at best... Now you have the logistics of dealing with the inventory you have to track. One more job for the over worked underpaid gate agents have to deal with. Where do you stock the inventory? Do you put a cash register at the gate? I could almost understand if you wanted to invite an independant re-seller to do it for you, while you co-brand the merchandise. U has enough trouble generating profit from operations... That guy who wrote you back was paying you lip service, and I bet you $50 you'll never see it happen.
[post="303185"][/post]​
uh ,that guy who wrote me back is the new vp of marketing scott kirby. this is the new usairways. not the old one. there will be alot of "thinking out of the box" in this airline from now on . and i do not think that usairways will be responsible . i think bed bath and beyond will . so stupid is as stupid does. STUPID!!.

Travelpro72 said:
I always wondered why they don't sell anything in the gate area?
[post="303228"][/post]​

Most gate areas have storage cabinets. If not, we can store the BYOB's in the same storage room where we currently store boxes and kennels which are also being eliminated. We can make announcements prior to boarding the aircraft that blankets and pillows are available for purchase -- just like we make the FirstUp announcements for the F/C upgrades. We collect the fees in the MISC1/2 mask under the other column using a credit card. Passengers could also purchase them at the ATO upon check-in. Selling blankets and pillows would create revenue and eliminate our cost in maintaining them and taking up space onboard the aircrafts. Just my two cents!! :up:

Travelpro72 said:
Some make smart remarks about selling anything on the a/c. When you take amtrak or greyhound do you get ANYTHING included in your price but transportation? Sure taking a plane may be more expensive in some instances but not many. With what it costs to run the airplane and the time it cuts to fly I think that anything included in the price of an air ticket lately is a stretch. The cost of a soda on amtrak in the snack car...$1.25. Those pillows and blankets are beyond filthy. WHY should the airlines provide these for free anyway?
[post="303208"][/post]​
I've always believed the same thing. People have become too spoiled with air travel--everything provided for free. And get this ..the price of greyhound PHX-ORD, 14 day advance purchase: $96 OW . . .and 21 day advance on HP?? $89.00

airlinedivalish said:
Oh gosh please no! We sell enough stuff on the plane. Headsets, Food, Drinks and now Blankets and Pillows?
HP F/A
[post="303387"][/post]​

I see you fully understand my point. :)

As far as selling anything at the gate.... I think that if an airline is renting the gate space at an airport that airline should be able to sell whatever it wants. They pay enough for that gate. I don't believe there is anything that says you can't sell items at the gate. That seems a bit unreal. I think they just figure it to be easier to let the f/a's do it. As someone said before we sell food, drinks, headsets, duty-free and even some push credit card applications. With the $3.00 snack items now it's like a damn 7-11 instead of a 757. LOL. :lol:

EricLv2Fish said:
Seat back trays are sold at AWA. Advertisers have already been paying us to put their advertisments on the seat back trays. Just another ingenious way to turn a buck. Expect to start seeing them on the new US Airways seat back trays.
[post="303206"][/post]​

"New York (PRWEB) September 21, 2005 -- SkyMedia International, the company that introduced airline tray-table advertising to North America in 2003, today announced that it will roll out advertising on US Airways’ passenger tray tables on October 3 when the long anticipated merger between America West (NYSE:AWA) and US Airways (UAIRQ) becomes complete."

SkyMedia Press Release

Jim

Latest posts